Been about two months since I last posted to this thread. Made some progress, probably not as much as I would have liked to, but we all know how a big job can have it's slow times. This past winter was colder and as I get older, I'm less able and willing to tolerate the cold when working, so things just get put off a bit.
It took about a month of working an hour or two at a time to get all the parquet tiles up. I used the HF tool with the flat blade to get under all the tiles, one at a time, sometimes a half or quarter at a time till they all came up. The floor is still somewhat gummy from the old adhesive and has quite a few nice divots that came out with the old glue. So I've bought 4 sheets of 1/8" luan as an underlayment for the new floor which will most likely be a nice sheet vinyl. Final selection is dependent on what my better half likes, but I think the sheet vinyl will be less susceptible to shrinking at the edges like planks would be. I've got to do some more scraping of the goo and have some floor leveling compound to put down, but it's getting there.
While the weather was warm yesterday, I installed a new 7 pin plug on the trailer side. The old one was original and quite brittle. Of course there was some "custom" wiring mods by the PO, so I haven't used any sealant on it yet till I can test it out and make sure it all works.
The big accomplishment this weekend has been the successful removal of the wing windows in one (actually two) pieces. I've gone back and forth on this part of the job and debated on leaving them alone for now, but decided I'd rather have the trailer take a bit longer but have them done once and for all. I also have one stack window that will get the treatment on the street side and one by the door that I'm still not sure about. Interestingly enough, they are two different kinds of windows.
The street side stack uses the big "C" clip to hold the inner plastic pane in place. That clip and lots of gummy putty is all that held it in. Gummy putty is still all that his holding the outside glass in, but I'm holding off on taking that glass out for a little bit.
The curbside stack is the type that would necessitate drilling out all the rivets to take the whole frame out so it would then separate into two halves to remove the glazing. It's not in too bad shape so it will be the last to get touched, if at all.
And finally, here are some pics from pulling out the wing windows. As it turns out, the curb side window was held in with olympic rivets and came out relatively easy. The streetside window had bucked rivets and took quite a bit more persuading to get it out and away from the body. The putty on the inside also appeared much neater, as if it came from the factory like that.
Probably the hardest part of taking out ether window was the locking strip between the wing and center window frames. On both sides it was quite stiff and took quite a bit of hammering with a punch and hammer to push it down and off. Someone had riveted them through the top and on the first side I probably didn't drill out enough of the old rivets and so it dragged all the way down. I made sure on the second window to get them all the way out and used some pb blaster to help lube the bar so it slide easier.
I have a sun visor on the front and elected to leave it on for security, so it isn't obvious that two windows are missing and covered up with foil. Kinda like wearing sun glasses when you have a black eye.
Tapping out the center lock bar:
Drilling out the rivets on the curbside. Olympics are easier to drill in that if you use a pin punch on the top, it pushes down the shaft which gives you a nice start to drill out the center.
Streetside window out:
Streetside frame from the inside. Notice how neat the frame looks, nice and straight:
Curbside frame, notice how bent up the lower sheet metal is. The window was riveted to only the outside skin and not through to the frame like the other side. What I will probably do is secure the skin to the frame before I remount the window. I may have to redrill some of the holes since I doubt they will still line up.
Curbside window out:
Holes covered over with foil and foil tape.
Next step will be to open up the wing windows and see what surprises await. One I get some measurements, I'll decide whether to put both panes back in or just one. And I'll order some of the window tape that will position the glass against the frame. Hope this helps anybody else that has to fix these windows down the road.
And we ordered two Lambright recliners in Navy for the front. Should be here in about 4 weeks give or take. Hopefully the floor will be done and the interior painting done besides having the windows reinstalled. Should be a busy month.