Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Safari Dinette Conversion

Our dinette table on our 2007 25' Airstream is what I would call poorly designed. It is always loose and I would like to remove it and replace it with a couch as I have seen on other models. I thought I might purchase the couch from Airstream and have someone help me with the conversion. I did note however that there are several electrical outlets that will be located behind the couch.Is this type of change realistic?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds fine to me...easy swap out - take out the dinette, put in the couch. Especailly if it is a current model available from Airstream. But then, I'm someone who has a gutted trailer in my garage right now!

You probably won't be able to use those outlets though - if they end up behind the couch. Do you need them? I can see with a dinette there wanting to use them for a computer or something, but with a couch...I don't know?

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's realisitic, but have you considered upgrading the table or modifying it to be a bit more stout. I have a similar table and it too isn't quite the quality of the table found in the Classics.

I know there are two types of Airstreamers, those who like to have a dinette and those who don't.

I'm from the camp that loves a dinette, we use it all the time and it's very functional, given it's limitations. If yer from the other camp, then yes, it's realistic, might have to be a custom build to fit properly, if you don't want any gaps, etc, but I would think within the realm of possible.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...might have to be a custom build to fit properly, if you don't want any gaps, etc, but I would think within the realm of possible.
If it's in a 2007 trailer, shouldn't he be able to just get one from Airstream? I would think so...I doubt it would have to be custom. Might be $$$ but should be easy to retrofit - dinette or sofa was an option.

Shari

Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
We converted our 2003 CCD Int'l in a similar fashion. Straight forward. The folks at G & C in Bellflower, Ca, who specialize in AS only, did the work. An AS sofa that converts to a bed did the trick. We have a 1ft x 4ft table/counter with removable base for the rare occasion we need to eat inside.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We talked with a couple who had Jackson Center price a conversion from the sofa to a dinette in their '05 Bambi; if I recall, the quote was in the range of $2400 including parts (including cushions and upholstery), labor for the conversion, and labor to move an outlet.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Sounds reasonable to me...

Shari

Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
We talked with a couple who had Jackson Center price a conversion from the sofa to a dinette in their '05 Bambi; if I recall, the quote was in the range of $2400 including parts (including cushions and upholstery), labor for the conversion, and labor to move an outlet.
Do you know if Airstream at Jackson Center would actually do the work or must it be done by a dealer?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
I'm pretty sure Jackson Center would do the work in their Service Center. I would contact Chris Burch in the Service Center - his contact information can be found here: http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ce_center.html

I would imagine the challenge with changing the dinette in the FB units to a couch would be joining the new couch with the existing streetside lounge (in addition to moving the outlets and TV wiring). I'm not sure if the new couch would match up exactly with what's left of the lounge once the dinette is removed, but I would think they could fabricate some sort of transition.

Jackson Center may tell you the winter would be the best time to do the conversion, as their schedule is lighter, and you might be able to take advantage of the winter discount.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Oh, and I forgot to add that Bill Thomas Camper Sales here in St. Louis makes floor plan modifications as well if you didn't want to go to the factory, although the distance would likely be the same. We've always been very pleased with their service department, and they've done several modifications, including some for commercial trailers and motorhomes.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Thanks Molly
I will talk with both of them next week.I also have a number of warranty items that need to be repaired so I may be able to accomplish everything at one time.
Allen
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is an FB unit we are talking about. The dinette is somewhat connected to the entire side sofa section, so yes, even though it's a 2007, it can be done. When I wanted a Classic sofa when I was considering another Safari, the Classic sofa was in excess of $1000.00-- for the standard Classic sofa in Ultraleather. In addition, the odds are that an off the shelf sofa from the factory might fully not match the existing side sofa, unless it's a special ordered sofa, which may be an additional upcharge depending on what material is in the existing setup of woodedareas exiting unit.

If you take a look at the Classic, CCD and Safari FB units, you'll see that the leather patterns are different than that of the Classic front sofa we are all use to. As for Safari FB or CCD FB units, here too, even in cloth, I don't know if Airstream spec'd out a special setup for the FB units that also differs from the standard units.

My whole point is that it can be done, but it's not as simple as a standard RB (rear bed) Airstream because I think Airstream made all FB units seating surfaces somewhat different?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
This is an FB unit we are talking about. The dinette is somewhat connected to the entire side sofa section, so yes, even though it's a 2007, it can be done. When I wanted a Classic sofa when I was considering another Safari, the Classic sofa was in excess of $1000.00-- for the standard Classic sofa in Ultraleather. In addition, the odds are that an off the shelf sofa from the factory might fully not match the existing side sofa, unless it's a special ordered sofa, which may be an additional upcharge depending on what material is in the existing setup of woodedareas exiting unit.

If you take a look at the Classic, CCD and Safari FB units, you'll see that the leather patterns are different than that of the Classic front sofa we are all use to. As for Safari FB or CCD FB units, here too, even in cloth, I don't know if Airstream spec'd out a special setup for the FB units that also differs from the standard units.

My whole point is that it can be done, but it's not as simple as a standard RB (rear bed) Airstream because I think Airstream made all FB units seating surfaces somewhat different?
I have what I believe is called ultra-leather and I think I have seen the same fabric in the Classic but I am not sure.Foe this reason I am probably better off letting Airstream do the work if they are willing.They should have access to all of the materials and I assume people who are experienced.They will have to reduce the length of the side couch as it goes all the way to the back of the trailer.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. The factory would be your best bet. Here are two links to photos. The first is a 27' FB Classic.

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Weekly

Notice the leather seat pattern

Now, here is the second link to a standard Classic with the Ultra Leather Sofa (in front, which is the sofa you'd get from Airstream without a special order):

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Weekly

Notice how vastly different the patterns and shapes are?

Now I think this would be the same on an Ultra Leather Safari too.

My point is that this might be a custom job if you want the two exsiting surfaces to be identical. Additionally, the sofas Airstream installs fold into a bed. I am not sure with the FB unit, without a custom job that the standard Classic or Safari sofa will be able to open to a bed given the side sofa. I also don't think the under sofa storage may be easily accessible depending on how far the side sofa may cut into the space the proposed sofa may populate. This is why I was saying earlier, it might be a modification job, not a simple swap out.

I think when you call Jackon Center and get the price, you might reconsider. I think it's gonna be a fairly pricey mod, regardless if you can live with the factory sofa or if you get a custom job done.

PS: Airstream does not make the sofas, they buy them. I waited an additional 2 weeks for the Ultra Leather sofa for our Safari to get to the factory to be installed from their sofa supplier.