Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
... I've also seen the 34s with two units and the owners swear by them. I believe the two units were custom built into the units and of course the electrical service went up from 30amp to 50amp. Leveling AND securing stabilizers prior to S/O extension are a must as previously mentioned by others. Good luck and get out there.
fr8shaker's 34 Classic is a 50 amp trailer and the bedroom AC was added in Texas. If ordering new, get 50 amps to start with. You are in Galveston. You are going to need the second AC.

For anyone interested in adding a second AC to an older Airstream When I was discussing this online last year, Inland Andy suggested that a simpler retrofit for a vintage trailer like mine would be to add another 30 amp system and use and adapter like this 50 Amp Male to 30 Amp Female Adapter - Item - Camping World to plug one system into the 50 amp service at campgrounds and the other into the 30 amp service.

Let us know what you get!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would wholeheartedly suggest the 15k unit. I have it in my 25er and it was one of the best moves I ever made with the trailer. Back in 04 few units had the 15k and though it was an option on the 25' Classic, it was an off the menu option on the Safari. At the time I had a lot of opinions not to do it since it would cycle too much not take all the humidity out due to freq cycling, none of which ended up being true and again, my main point was that if it was good enough to put into a dimensionally exact trailer (25 Classic vs 25 Safari), the it was a risk worth taking. Today the number of 15k units is way up and you find them a lot more in the 25ers and up... and there is a reason for it, they work very well. In 90 degree heat, direct sunlight, I can hang meat in my trailer if I wanted to.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
I just thought of something else that may be helpful to those in hotter climes. When I lived in Texas and before we changed out the 13K unit to the 15K I found that insulating the two skylights helped immensely. What I did was this; I found a styrofoam insulating board with a silver coating on one side. I cut pieces to match the skylights and then laminated two pieces together by using silver AC tape. I placed these little gems between the skylight dome and the accordian screen and it cut out an immense amount of trapped heat. I hope someone will find this tip useful.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
There is a pretty nice looking 2001 34' Limited with the Slide Out in the classifieds. Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - 2001 Airstream limited 34ft with slide out - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds It even has a second AC.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
I just thought of something else that may be helpful to those in hotter climes. When I lived in Texas and before we changed out the 13K unit to the 15K I found that insulating the two skylights helped immensely. What I did was this; I found a styrofoam insulating board with a silver coating on one side. I cut pieces to match the skylights and then laminated two pieces together by using silver AC tape. I placed these little gems between the skylight dome and the accordian screen and it cut out an immense amount of trapped heat. I hope someone will find this tip useful.

Well, I sure did. Thanks alot,ZoominC6!

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote