Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1964 22' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Spray Foam Insulation

I am wondering if anyone has used open or closed spray foam insulation in their trailer. I am speaking of the professionally applied foam such as Demilic Sealection. In construction we use it to insulate and it is trimmed with shears after being sprayed in place. The closed cell insulation is obviously mostly water impermeable so I am not sure how that would affect things, although the R value for closed is R7 per inch. I think the R value of open cell is R3 or close to that. Although the performance value is higher. If I am not mistaken, open cell foam is R27 performance wise on a 3.5 inch stud wall. We don't use closed cell on exterior attics and walls because it would not let moisture out.

So just wondering if anyong had any thoughts!

Chris Crimmins
chriscrimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. Spray on (or any) foam insulation is not a good idea. The movement of the walls and outer skin will make the foam crumble to powder. This is any foam insulation, no exceptions.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1964 22' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Spray foam only adheres to one surface though while letting the other side float. Not trying to second guess your advice just thinking.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Avion used spray foam in there coaches. Check page 10 of this 1970 brochure:
http://silveravion.com/downloads/arc...e_brochure.pdf

I looked at a few Avion's before buying my Airstream and saw no signs of foam deterioration
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I'am a great believer in spray-foam insulation, the correct foam type, properly applied, can be a good thing. However, many on this forum are totally against, if not aghast at it's use. Their are many threads discussing the use of all kinds of insulation materials and the pro's/con's of each type. Insulation topics are a heated area of opinion.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I used to believe in foam insulation, but I've opened several Airstream walls with it used, and the majority of it was in powder form, at the bottom of the walls. Add to that other forum members' bad experiences and acrimony to foam, and you would see why I (and many others) agaist its use.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrimmin View Post
I am wondering if anyone has used open or closed spray foam insulation in their trailer. I am speaking of the professionally applied foam such as Demilic Sealection. In construction we use it to insulate and it is trimmed with shears after being sprayed in place. The closed cell insulation is obviously mostly water impermeable so I am not sure how that would affect things, although the R value for closed is R7 per inch. I think the R value of open cell is R3 or close to that. Although the performance value is higher. If I am not mistaken, open cell foam is R27 performance wise on a 3.5 inch stud wall. We don't use closed cell on exterior attics and walls because it would not let moisture out.

So just wondering if anyong had any thoughts!

Chris Crimmins
Spray on foam insulation was tried by Airstream in a few 1969 entrance doors.

It was a huge failure.

Dometic used it in the reefer doors. Again a huge failure.

Spray in foam also contains formaldehyde, which has been deemed very unhealthy to breathe.

Trailers that were quickly made for victims of Katrina, contain spray insulation, that the feds are raising devil about, because it has been causing many health problems.

Spray on foam insulation, if you don't mind the health hazard, will not take vibration of any kind. Vibration will cause the foam to turn to powder.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Several aircraft manufactures tried injecting foam insulation several years ago and was a complete failure. The foam broke down and then was saturated with water that caused severe corrosion internally. Great for static structures but terrible with anything dynamic.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Squeaky Insulation

Back around 79 I was customizing a van. A freind was doing the same with his. He used spray insulation, I used fiberglass with a spray glue to hold it in place until the wall were installed. I never had a problem.

His van was -- well a bit squeaky
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
This is always an interesting subject so I'll add my perspective. Personally, I wouldn't use it, however I have been known to use mastic to attach blue styrofoam boards to the inside surfaces of exterior skins to improve the R-value of the wall. Again, like I said I wouldn't spray or pour in urethane foam in the walls of an Airstream for a couple reasons. First, it is exothermic, meaning when it is expanding as it is sprayed or poured, it gives off heat, which could cause distortion in exterior panels. Second, it expands when it is sprayed or poured, this could make the exterior of the trailer look like the "Michelin man" if not controlled very carefully. As for crumbling, my experience using poured closed cell urethane foam (US Composites 2 lb. density closed cell urethane) in windsurfing boards has shown the foam to be extremely durable. Consider that most surfboards are made from the stuff. Perhaps the foam that was experimented with above wasn't up to the durability specs of that used in surfboards. Closed cell urethane foam won't absorb much water so it's a good material to use for floating docks, but open cell foam is easily saturated and it does not give up the water very easily, leading to corrosion.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1964 22' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
This is always an interesting subject so I'll add my perspective. Personally, I wouldn't use it, however I have been known to use mastic to attach blue styrofoam boards to the inside surfaces of exterior skins to improve the R-value of the wall. Again, like I said I wouldn't spray or pour in urethane foam in the walls of an Airstream for a couple reasons. First, it is exothermic, meaning when it is expanding as it is sprayed or poured, it gives off heat, which could cause distortion in exterior panels. Second, it expands when it is sprayed or poured, this could make the exterior of the trailer look like the "Michelin man" if not controlled very carefully. As for crumbling, my experience using poured closed cell urethane foam (US Composites 2 lb. density closed cell urethane) in windsurfing boards has shown the foam to be extremely durable. Consider that most surfboards are made from the stuff. Perhaps the foam that was experimented with above wasn't up to the durability specs of that used in surfboards. Closed cell urethane foam won't absorb much water so it's a good material to use for floating docks, but open cell foam is easily saturated and it does not give up the water very easily, leading to corrosion.

Thanks for the great reply. In my experience of using the spray foam it does give off a generous amount of heat. I will say one thing though in reference to the few above comments about the off gassing. The new foam is usually soy based and is not near as volatile as foam in the past. If you are only spraying on one surface, I don't believe the expansion part would hurt the skin since it expands towards the path of least resistance. outward. Anyway, thanks for the great comments.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Several aircraft manufactures tried injecting foam insulation several years ago and was a complete failure. The foam broke down and then was saturated with water that caused severe corrosion internally. Great for static structures but terrible with anything dynamic.
Bingo! we have a winner! Spray/Expanding foam has it's uses. But Airstreams aren't one of them. YMMV

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
We have had two trailers in for segment replacement in which someone had installed spray foam for insulation during a restoration. In both cases the foam was very well bonded to the interior and exterior skins. In order to replace the damaged segments we had to disolve the foam using nasty chemicals. In one case the insurance company totaled the trailer rather than paying the cost to remove the foam. We also noted that there was heavy filiform corrosion on the backside of the aluminum in the places where water could accumulate.

We insulate with Polyisocyanurate foam panels to achieve about R-12 in our projects. The panels are faced with aluminum which allows us to use aluminum tape to form a sealed vapor barrier and keep the moisture away from the skin. We order a specific type of polyiso foam which contains a high number of glass fibers and a high carbon black content. The glass and the foil keep the foam from breaking down into the "dust" others have described. The cabon black significantly reduces the flammability of the foam. It is waterproof.

While "polyisocyanurate" is a terrible sounding name the product is quite green. It does not contain formaldahyde. It does not off-gas nasties into your confined cabin environment. In the event of a fire it does not off-gas toxins.

The main draw back is that it requires about 3 to 4 times longer to install than fiberglass.

Fiberglass is frequently treated with formadahyde to prevent mold formation and rodent and insect infestation. In year round use in cold climates fiberglass can become water laden through condensation and loose all of its insulating qualities.

Brett Hall
Timeless Travel Trailers

Timeless Travel Trailers
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
where does one get this "polyisocyanurate" form? And how is it installed?
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The varieties and qualities of insulation have changed a lot in recent years. For example, some spray foams expand very little because of complaints about ones that expanded so much they caused problems such as distorting vinyl windows. I have no idea about spray foam turning to dust, but perhaps newer ones don't do that.

Polyisocyanurate panels have been available for some time and have different qualities depending what you order. I'm not sure what you can get at places like Lowe's, but building supply stores should be able to advise you about what is available. Foam panels should be available with much better R value than the fiberglass Airstream uses. The hard part about foam panels is making exact fit because it's the air spaces that are the problem. The best insulation isn't worth much if there are air spaces and that's why people love spray foam. I like the idea of using aluminum tape. The metal ribs transmit so much heat, it's hard to insulate these trailers really well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Streamline also used spray-in insulation by about 1970; it'd be nice to see how well or poorly this method worked if anyone has seen the interior panels of a Streamline or Avion. I'm guessing, based on the above comments, that it was not so effective long-term, but, still, it would be nice to put the idea to rest (short of modern-day alternatives).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Just was at a home expo. They had a soybean based spray foam 100% edible!!! They had pieces of it you could taste (I passed) and NO there was no smell to attract rodents!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I've seen this product used on the Green channel (my new favorite channel) on dish network. I think it was on one of the "Living with Ed" shows. (Ed Begley Jr.) It was awesome...for homes! Besides all the good things about the foam it has a good R rating as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMMER View Post
Just was at a home expo. They had a soybean based spray foam 100% edible!!! They had pieces of it you could taste (I passed) and NO there was no smell to attract rodents!!!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
1976 28' Argosy 28
Vancouver , Washington
Has anyone thought of using bedliner material over the interior of the outside skin and ribs to seal the gaps and seams? It bonds really well and is flexable. Just a thought.... Or a brain fart......
SilverDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
To most effectively stop leaks you really need to stop them completely on the outside of the vehicle. If the moisture can wick in between the aluminum sheets, or worse between aluminum and steel components, filiform corrosion is not far behind. Once the water starts inside it continues inside.

There could be a corrosion problem with applying the truck bed liner over aluminum. The product is made to go over painted steel. I would contact the manufacturer of the product prior to application; you certainly wouldn't want to cause any further problems.

There are already several products made specifically for making these modifications that have been proven over several years of service. Acryl-R, SikaFlex, and Parlastic are just a few. These products are available at many locations including Airstream.com and your local Airstream dealer.

Brett
http://www.TimelessTravelTrailers.com
We like to stick to proven methods when we work on a client's coach. We do take innovative approaches and use new materials on a frequent basis. However, we spend a great deal of time in research and/or testing before we apply these solutions to client's vehicles.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote