The wings are back in. Yesterday I reassembled the frames and set the outer frame/glass back in using trempro to seal them with stainless screws holding the outer frame to the outer glass. It could have gone smoother, but like anything you try for the first time, you make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.
Here is the outer frame (sits on the outer skin), reassembled after cleaning.
Some things to point out. When you pull out 40 year old windows and pry them apart, they tend to get a little beat up, especially if several of the screws that hold it together strip and it takes some persuasion to get them apart. To my credit, I didn't break any of the glass and now have two spare panes in case either side gets damaged.
I also tried to upgrade the old steel screws that held the outer frame together to some stainless versions. Problem is that the original screw is specially tapered and it has to fit into a slot that is open on one side. I even went so far as to grind the threads off the end of the screw but it still would not feed in correctly. In the end I had to re-use the original screws, thankfully they did not get buggered up. On one frame, I had to move the screw from corner/side to the adjacent one since the stainless screw had opened up the slot too much. I got it to hold together, nuff said.
This is the frame with the outer glass. I chose not to disassemble it but scraped the edge and laid down a new bead of Parbond. Let me go on record by saying I HATE Parbond. It is never easy to work with, and it never looks really neat like other sealants.
The cleaned up frame with a bead of trempro sealant waiting for the glass frame to sit in it.
I used new stainless pan head screws to hold the two frames together. In the spots that the old screws had broken or stripped, I drilled new holes. I also ground down the tips of all the screws so they couldnt poke through, not being sure if the original assembly was thicker with the old sealant. I didn't take any pictures of the completed windows, it was late and I was tired. I got back to it this morning and spent a good amount of time cleaning up the outer skin to accept a new layer of trempro.
The first window took the longest amount of time to mount. No pictures of the empty holes, my hands were dirty and the camera was inside. I ran a bead of trempro on the outside and set the windows back in. It took some finagling to get it to line up properly and I went from one side to another with the olympic rivets to get the frame to snug up to the skin nicely. There was lots of squeeze out of the sealant, but that all cleaned up. Finally I tapped down the new joiner bar and the window was in. The second window went quicker, it had never been out before and the holes weren't as raggedy, but for some reason the new joiner bar took quite a bit more persuasion to go all the way down.
Olympic rivets needing to be shaved. Will do those in a day or so when the sealant dries.