Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #1

1964 26' Overlander
Lake Placid , Florida
Stain for interior wood in 64 Overlander

Hello Folks,

I will be sanding, staining and sealing all the interior wood in our 1964 Overlander within the next week. It has the original finish on all the cabinets at this time, but REALLY needs to be refinished. I can not describe the original color. It's light, somewhat green or gray, I'm not very good on colors. If anyone has done a re-staining job on a unit like mine, PLEASE let me hear from you. If all else fails I will just go with a light color. I don't care for dark wood in the AS. Thank you in advance. Jim
judashand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The color that you described as the wood in your coach sounds like what our original color used to be. The PO of or Trade Wind sanded and restained it with Minwax Light Oak. Here is it when we bought it 2 years ago. It should give you some idea(s). 1966TW_SO246012
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Wood Stains

Hi Jim,
I had to refinish sections of my cabinets and also replace sections that were damaged.

If you are reconditioning old surfaces first you have to carefully sand out damage but not sand through the veneer. I used a rotary palm obital sander with a vaccum hose attached. (One of my best tool investments) Using fine to very fine to very very fine sandpaper work down to the surface as clean and as close as you can.

The stain you describe I would call "Danish Modern" which is what I also have. I looked everywhere for this color and finally figured it out that I could buy small amounts of latex paint colors and mix them to match the existing stain. being an solid stain this works well. Have a test board to trial and error or and also rags, paper towels, thinner and water ready to rework the surface.

The green/gray you describe could be a sage and a light tan with some white mixed in. It can be washed in with layers, some areas more then others because of the nature of the wood.

Parts of my interior wood were in great shape and untouched and what I used as a reference. As the final cover I used a fast dry polyuratane satin finish varnish.

I will try to include a few before and after photos. Before and after
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	destruction 001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	53623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 021 [800x600].JPG
Views:	329
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	53624