Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Source for Custom AS twin mattress

I have a Safari 25 FB with twin beds and am looking for a source that can custom make a wider mattress with the curve.

Thanks in advance.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Smile Source for Custom AS twin mattress

Denis4x4
I have been working on purchasing twin beds for a planed queen to twin conversion on our 30 foot Excella with a company called ArtisansMattress.com.

They seem to be able to make any shape or size required.
I Can't really recommend them since we have not made a purchase yet. They may be A good place for you to start.

They use www.tempurpedic.com mattress and are certified to modify mattress and still preserve the full 20 year factory warranty.
Good Luck
Ron
Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We bought a generic 8" memory foam queen mattress and carved out a pair of fat twins with our trusty electric knife. Bride then sewed up a pair of covers and we were good to go.

So far, a vast improvement over the standard mattresses we replaced.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We had a boat upholstery shop replace the foam in our Airstream. They build mattresses for boats and are accustomed to requests lime these. We got the same mattress back and the only way you can tell is that it is heavier and way more comfortable.
Great addition to the Airstream!
Bruce
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I found this place to be the most reasonable. I lost the battle however and we got a memory foam mattress pad from Costco and cut it to fit. So far it seems pretty comfy.

https://www.rockymountainmattress.co...tream-mattress
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As another possibility, check out:

rockymountainmattress.com or call 866-733-3132

You can download their catalog. They have bedding and comforters as well. I just checked their site and there is a promotion in place.

We ordered their 8" mattress (range is from 7 to 14" thick) and pillows for a 25FB where the front right corner tapers due to the radius in the front shell. They can make any shape mattress if you send them some measurements and the thickness determines the dent in the wallet. My wallet lost $635 for the mattress with no shipping or taxes.

We ordered custom sheets from Airstream when the trailer was ordered. I slept (really tossed and turned trying to get comfortable) one night on the Airstream mattress at the dealership. I knew my wife would not be pleased. Thus I ordered a new mattress. We were constrained on the thickness of the mattress due to the sheets ordered to fit the 7" Airstream stock mattress.

If there had not been the custom sheets, we would probably considered a thicker mattress. However, the mattresses get heavier as they get thicker.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
We had one made at Rocky Mountain Mattress and we LOVE it. It was kind of spendy, but my opinion is that it's always money well spent if it brings a good night's sleep! They were great, really easy to work with, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Denis4x4!

I don't know whether shipping would make it prohibitively expensive, but I have been very well satisfied with the custom twin mattresses I had made for my Overlander about ten years ago. I went through Lebeda Mattress Factory . . . a comparatively large manufacturer in the Midwest. The mattresses that I chose were from the Legacy Extra Firm series. Even after ten years, I am thoroughly satisfied with the mattresses and would not hesitate to recommend their products. I believe that there was a $75 up-charge over the base mattress that you select for custom sizing. While it has been ten years ago, I believe that the price for my pair of custom twin mattresses was about $725 and I picked mine up at their DuBuque, Iowa location so my cost didn't include shipping/delivery.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Hobo

2006 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
I have the twin beds and our only complaint is that the mattresses hang over the plywood bases by about 5" causing the mattress to slide toward the center of the trailer when sitting on it or sometimes during the night(no edge support). Has anyone replaced the plywood with wider material and perhaps a 1" raised lip? Seems like a good fix.
voremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings voremus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voremus View Post
I have the twin beds and our only complaint is that the mattresses hang over the plywood bases by about 5" causing the mattress to slide toward the center of the trailer when sitting on it or sometimes during the night(no edge support). Has anyone replaced the plywood with wider material and perhaps a 1" raised lip? Seems like a good fix.
What you describe is exactly how the original twin beds in my '64 Overlander are designed. I think that the original design was such that an owner could choose to have a wider than standard mattress as the base has ample vertical supports for the mattress in addition to the sliding "tray" that the mattress sits upon which has a 1" oak lip to hold the edge of the mattress. The setup has worked beautifully with my custom mattresss (but they only hand over the side of the bed's base by about 3").

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Just today I placed an 8 inch wide piece of 5/8 inch OSB below the mattress, I used 2 - 1 inch screws to hold it in place so that there is a 4 inch overhang that will support the mattress and keep it in place. It made a big difference in just sitting on the bed.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We bought a king size 12" memory foam mattress at COSTCO, and cut it with a bread (serrated) knife and later with a power turkey knife to fit out twins. Easy and VERY comfortable.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I ordered two slabs of 6" foam online and two slabs of 2" memory foam for toppers. Cut with a knife to fit. It's not pretty but covered all with elastic edged fitted sheets and a couple of fitted mattress covers from AB Lifestyles. Very comfortable and about a third of the cost of custom made mattress.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I ordered two slabs of 6" foam online and two slabs of 2" memory foam for toppers. Cut with a knife to fit. It's not pretty but covered all with elastic edged fitted sheets and a couple of fitted mattress covers from AB Lifestyles. Very comfortable and about a third of the cost of custom made mattress.
What site did you order your foam from? Do you recall the density that you used? Thanks!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Somewhere on the Airforms I posted photos of how I put a larger base on the twin bed platforms to eliminate the mattress slipping problem. Looked at a '13 AS with twin beds and the factory still doesn't get it! If it cost me $20, they should be able to do it for a dollar ninety eight at the factory!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
I just did this this last weekend! I didn't lift it, just extended the plywood 4 inches with sturdier 1/2 inch popular cabinet grade plywood. Extending it gives it a nice solid feel on the edge, makes it easier to tuck in sheets and comforter, and makes it easier to get into the lower cabinets (since you aren't battling a comforter.

Super easy to do, probably 3 hours total if you have a circular saw and rotary saw or jig saw. Let me know if you need more detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000201.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	181991

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000202.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	181992
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
What site did you order your foam from? Do you recall the density that you used? Thanks!
I got one slab that was firm and one that was medium. You wouldn't want the soft if you want any kind of support.
Buyfoam.com

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote