Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
sleeping on the dinette?

I always seem to have problems with the simplest things! When we fold our dinette down into a bed, the table drops down into the middle, and the extra cusions go on top, and then when you lay on it they slide right out of place, leaving you laying on the tabletop itself if you wiggle around too much! How can I keep the cusions where they belong? Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

If I can figure this out and prove to my husband that the front dinette can be a comfy-enough bed, he'll let me experiment with replacing the gaucho with a small side dinette, giving us the full size bed in the front and a dinette down the side - my idea of the perfect layout

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Oh Stef, you made me laugh ... picturing you wriggling around and cushions squirting onto the floor...

This wouldn't be a very high-tech solution, and I know we just love love LOVE high tech around here but, aside from a frame-off restoration which I'm sure somebody will suggest, do you think putting a couple of those rubber mats like you use under dish drainers would keep those cushions on the tabletop?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Buy one of those egg crate foam thingies that they sell in the bedding dept. You can cut it to size and put it under the cushions and across the table. That will hold everything in place and give you a better nights sleep. Then just roll it up nice and tight and stash it somewhere.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Be creative!

C'mon you guys! You can do better than this! Think outside the box here! How 'bout wrapping YOURSELVES in tape with the sticky side out... sort of like a lint roller... then when you lay on the bed, you'll just stay in one spot, the cushions will stick to you, and nothing will move!

Seriously, I like Sneakinup's idea. Either the eggcrate or some of the thermal foam would undoubtedly hold the cushions in place and give you a better night's sleep.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I always seem to have problems with the simplest things! When we fold our dinette down into a bed, the table drops down into the middle, and the extra cushions go on top, and then when you lay on it they slide right out of place, leaving you laying on the tabletop itself if you wiggle around too much! How can I keep the cushions where they belong? Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?
Our Minuet has hinged cushions all one piece. Unsnap them from the back and lay them down. Never had a problem with them moving.
But on the other hand I also like the idea of a side dinette. If you were to do that you could have a mattress made for the front leave it set up.
No problem
Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Roger, don't be silly ....

.... then they would also stick to each other & that would look funny & what if one of them wanted to sleep in?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You guys! I should have known better than to ask

The eggcrate sounds like a good idea. I think having a custom mattress made eventually would be the way to go, are there places that do that? Because we're talking about the front of the airstream where everything's curves and angles, and not one of them is 90 degree.

I'm just sure the front bed/side dinette idea will be great, I just have to convince the hubby of it. I get a lot of ideas that he initially says 'your nuts', but after we do them he's like 'why didn't we do this sooner?'

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
I just have to convince the hubby of it. I get a lot of ideas that he initially says 'your nuts', but after we do them he's like 'why didn't we do this sooner?'
Stephanie, your husband sounds like my kind of guy! I can't tell you how many times that's happened around here!

If you're looking for a custom-manufactured coil spring mattress, most mattress factories will make them for you. There are a number of them out there. We bought ours at Lebeda. You can find them at http://www.lebeda.com They happen to be local to our area, but ship nationwide. I'd recommend trying out the memory foam mattresses. They'll be easier to fit to your shape requirements, and they are just excellent to sleep on.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
...I just have to convince the hubby of it. I get a lot of ideas that he initially says 'your nuts', but after we do them he's like 'why didn't we do this sooner?'
Sounds like a typical day in my household!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:45 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to NEW2AS
to save some space to keep the cusions on the table you could velcro them together, and put a little more on the bench part so is out of sight when yo put the table back together
NEW2AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:18 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What we do is actually make it up like a bed. We have the typical stuff for it:

- Bed sheets
- Bed mattress liner
- Comforters, etc

When we make it into the bed, and install all the sheets, etc, we've not had any problems. We've had Brandi's niece and nephew sleep on it and I had one of my buddies sleep on it. Both times there was no movement. Now keep in mind I'm not talking vintage here. On the newer coaches the cushions fit sung together. Not sure if the vintage units to too.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote