Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Well, thanks much for your journal and pictures. They are really helpful. I'll be doing this on my '76 in about a month!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Looks like you are getting it done unlike some of us!!!! I have been busy but that is about to change I have to get something done! Keep updating it keeps me moving.
Cliff

Old 03-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Not going to get to this tonight and not this weekend so I thought I post some pix of one of the windows. This is the one I have gotten the farthest on. I removed most of the screws that hold the mount flange to the inside frame. One is stripped out on the head and one snapped off inside. Probably using steel screws on aluminum so bimetallic corrosion is holding them in. I can honestly say I didnt expect to see the inner tenons or slots that hold in the glass in separate sections. No wonder it leaks, I would have thought they would bind the two panes of glass together as a sealed unit. Oh well.

The whole window:

The two buggered up screws:

See how the inner pane sits in its own "slot"

A good view of how the outer flange is also the inner frame and secures to the main frame:

I had thought about trying to reinstall both panes, but seeing how the frame is designed, I'll probably just mount the outer pane since it would be easier to seal it up. I think this window has been removed and opened up at least once before. The other window had the buck rivets holding it in and took a lot more to get it out. The screw heads have some sort of sealant over them and I have to figure out how to soften it up and clear the phillips slots before I try and get them out. Lots of fun ahead.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
The wing windows are back in.

The wings are back in. Yesterday I reassembled the frames and set the outer frame/glass back in using trempro to seal them with stainless screws holding the outer frame to the outer glass. It could have gone smoother, but like anything you try for the first time, you make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Here is the outer frame (sits on the outer skin), reassembled after cleaning.

Some things to point out. When you pull out 40 year old windows and pry them apart, they tend to get a little beat up, especially if several of the screws that hold it together strip and it takes some persuasion to get them apart. To my credit, I didn't break any of the glass and now have two spare panes in case either side gets damaged.

I also tried to upgrade the old steel screws that held the outer frame together to some stainless versions. Problem is that the original screw is specially tapered and it has to fit into a slot that is open on one side. I even went so far as to grind the threads off the end of the screw but it still would not feed in correctly. In the end I had to re-use the original screws, thankfully they did not get buggered up. On one frame, I had to move the screw from corner/side to the adjacent one since the stainless screw had opened up the slot too much. I got it to hold together, nuff said.

This is the frame with the outer glass. I chose not to disassemble it but scraped the edge and laid down a new bead of Parbond. Let me go on record by saying I HATE Parbond. It is never easy to work with, and it never looks really neat like other sealants.

The cleaned up frame with a bead of trempro sealant waiting for the glass frame to sit in it.

I used new stainless pan head screws to hold the two frames together. In the spots that the old screws had broken or stripped, I drilled new holes. I also ground down the tips of all the screws so they couldnt poke through, not being sure if the original assembly was thicker with the old sealant. I didn't take any pictures of the completed windows, it was late and I was tired. I got back to it this morning and spent a good amount of time cleaning up the outer skin to accept a new layer of trempro.

The first window took the longest amount of time to mount. No pictures of the empty holes, my hands were dirty and the camera was inside. I ran a bead of trempro on the outside and set the windows back in. It took some finagling to get it to line up properly and I went from one side to another with the olympic rivets to get the frame to snug up to the skin nicely. There was lots of squeeze out of the sealant, but that all cleaned up. Finally I tapped down the new joiner bar and the window was in. The second window went quicker, it had never been out before and the holes weren't as raggedy, but for some reason the new joiner bar took quite a bit more persuasion to go all the way down.

Olympic rivets needing to be shaved. Will do those in a day or so when the sealant dries.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I also got the one stack window out and back in. It had been held in with that lovely butyl caulk. I got the glass out and spent about an hour cleaning up the frame and the glass. I would have liked to use some of the new shimmed sealing tapes but since this was the only window and I wanted to make progress I decided to reuse some rubber spacers that were already there and then lay the glass in a bed of trempro and use that to seal the glass to the frame.

Bedded in:

Window installed, waiting for the sealant to set up.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Progress note update

With the warm weather I've been hitting it pretty hard, trying to get this trailer back on the road by June. Front section ceiling and walls were painted the off white and I've gotten the 1/8th inch plywood down as the underlayment for the loose lay vinyl plank flooring that is sitting in the garage waiting its turn. The wing windows are done and I've painted the trim to match everything else, a finish that looks like a metal flake aluminum.

I also picked up some new LED rv fixtures that go underneath the end cap. These came in the typical off white plastic, so in a fit of inspiration I decided to give them the silver finish along with the trim rings for the eyeball lights as well.

Before paint:

Sprayed, then clear coated.

Done.

Trim rings:

Fresh paint and the screens back in the front. Still painting the trim for the stack window, but that has been resealed.

Got the first of the homade vent fans put up in the front. I'm hoping to redo the lighting fixture but for now will reuse the old ones for now to get it back on the road. More details here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...an-134139.html

The little control module from Amazon that give it variable speed and forward/reverse.

The front is coming together:

But I'm not crazy about this. I'll probably do something with the silver finish for the back but its still going to have that yellow looking front:

I've also been cleaning up the rear bedroom area. I had to reinforce the upper cabinet over the streetside bunk. I was amazed how loose it was and had to use several strategic screws to tighten up up. The ceiling and walls were cleaned and the bunk lamps and all the window stuff taken down in prep for the paint. The side wall will be done in the white and the dark wood will be painted a solid color along with the wood front of the bunks. I've also got some nickel finish hardware to replace all the discolored brass stuff already there.

I will be reusing the bunk lamps/shelves as well. If only I was so enamored of copper, but I think they will finish up nicely with the silver flake as well.

And the stars of the show came in this week, the two lambright recliners. They are a navy blue, but the picture makes them look a little brighter.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
For the last couple of weeks, I've been pushing on getting this trailer put back together so we can take her out the second week in June. The interior painting is largely complete and I put down 1/8th inch ply on the floor as the underlayment for the vinyl planks. Still a lot of work to do, including trimming out the new floor with some base moldings as well as some moldings between the bulkhead walls and the inner skins.

Painting the dark 70's woodgrain:

Underlayment down:

Test layout for the planks for best fit:

Snapped a chalk line then laid down the first two rows to establish the layout:

Coming together.

All cut and laid down. Still have some glue to put down on the perimeter:

I'll pick up the moldings this weekend and try and get that done. Lots of little items left to put it all back together. Thanks for looking.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Looking sharp! I like the wood color you chose for the planks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 06-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks Matt. I have been working it every night since we are supposed to be using it this weekend, but havent had time to take more pix. Plus its still really messy inside and I wanted the final round to look better. All the trim work is done and what is left can probably wait till it comes back from the campground. I just have to hang the curtains back up, bring in the two recliners and then hook up propane and make sure all the gas appliances still work.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Looking back I realize that I never really showed the final results of the work in this thread. The loose lay floors went down and were trimmed out. I also trimmed out the bulkhead wall by the fridge and put a couple of new Lambright recliners in. So here are a few pics to show where it has all ended up this year. Most likely I'll go ahead and work on the upper cabinets this coming winter which should be the last of the interior renovations we do.

New recliners, new LED spot lights on either side:

I pulled down both the valences and removed the aluminum strip that had the vinyl that matched the walls and low and behold, a nice clean aluminum surface underneath. I fabricated some new end caps out of mahogany and remounted them with some upgraded LED strip lights to wash the ceiling with light.

The interior woodgrain was painted with an oil base paint, the walls and ceiling done in an off white and the bed cabinet base in a blue.

Upgraded the lighting on both sides forward and aft above the cabinets. I used some aluminum strips that I mounted LED strips to and those are mounted on the top edge of the cabinets to wash the ceilings with indirect light.

I modified the front and rear vents with some automotive radiator fans with electronic speed controls. The original intent was to construct new diffusers with new led lights, but good intent tends to get overtaken by lack of time and energy. So here are a few photos of that work:

The other threads that covered parts of the work are here if anybody is interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...an-134139.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...ge-134252.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ns-130964.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-128727.html

Thanks for looking.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

1975 24' Argosy 24
PLYMOUTH , North Carolina
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Hi Bob! Reviewing your thread as I need to tackle the wing windows on our 72. The interior between the glass panels looks like it has dried brown sugar all around the edges. To clarify from your photos, it looks like once you get them out the two panes seat into individual channels, correct? I've been so worried about having to pry these panes of glass apart.

It sounds like you used tempro to seal the glass panes back into their slots, is that correct? Or was that to seal the window back onto the outer skin when you reinserted it?

Thanks so much for your post!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
Hi Bob! Reviewing your thread as I need to tackle the wing windows on our 72. The interior between the glass panels looks like it has dried brown sugar all around the edges. To clarify from your photos, it looks like once you get them out the two panes seat into individual channels, correct? I've been so worried about having to pry these panes of glass apart.

Yes, both glass panes sit in there own individual channels. To get the whole assembly apart, you have to get the screws out of the side that holds it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
It sounds like you used tempro to seal the glass panes back into their slots, is that correct? Or was that to seal the window back onto the outer skin when you reinserted it?

Both. I used it to seal in the glass into the channel and then used the tempro to hold and seal the frame onto the aluminum of the body. It works well for either use, and stays flexible enough to cushion the glass in the frame.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 10-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Bob, what did you use for paint on the interior skins? How has it held up?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote