Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Barstow , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Y2k_Knight
Smile sticky? icky...

I'm considering the purchase of an Excella 500 that has spent the last 10 years in storage and 16 yrs in storage before that.

There seems to be a build up on an oily, sticky substance. It's really just a thin layer but the wife can only see hours of cleaning to clean it all.

Does anyone know of any good, fast, easy ways to clean that goop off?

I would consider paying a service as long as it wasn't an open-ended deal.
Y2k_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Here are a couple of links to threads which discuss this problem.

I had the same problem in my 69 Tradewind. For that year the wall covering on the aluminum interior was a cream colored vinyl finish.

I had wonderful luck with Tilex brand bathroom cleaner, disinfectant and mold remover. Its been two years and there were no adverse effects to the covering or aluminum underneath. The only thing I would highly recommend is to find an inconspicuous place to try it on and definately have the windows open and wear a respirator if you are going to do a large area at one time. Be sure to cover other materials such as wood, cloth etc. from overspray to avoid bleaching those items.

It removed all the stickiness from the surface on my vinyl interior and it enhanced the cream color finish.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...lls-47266.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...alls-6464.html
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I became a believer

Humm. The microwave in our house is located above the stove and gets nasty. For the longest time, I worked myself silly trying to clean it with 409 and similar solutions. By chance, I took some good ol' Mr. Clean, poured it undiluted on a rag, and went at the mess. To my amazement, the stuff removed all grease and grime in a single pass.

Lynn
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
You didn't mention the age of the Excella 500 - the 70's & 80's trailers had a vinyl covering over the aluminum inner skin that seemed to leach a sticky ooze. From what I understand, this is due to the glues used plus the nature of the vinyl.

We've used both Contractor's DeSolveIt and Krud Kutter to remove that oily sticky substance. Follow the recommended application instructions & rinse after application.

Once the ceiling & walls are clean & free of the sticky, oily stuff, apply a coat of clear acrilic floor sealer. This retards leaching of the sticky stuff & makes the walls/ceiling easier to clean.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I do not think the glue or whatever holds the vinyl onto the aluminum interior walls is the culprit, nor do I think it is leeching thru the vinyl in any way.
If that happened we would find areas where the vinyl was totally loose from the aluminum and either flaked or bubbled. I have never seen nor heard of that.

I think it is outgassing of something in the vinyl itself. The greasy effect is found on many vinyl items that are not glued to anything.
Barbie Dolls, faux Leather sleeves on award jackets, car interior parts, to name just a few that I have seen reported.
Because of this hypothisis of mine, I have often wondered why the Future Floor Wax would work well. What happens if the effect happens beneath the wax?
Or does the wax seal air away and maybe air is necessary in the reaction?

It would be great if someone in the Aluminum sheeting industry would explain the adhesion process of the vinyl to the metal. This greasy mystery is long overdue for a explanation and hopefully a solution.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote