Old 09-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Capt' Tolley is like water and comes in a tiny bottle. Great for top down sealing of tiny cracks and around rivets but I don't know how it would work upside down on interior seams. I used and liked Acryl-R, because it's the right consistency to stick upside down but still seep into the seams. I shy'd away from Vulkem because of all the warnings to never use it indoors.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
I shy'd away from Vulkem because of all the warnings to never use it indoors.
That means its great stuff that will last.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Why can't you use Vulkem indoors? Does it cause unwanted side effects? Drowsiness, nausea, irritability, lose stools, anal leakage, spontaneous combustion?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussel , Oklahoma
Vulcem 116 and spontaneous combustion

@Cardinal 283- I began to worry after your comment about spontaneous combustion so I checked the MSDS Vulcem 116 and found that spontaneous combustion is not listed as a known side effect. Thank goodness. I will continue using it but will refrain from eating, snorting, and using it as sunscreen. This is from section 2 of the Vulcem 116 MSDS:

"SECTION 2 - HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Emergency Overview
Gray. Non-sag gunnable paste. May cause slight irritation to the respiratory system. May cause nausea,
headaches, and dizziness. May cause drowsiness, weakness, and fatigue. May cause allergic respiratory
sensitization. Leave area to breathe fresh air. Avoid further overexposure. If symptoms persist, get medical
attention. Move to fresh air. If required, artificial respiration or administration of oxygen can be performed by
trained personnel.
Acute Potential Health Effects/ Routes of Entry
Inhalation : May cause slight irritation to the respiratory system. May cause nausea, headaches, and
dizziness. May cause drowsiness, weakness, and fatigue. May cause allergic respiratory
sensitization.
Eyes : Direct contact may cause mild irritation.
Ingestion : May cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, and vomiting.
Skin : May cause sensitization resulting in irritation, itching and redness.
Aggravated Medical Conditions
Pre-existing eye, skin and respiratory disorders may be aggravated by exposure.
Chronic Health Effects
Overexposure may cause dermatitis, asthma, skin and respiratory sensitization and decreased lung function.
Prolonged or repeated contact/exposure to aromatic petroleum distillates may cause defatting, drying, and
irritation of the skin, dermatitis, and central nervous system (CNS) effects. Inhalation of crystalline silica (quartz)
can cause cancer based on animal data, and IARC concludes sufficient evidence in humans (Group 1).
Prolonged and repeated overexposure to free crystalline silica dust above the TLV level may cause scarring of
the lungs with cough and shortness of breath. A delayed lung injury, silicosis may result from breathing free
silica. Diphenylmethane diisocyanate (methylene bisphenyl isocyanate) caused an increased incidence of lung
tumors in experimental animals following long term inhalation at concentrations in excess of 100 times the
exposure limit. Fillers are encapsulated and not expected to be released from product under normal conditions
of use.
Target Organs: Skin, Eye, Ingestion, Lung"
Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Wow another early Clipper. I have a 1952. I am restoring her. Just put on a bunch of new exterior panels. I will be using Trempro 635. Do it a the end of a work session with all opening open. What are you using for insulation. I am using Reflectictix next to the outer skin and low R value, thin, cut in half. Another Colin Hyde suggestion. I like the Aerowood suggestion of thinning it. It is a might hard to wrangle and smooth out.
Mine had a steel inner skin, destroyed the rib to floor C Channel. Poor baby was a bit abused by the last few tenants.
Also, no inner seam sealant.
I am using acetone and a green light grit scrub pad and or heavier to prep the surface.
DO NOT get it on the outer skin.
Have fun as these are really stunning when polished. See Aerowood in Vintage Kin. Totally awesome.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would not hesitate using Eternabond Alumibond sealant tape over those seams. From what I've seen of using it on the roof seams of our Avion, it should last forever on those inside seams.

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote