Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Smoke detectors

I just purchased a Co/Smoke/Fire detector for the Excella at a local store as there isnít one in there now (kind of surprised-1989 no smoke detector? Although there is a propane leak detector?)

Any way, the one I purchased says ďsuitable for all living areas.Ē It is a good quality unit, not a cheapie. But I swear I read years ago that RV smoke detectors must be rated as such. I looked through probably 10 different models last night and none of them mentioned RVís. So I bought this one as it seemed to be the best one at this (non RV) store. There is no RV store within at least an hour of here and we are leaving in a couple of days on an extended trip. I wanted to install this before we left.

Is there such a thing as ďRV RatedĒ smoke detectors?
Does it really matter?
Why?

Thanx, Bill

Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
The smoke detector in my trailer is a KIDDE ... identical to the ones found in residential homes.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Hi Bill,

There are two types of smoke detectors on the market. Photo Electric and Ionization. Both types do a visual check for smoke and the Ionization type also measures charged partials in the air. For an RV the best type to purchase is a good quality Photo Electric - should run about $30.00 to $40.00. Because the Ionization type measures charged partials it will go off when you are cooking - so you end up taking it down or remove the battery running the risk of not remembering to reinstall it or put the battery back in after you've finished using your range/oven. Our camper came with a "cooking detector", we replaced it the very first week with a Photo Electric model.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It seems strange that there is not one built in. Our Motorhome has a co2/smoke detector hidden behind curtains on the roadside wall. Since ours is an 85, I would think that your trailer would have one as well. Fry something on the stove and see if it goes off.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
It seems strange that there is not one built in. Our Motorhome has a co2/smoke detector hidden behind curtains on the roadside wall. Since ours is an 85, I would think that your trailer would have one as well. Fry something on the stove and see if it goes off.
Checked again last note, no smoke det. Looked everywhere. Did find 2 holes in the ceiling, PO must have removed it (cooking?) Can't imagine why someone would remove a smoke det. Any way, I will look for a Photo elec one today...

Thanx, Bill
Old 07-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Can't imagine why someone would remove a smoke det.

Maybe the PO fits well into the www.darwinawards.com category. Usually this 'type' will also argue why it's ok to take your propane lantern in the tent to read before bed.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My '89 has one up forward and one aft. Don't recall the fwd one alarming recently, battery??? Better check and the photo type detector sounds right on. I recently replaced all the hard wired detectors in the house due to a basement renovation and purposely purchased a photo for the area adjacent to the kitchen. The box that they came in said the detectors typically have a life of about 10 years (think that was the duration) and should be periodically replaced.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Did find 2 holes in the ceiling, PO must have removed it (cooking?) Can't imagine why someone would remove a smoke det.
Thanx, Bill
They may have taken it down because its date of service had expired. The one in our coach has a remove from service date of November 2009.