Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
i have no skills
1973 25' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Seattle Airstream Gurus

Hi, I recently purchased a 25í Airstream, double axle, with hitch and jacks. I know it needs new tires, but itís towable from the sellerís home to my property in Seattle, WA.

It needs everything, and I have no skills. I also need to live in it by about mid-Oct if possible. I realize that's kind of an insane idea/timeline. I'm looking for someone in the Seattle area to help me get this trailer into shape. I can't afford to have it towed down to CA or another state to have someone work on it. So, would love to know of anyone people can recommend. I have an electrician and a plumber. I have a simple plan. I'll try to attach it and photos.

Hereís what I know it needs (I have no idea what someone who knows what theyíre doing will say it needs): Surface rust removed from bottom of trailer and from hitch, then covered with rustproof paint. New subfloor and floor, electrical (I think I have someone for this), plumbing (I think I have someone for this), insulation (I hope to use wool or something eco), walls to cover the insulation (can I just order panels from Airstream?), then a wall with a slide-in door to create a bedroom on one end, a little room for a bathroom, and some cabinets installed. Waterproofed, a new window, and other repairs. I can get it polished later.

I want to use as many salvaged items and eco materials as possible. I want to keep it pretty basic because Iím on disability and canít afford much. Hoping to do some bartering for labor (Iím a writer and web designers). Thanks in advance for any advice/contacts.

Eej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
To do what you appear to need done, you'll need at least one of the following:
  • Mad skills
  • Mad cash
  • A very winning smile

The plywood floor replacement is gonna be the big one, because all kinds'a stuff has to come off, out, and/or apart to make that happen. If you actually get all that done for a couple grand by mid-October, you should gather large stones and build a shrine; it'll be a miracle.

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but I've got a '78 25' that started out in fair shape (I didn't choose to do the subfloor). I spent like 10-15 hours a week (plus about $3K) on it all winter, and it's still not close to being done.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote