Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question Sub floor 3/4 or 5/8? Installing Reflextix...

Need to know if the original 1963 sub floor was 3/4 or 5/8 inch's?

What is the best method for installing Reflextix under the sub floor?

Thanks for your help!

Zstream
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't know anything about Reflextix, however the sub-floor on your '63 would have been 5/8" plywood with +/- 3/32" VAT tiles applied before the c-channels were attached for a total just a bit under 3/4". Basically, you have three options:

1) In doing a "shell off resto", you can use 5/8" material + new VCT/linoleum and come up about right by re-installing the shell after the floor finish is installed - just like it was originally done.
2) If you are doing a "shell on resto" and replace it with 5/8" material you will be about 3/32" shy because you can't get the sub-floor + flooring wedged in under the c-channel
3) If you are doing a "shell on resto" and replace it with 3/4" material you will be about 1/32" proud but you can fit it in between the c-channel and frame (it's flexible enough when the rivets @ the c-channels are removed) then apply your floor finish up to the interior skin.

Whichever way you choose, if you are using your original panels/furniture for templates or re-using them things shift a bit and will most likely have to be adjusted or trimmed to fit - they don't just go back in the same way they came out.

We did ours "shell on" using 3/4" MARINE GRADE plywood for our new floor (marine grade does not come in 5/8") then installed the linoleum up to the skin and caulked all the way around the joint.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
I am in the process of doing a complete sell off of a 64 and It had a 5/8" subfloor. The flooring was not installed under my c chanel so I'm not sure if some years were done differently. One thing to keep in mind if you decide to use the 3/4" is to make sure the rivet holes will line up. My trailer has a steel plate in the front by the propane tanks and if a thicker floor is installed then these holes will no longer line up with the holes in the skin. Plus the banana wrap may give you some problems also.

Brian
briheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I replaced my 5/8 floor with 3/4 (most 3/4 in the USA is not true 3/4 it's actually 18mm, so it's slightly less than 3/4, which is helpful). Things shifted a bit, but nothing too dramatic, and the adjustments were not too hard.

As Shari pointed out, I ran my VCT flooring up to the interior panels but not under them.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I haven't heard of anyone using Reflectix under the floor yet. Is this something you read about here?
I'm planning on using 3" of ridgid foam insulation sheets to insulate under mine.
On the same note, I wonder if reflectix has any sound deadening quality to it. Anyone out there know?
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
lebanon , Indiana
I've used Reflectix. I replaced (1) complete section of flooring in my bath. Just cut it to size, stapled it on and taped the seams. I also put Batt insulation over it when I goy the floor installed.

Tim
tchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I used Prodex, which is a little different from Reflectix, in my walls. It has about 19db of sound deadening, which was one of the qualities I was looking for in new insulation. Under the floor I just want it to be waterproof as possible so I won't be using fiberglass batts, just a rigid polyurethane insulation panel.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
It is a judgement call; However, if I was to replace the floor I would go for the 3/4 and but the flooring up to the interior skin. Reason, Plywood is not made like it was in years past, it is not as strong due to the nature of the wood fiber material used today. So I believe that the 3/4 is as strong as the 5/8 of the past.

As far as "Reflectix"... I have studied all the materials out there and found this material would be nice to work with; However, it does not do much if anything in a "Aluminum frame" Airstream! I know there are many on the Forums here that have used it but I am not sure why... With out a thermal block from the outside to the inside the heat is exchanged from the interior skin through the "ribs" to the exterior skin. The "Reflectix" does nothing in slowing this down. It has no thermal mass to slow down the heat exchange... The old stand by has thermal mass to slow this heat exchange down. Reflectix does have one good thing, it ok to get wet. One last thing on Reflectix, it was designed in part with Boeing and after further test it did not work in aerospace!

Good Luck with your floor...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote