Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Simple cleaning agent

Sometimes the simplest of solutions eludes us.........over the last year I have tried at least 6 different "high powered" cleaners and solvents to try and get rid of the sticky film that developed on the ceiling and walls of my vintage motorhome. Nothing worked, including WD-40 and acetone. I tried mineral spirits (the odorless type) and it worked fast and easy. Give it a try!
77 R GO C MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Rivet Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 R GO C MH
....Give it a try!
Gee, I'd give it a try if I hadn't just finished 6 hours of scrubbing my ceiling and walls. I'm glad your experiment will help the next guy though.

The ceiling was so sticky it looked like a bug strip, full of gnats stuck to it.

I also had hard set spotty mildew all over the place, especially near the seams. My solution was to wet with straight bleach in a spray bottle and scrub with "Bar Keepers Friend" a Comet type abrasive. I also rinsed very throughly after bleaching. It worked really well and my walls are BRIGHT WHITE now

Have you ever heard a theory on where the sticky comes from?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Your timing is perfect! I just bought a bottle of something "high powered" to attempt the same task today... I will just cut to the chase and pick up a bottle of mineral sprirts. Thanks for the tip.

I too am curious.., how did it get stick in the first place. A friend of mine suggested it is from years of cooking inside the trailer.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

If the issue is the vinyl coated aluminum walls, there are several threads on this.

First, it is obvious, but necessary to point out that ALL sources of open flame must be eliminated to use a flamable solvent such as mineral spirits. Just turn off the propane tanks. Likewise, plenty of fresh air must be available. And finally, be careful around plastics (trim, countertops, etc.) as some may well be damaged by the solvent.

In one of the earlier threads someone mentioned Castrol Super Clean. I bought a gallon of the concentrate, mixed some to 25% strength, and sprayed it on the walls. Within seconds a brown greasy film began to run down the walls. I wiped it up and that was that! To do our 25' coach took, oh, maybe 20 minutes.

While built up oils from cooking and so forth are a factor, it appears that there is something in the vinyl itself that devolves into this film.

Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WE have tried many of the solvents and cleaners suggested in other threads and have the same sticky ceiling issues -this spring - by accident - it has been solved. We were at a grocery store had a cleaner for sale at the register for $1.00. yes - I know they put that stuff at the register to unload unwanted stock - but it worked.

It's called Awesome or LA's Totally Awesome as seen on TV degreaser and spot cleaner. The stuff works.

It comes in a spray bottle but the directions say to dilute it 10 to 1. It comes from Awesome products in Buena Park, CA. It specifically says to dilute it - never use full strength - but full strength - it works - diluted a little it works and diluted 10 to 1 it works with 3 applications. To date - it hasn't harmed the headliner in the argosy but I suspect it would stain fabric, cause your hair to fall out and other unwanted side effects. Best buck we ever spent.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here's a link to the company...

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/APCGroup.html

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 R GO C MH
Sometimes the simplest of solutions eludes us.........over the last year I have tried at least 6 different "high powered" cleaners and solvents to try and get rid of the sticky film that developed on the ceiling and walls of my vintage motorhome. Nothing worked, including WD-40 and acetone. I tried mineral spirits (the odorless type) and it worked fast and easy. Give it a try!
Believe it or not, clean it from all of the bugs and whatever. Then wipe it down with Future brand floor wax.
I got this from an Airstream dealer.
Works well.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
It'a AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Here's a link to the company...

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/APCGroup.html
I've been using "AWESOME" for all my cleaning needs for a couple of years now- and yes, it's the magic bullet for "sticky wall syndrome'. At a buck a bottle too!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Lou,

I read where somebody else used the future brand floor wax. Can you put it over painted walls? I know it works on the vinyl, but what if the vinyl is painted?

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by early
Lou,

I read where somebody else used the future brand floor wax. Can you put it over painted walls? I know it works on the vinyl, but what if the vinyl is painted?

Dawn
Dawn,

I would try it out is an area that is not too visible.
I have used it on all of my vinyl and on the plastic end caps with really good results.
The nice thing is it puts a nice little shine on the surface too.
Every grocery store of hardware store carries it. Put it on once and you are done.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Lou. I'll do a test spot and leave it a while and see how it does. dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Thumbs up Awesome

What chain did you buy this in? I've been looking and it seems no one has heard of it and the one store that did - could never find it.

Thanks,

Sharon
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
The sticky stuff is glue from behind the vinyl. You can't clean it off forever. It will continue to leach through. Best thing seems to be to encapsulate it, which is what the Future Floor Wax does.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Simple Green has been working well for us. Actually for everything!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
I've also done the Future floor wax.........still gets sticky.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
careful with simple green; I think (not sure) that it etched my stove door. before I used it, it was dirty; after, its pitted and rusted. (brushed steel...not sure if its actually "stainless" or not. but now it looks like crap. wonder if I can get a replacement?).

The Castrol Super Clean is available at wally-world. it worked much better on the sticky-stuff than the simple green did.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietDogMag
What chain did you buy this in? I've been looking and it seems no one has heard of it and the one store that did - could never find it.

Thanks,

Sharon
It's called '99 Cent Only Stores"
Check their site for locations.
www.99only.com
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Hey All,

When I had the sticky roof and wall problem all I did was by Fantask cleaner the orange one. Worked great! It took two litres to do the whole inside.

This unit is a 1971 and had been sitting unsed for about 12 years. Walls and roof very very sticky!! The Fantastic orage worked great and there was no harsh smell. Know it's really easy to keep clean.
71excella500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
I still say the Odorless mineral spirits is the easiest, fastest and the cheapest. You can do the entire ceiling and walls with less than one pint.
Do remember the cautions about ventilation and no open flames.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
The sticky stuff is glue from behind the vinyl. You can't clean it off forever. It will continue to leach through. Best thing seems to be to encapsulate it, which is what the Future Floor Wax does.
Like Rich says, what you are felling is the adhesive oozing out from the fanric of the vinyl itself. You will scrub until the cows come home. You just may get it "clean" for a little while.
One common sense thing to remember is that if you do ever get it clean, what has happened to the adhesive then?
Clean off any dirt or bugs and solve the problem by "encapsulating" the adhesive with some Future floor wax. Don't overthink this.