Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Steam Cleaner

I recently purchased one of the little steam cleaners (you know, the ones that started out as "Seen on TV" deals) as a birthday present for THE MAN. He likes to grill alot and always complains about how hard it is to clean the gunk from the grill after it builds up - hence the steamer. But, I was thinking of using it (after I give it to him, darn it!! ) to clean the vinyl walls in the trailer, especially now that we have the galley out - there is quite a difference in wall color above and below. I wondered if anyone else has one of these and whether they have used it in their AS, and if so, where? Curtains, floor, aluminum screen door or windows? Just want to be safe before I go bananas with it. Oh, and inside the stove - the part between the oven and top, where the gas line and burners are connected, is quite rusty. I have taken out the burner jets and used a wire brush to try to scrape most of it out, but there are some areas I can't reach. Do you think the steamer would work in there? We will be painting w/Rustoleum after, so want to get it as best I can. His B-day is toward the end of the month, so guess that gives me a bit of time to collect your ideas on how to use his new gift

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lucky Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
I recently purchased one of the little steam cleaners (you know, the ones that started out as "Seen on TV" deals) as a birthday present for THE MAN... His B-day is toward the end of the month, so guess that gives me a bit of time to collect your ideas on how to use his new gift
I had to buy my own I got the one from Home Depot. It works great! I use the wide brush attachment to clean down the walls. The brass brushes are excellent for the stove top (mine was very grungie ) And it works well for getting the gunk out from between the panel seams.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
How hot does it get? I might use it on me, sort of a sponge bath. I've got stuff on me that I haven't been able to get off for years.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Aaron would you mind giving us the name and model of the steamcleaning thing/

What was the cost? How does it work? i.e. how do you get the steam out of the container? Is it possible to accelerate it?
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
Aaron would you mind giving us the name and model of the steamcleaning thing/

What was the cost? How does it work? i.e. how do you get the steam out of the container? Is it possible to accelerate it?
The one I purchased came from Home Depot it was a Singer/IGIA brand. Here is at least one place to purchase them:
Singer Steamer It cost $50. You fill the tank with water, then plug it in and wait a couple of minutes then steam away. There is no way to accelerate it that I know of. It isn't the fastest thing on earth but it gets the job down and is fairly compact.

If you really want to do a Tim Allen get one of

these Bad Boys

We have an older version that we use for cleaning heavy equipment.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:52 AM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I'm glad to hear that I got something that he will like!! I got the EURO-PRO Super Steamer. When you said something about a wire brush, I had to go look, cause I didn't remember that - but, sure enough it has one and even shows it being used on the grill. Was there any special precaution you took to clean your oven/stove w/it? Cover anything? Can't wait to try (I mean let "HIM" try it out!).

PS Mr. Tin Hut - you are such a hoot....

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote