Old 06-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Sharp Left over Mandrel on Rivets

Since our AS won't be here for another two weeks I decided to have some fun and practice my riveting. I bought a manual (non pneumatic) riveter and 1/8 wide 1/4 long aluminum rivets (it is my understanding that these will be used for the interior?) I did a couple test rivets to fix my machete case and all the rivets I did on it had sharp tips of mandrels protruding. can't be having that on the inside of our AS
1.) why do my rivets have these sharp tips on them? some google searches stated that holding the riveter at an angle is a probable cause but it didn't seem to matter how I held it, how hard i pushed it was still making them
2.) is this normal?
3.) if it is normal how do i fix them? i saw some stuff about using a ball peen hammer which I don't particularly like the idea of mostly because i'm liable to miss and put dings in the walls. Also saw stuff about rivet shavers but I am thinking cutting down on the head of the rivet would weaken it? Not to mention they all looked to be pretty dern expensive. Saw other suggestions of using a dremel. What are your thoughts guys & gals?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
figured

well 3 hours of googling later I do finally understand that it was most likely because the material I was riveting was not thick enough. I had thought that the mandrels were being cut off by the rivet puller. Didn't know that there was already a pre-made breaking point inside the rivet. COOL

Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You found the answer. To prove it add another layer as a test.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
pop rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobscoob View Post
well 3 hours of googling later I do finally understand that it was most likely because the material I was riveting was not thick enough. I had thought that the mandrels were being cut off by the rivet puller. Didn't know that there was already a pre-made breaking point inside the rivet. COOL
Pop rivets come in various lengths.

As an example a # 48 pop rivet is 1/8 inch in diameter and has a grip range of 1/2 inch, BUT, it's length is 5/8 of an inch.

Pop rivet guns, DO NOT cut the pop rivet mandril. The gun pulls the mandril until it actually shears.

Making sure the sheared mandril breaks off before the top of the rivet head requires a specific "grip range" pop rivet.

As another example you would not use a # 48 pop rivet to hold a small thickness, say 1/8 inch. for 1/8 inch the proper pop rivet size would be a # 44, or even a # 43.

The first number is the diameter of the rivet in 32"s of an inch, and the second # is it's grip range in 16's of and inch.

Using a pop rivet that has an excessive grip range, will always produce a sheared off mandril that sticks out above the rivet head.

Andy