Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Success stories of interior vinyl removal????

I just read an older thread that stated that all airstreams have an inner liner of aluminum that is covered by (in my case) vinyl. Is that true? Even for my 92 Excella? Is it a complete aluminum skin - ceiling to floor, wall to wall?

If so, I need any success stories of successful removal of the vinyl. I have read about how difficult it was, but nothing about success and how it was done. Anyone?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Apply Kleenstrip to the panels and let them bubble away.

Remove the vinyl from the aluminum

Rub with MEK to take old adhesive off

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Is it really that easy? It seems like everyone who is trying is have such big problems.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Make sure to read and heed the warnings prior to using MEK. That is some nasty stuff to deal with.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Not sure what mek is, but I used some regular paint stripper. It makes it bubble and then you can scrape it off. Ours is a 68, that had some charring from a portable heater flareup. There is aluminum under that. It seems to be a big job and the fumes are bad. I have since stopped. I may look into another type of finish. This is our "back-up" trailer, and is a long range not sure when I'll get back to that.
It's the rivets!!!!!
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
this thread reminds me of something my wife's uncle told me years ago when the transmission went out of my old pickup and I didn't have any money to pay a shop to fix it:"We'll do it ourselves: just jerk the old tranny out and slip a new one in."
One sentence, six days of hard, hard work. But we did it!
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
1994 30' Excella
In our "94 Excella, we used 1/2" screws with white "screw covers" from Home Depot and neatly spaced them to look like "pillow top" with the buttons slightly "puckering" the padded vinyl (sorry, don't have any pictures!). Was told by Airstream "tech support" that there is 3/4" between the "inner" aluminum skin & the "outer" aluminum. Was also told by the local Airstream Service center not to be concerned about the wiring, as it is laying loose (rather than being "glued" down) and the screws will "push" them out of the way if is encountered as the screw are inserted. All in all, it turned out quite
well, and if the vinyl comes loose elsewhere, I'll use the same "fix"
happyfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
we just tried it, found that jasco paint remover if on thick left for 15 min. then get an edge up, then take a power washer to it (if all laying outside on ground... don't do washer inside....what mess inside ha) anyway if all int. walls down the power washer bubbles it up and off and takes glue with .. however we ended up deciding since all was laying in our yard and we have a time crunch we went and got new aluminum which we haven't started cutting the holes in yet to install, that is next wks project. but jasco works.
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Currently Looking...
Osage Beach , Missouri
I am new to the forum and don't know how to post pictures, but I just finished repairing the hearliner in our 1996 WB Excella. Go to Lowes and pick up their 8' long 11/2 white wood strips. Pick up package of 1" phillips metal screws. There are packages of white plastic caps that go over the screws that match the ones over the doorway. Read your manual and locate the wiring in the cealing and then go to work. Start from the top and lay your frist strip about 1 1/2 feet from the light and then move about 1 foot down and place another. It took me about 2 hours to complete the hole frount cealing and it looks great. The strips match the vinyl and make a very nice looking job. Cost was estimated by Airstream to be $900.00 to fix this. My cost was under $12.00.
Larry Salsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome Larry...good advice.

Always nice to see another Missouri Streamer.....perhaps if not busy you can join us for the Branson Forums Rally in 2 weeks.

Click on the link in my sig box. You aren't that far from us.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote