Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Storing inside skins - flat or coiled?

We removed the inside skins from Little Girl this weekend, and it will be next Spring before we can install them again. I was thinking I could save some storage room by coiling them up and storing them in a big trash can for the winter.

Are there any concerned in storing them coiled up? Or, should I find a flat place to store them?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have done the same thing - our solution was to leave them flat and screw them to a wall, one over the other - sort of like lapped boards on the side of a barn. It only takes a couple of screws along the leading edge (through old rivet holes) to hold them up.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
storage

Rolled up is fine. More room and less chance of damage. New aluminum is stored and shipped the same way.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I stored mine flat. If you coil them use paper or you will scratch the paint.

Unless you plan to redo the paint.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
We have done the same thing - our solution was to leave them flat and screw them to a wall, one over the other - sort of like lapped boards on the side of a barn. It only takes a couple of screws along the leading edge (through old rivet holes) to hold them up.
We stored ours flat in the rafters of our garage, although screwing them to the wall is a good idea if you have the wall space - ours would have had to go in our bedroom....uh, no! We have been accused of being a bit aluminum obsessed, but you gotta draw the line somewhere...that would definitely be over the top and hard to explain!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Whatever you do get them out of the project trailer - I am finally hauling mine out today after them taking up space for a year. I like the idea of storing in rafters, just now what to do with the tomato cages stored there now....

I stored the belly skins screwed to the back of the garage - nice big booming sounds alert me to when the winter storms have pulled the ends off the wall and they are flapping in the wind.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have the belly skins stored outside under the canoe rack, with a few bricks on them to hold them in place. We're going to replace those, so I'm only keeping them for templates. The inside skins will get coiled up and stored for the winter. I just don't have a long enough wall anywhere that I could hang them from.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote