Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
"Silicon glue"

Hey all. I was reading on blogs out in the cold, hard world outside of Air Forums, and one writer was saying they'd applied something to an inside wall of their Airstream "using that silicon glue".

I was looking for something with which to hang something in my new trailer, and today ran across someone saying in the forums:

Quote:
( Silicone caulk: that mysterious substance that will neither adhere to aluminum nor be easily removed from aluminum once applied. An accursed substance.)
Is "silicon glue" different from silicon caulk, and more to the point, should I not use it on the Bambino's interior aluminum?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
DO NOT use silicon on aluminum!

Silicon 2 has been approved, but many on this forum will advise against even that.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Hey all. I was reading on blogs out in the cold, hard world outside of Air Forums, and one writer was saying they'd applied something to an inside wall of their Airstream "using that silicon glue".

I was looking for something with which to hang something in my new trailer, and today ran across someone saying in the forums:

Is "silicon glue" different from silicon caulk, and more to the point, should I not use it on the Bambino's interior aluminum?
As the author of the quote you cite, I must first say that anything you stick to the walls in the privacy of your own Airstream is entirely your business as well as the adhesive you may choose to use.

That being said, you really need to tell us about your Airstream. Does it have vinyl-clad, aluminum interior skin. If so, you should use an adhesive that adheres to the vinyl surface.

Do you have a 60's era Vintage Airstream? If so your adhesive must adhere to the Zolatone without damaging it.

Only if your Airstream is one of those late models with a polished aluminum interior will your adhesive come in direct contact with aluminum.

So, I am not sure which silicone "glue" you are looking at.
Do you mean "silicone adhesive caulk?" If so, that is more caulk than adhesive and not suitable for your application as inferred from Post #1.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Well, as I said, I read "that silicone glue" and don't know what that blogger meant, and I've no clue if it's the same stuff as silicone caulking. The Bambino is a 19' 2008 Safari SE, so definitely direct to the clearcoat.

I'll probably not risk it and use Command strips, but you can see the strips, which is annoying.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Well, as I said, I read "that silicone glue" and don't know what that blogger meant, and I've no clue if it's the same stuff as silicone caulking. The Bambino is a 19' 2008 Safari SE, so definitely direct to the clearcoat.

I'll probably not risk it and use Command strips, but you can see the strips, which is annoying.
I use the Command strips with no problem. If you don't want them to show, you can get the bigger hooks that are in two pieces, a metallic cover that will slide upward off of the plastic backer. The strips are hidden behind the hook. In the kitchen, I used the little white ones - and "amputated" the hanging down part that shows. I tested this first: I found that you can actually use a popsicle stick or plastic razor blade to separate (pry) the hook from the wall, then clean up any residue by just picking at it.

Paula
Old 12-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Very useful to know, thanks Paula!