Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
RMPeters

1969 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Storage Bins

Hello Boys & Girls,

a thread might have already been started on this topic, but I am a horrible "searcher" and could not find it if there was. In any event, I am looking for ideas on a solution to the storage bin problem. Luckily, when we purchased our baby it came with all of the storage bins, including the Gaucho arm bins. The problem comes in the form that these are original and 40 year old plastic is not exactly durable and strong enough to withstand kids let alone my wandering and cluttered mind first thing in the morning without a cup of coffee first. I have made some calls to ask about making moulds and making a new set and been told that 1 mould could cost upwards of thousands of dollars. Not sure that is right, but going with that for a moment I was wondering about a fiberglass repair kit and also told that the fiberglass will not bond to plastic well at all. What has someone out there done, or have an idea on what to do so that I am able to keep these from falling apart???

Csorba (aka Rob)
robertpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Check the classified for replacements. They do become available every once in a while. You could also go to Zellers or London Drugs and see if there are any Rubbermaid containers that are close in size to stand in as replacements. Failing either of those options, one could always make new bins out of sheet aluminum or sheets of rigid plastic (stop a Canada Post parcel delivery driver and ask to see the boxes they use for carrying mail, it is an opaque plastic that is folded at the corners to create a box. Very simple but functional).
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I fiberglassed the corners of my bins several years ago and it works fine. Also filled some worn through holes with epoxy putty, then spray paint.

If I were going to replace the bins I would use drawers on roll out tracks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I bought a replacement one last year. Found it on ebay for only $5 + shipping.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I would fiberglass it. Use some course sandpaper to rough up the surface first.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Mold Making

When you talk to a professional mold making place you will be quoted custom prices.
Here's an easy way to make molds- you can spend hours or days prettying the finished product up.

1-clean the inside of the bin.

2-lay into the bin a plastic drop cloth, trash bag,make sure it goes into the corners.

3- Wet out some cloth and mat with epoxy or fiberglass. cover the inside of the bin. Remember this will be your plug so put in enough for strengths sake.

4- carefully while the cloth is still wet put another plastic bag into the bin, fill this bag with sand. I usually use "play" sand from the box store.Be careful not to disturb the wet lay up. Fill the bag from the center to the sides.What you are doing is pressing the wet cloth to the inside form of the bin. Let this kick off.

5- Dump out the sand, remove the bag that held the sand.Now you have the solid fabric exposed.

6-Fill the bin with 2 part expanding foam.This gives rigidity to the plug.Let id kick.

7- Remove the plug from the bin, remove the plastic bag from the plug,

8- Now you have to make a decision. Do you want to make professional bins or just something strong enough to hold your stuff. I'll assume just strong enough to root around in.

9- Lay the plug upside down on a surface covered with a plastic drop cloth, lay the plug upside down on the cloth. You will need to have trimmed the plug flat, flatten out the foam etc.

10- cover the plug with a plastic drop cloth. wrap the plug with wet cloth and mat.How much? Lets say 2 layers of 8 oz cloth on each side of the mat to start. Let it kick. Pry it off the plug- TaaDaa

11-OR if you have a bin that is not broken you can use it as a plug. Just lay it upside down on a plastic covered work bench, cover the outside of the bin with plastic and start laying on the wet cloth.

Hope this helps, it's quite easy and you will get the hand of it quickly.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Made covers for my bins

I made canvas covers for mine and sort of taped over the holes in the plastic bins for reinforcement. I was told that I have too much time on my hands....go figure.....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Four years later it still works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorba View Post
... What has someone out there done, or have an idea on what to do so that I am able to keep these from falling apart? ...
The brown bins in my Overlander looked good, but the lip around the top had cracked in one or more places on every single bin.

My solution involved nylon string and hot-glue. After removing the PO's duct-tape "fix", flip the bin upside down and lay a couple of passes of string in the groove. Tieing or knotting the string is not required. Then cover the string with hot-glue.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Or you could go to the auto parts store and get a quart of fiberglass resin with the fiberglass cloth included. Cut the mat to cover the cracked or worn through area, mix the resin with the catalyst, stir, and apply. It'll be dry in an hour or so.
Just do this outside, as it stinks, and you will get a contact buzz from the fumes.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Storage Bins Available / Needed

I have many storage bins available, and only need 1 particular size:

AVAILABLE:
(approximate dimensions)

19-1/2" L x 17" W x 7" D QTY 6
These came out of a '64 Overlander "dresser"

24-1/2" L x 18-1/2" W x 3-1/2" D QTY 3
These came out of a '64 Overlander - kitchen drawers (note to lazy self update my thread with pictures of my new drawers,cabinets and fridge)

NEEDED:

30" L x 17" W x 7" D QTY 1
This is the longer drawer that goes under the front gaucho.

I am willing to trade/sell/barter, etc. I have no use for these drawers, they are just taking up space in the garage. Conversely I really, really need the one drawer.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
more storage bins available

I also have some brown plastic bins available, from a '72 Overlander, all in great shape. The problem is shipping them, as they don't nest, but PM me if interested. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #12

birmingham , Alabama
1972 overlander

can i get one brown front storage bin from you? please reply to:
thewarrens2007@gmail.com
many thanks!
thewarrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Jackson Center

Last time we were at the plant in JC their store had some brown bins. Don't know what size. If you don't see what you want from the Classifieds, you might call JC.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
duct tape,the cure all!
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Have 3 large beige ones available

these bins need a good home....I think I have 3 of the large beige bins that were in a 69 Twin bed Overlander...I cleaned them, duck taped some cracks and made liners for them.....am in the Los Angeles area....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote