Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Restoration vs Updation (not a real word)

As a new Airstream parent to a lovely 1975 brownalicious Sovereign. I am not sure if I'm leaning towards restoration (8 track tape player is amazing) or update to some more modern color palate. I love how everyone makes the campers their own and updates to colors that suit that more. What is blocking me is that it's almost in perfect condition, except for a bad oil paint over latex wall business. The yellowed plastic bathroom and rotted out curtains. Basically pretty much all cosmetic. We have no plans on ripping out anything original, down to the Magic Chef wall oven. Can you make a 1975 trailer look like the 50/60's or do you need to keep it in the 70's darkness?

So what is the general consensus? Is it more value vs. aesthetics? Do you really loose value if you personalize it?
Hamptastic75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Restoration— keeping everything at least looking original— only matters if you plan to put it in a museum. In a museum, it basically belongs to everybody who looks at it.

Outside of a museum it's all yours, and you're not only allowed but encouraged to put your own particular stamp of individuality on it. But only if you post before-and-after pictures here, now that you've gotten us involved by asking us about it…
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
If it's rare or has historical significance restore it, otherwise remodel to your liking,
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptastic75 View Post
-- snip -- What is blocking me is that it's almost in perfect condition -- snip -- Basically pretty much all cosmetic. -- snip -- Do you really loose value if you personalize it?
Easy solution - do the cosmetics to make it a great original and advertise it for sale. If it sells, go buy what makes you most happy. If it stays parked, you'll just have to live with original and go traveling. Now, look in the mirror. Is there a smile on your face. If there is, go for it. If no smile, keep thinking of ideas until a smile shows up in the mirror. ASing is about making smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Unless it is an investment, it's your trailer, do what makes you happy and what will work best for how you plan to use it.

Original, un-restored Airstreams don't have any special value. A future buyer will evaluate the trailer based on the quality of the work you've done to it and how it suites their intended use.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
I greatly prefer original. Other than my appreciation for all things vintage, I feel that the professionals who originally designed the space were likely more capable than I in maximizing the utilization of the space.
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleosdad View Post
I greatly prefer original. Other than my appreciation for all things vintage, I feel that the professionals who originally designed the space were likely more capable than I in maximizing the utilization of the space.
If the OP was planning on gutting it, I'd agree, because space utilization is only part of it; weight and balance calculations often aren't done— or not done done properly— when a new interior is built.

But since the OP only wants to change the color scheme, that has no effect on space utilization or on weight/balance.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
We are renovating an AS not quite as old as yours but here are our thoughts. When we purchased her last Fall, we had a lot of good "ideas". We took it to our trailer tech about changing the axles and inspecting the frame, etc. He told us he would be glad to change/fix anything we wanted. However, what he told us changed our immediate plans, what he said was, " For now, just use it and see if you like it, then come back after a season to discuss major renovations". Looking back, that was good advice and we have gone through the TT replacing/updating items to ensure safety and tow ability. We did have a few surprises (bit of floor rot under the fridge) but overall she's in very good shape(TT and SO). We had wall to wall carpet(sky blue) that had to go and a rear bedroom twin bed set-up that my SO said "would be" a queen bed set-up before using. It can be difficult to find vintage parts for older ASs and you couldl pay dearly for many of them (OBTW, looking for an OEM drawer handle w/AS logo). Usually the one(s) you are trying to find everyone else is looking for as well. Long story short, my SO and I decided to build it for us not the next owner and enjoy the journey. Hope this helps, Good Luck...
James and Rebecca
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My 2 cents.

The brownalicious vibe has got to go (play the theme song to Match Game in your head).

If you study hard at the whole retro camper thing, it is appealing when done in a very clean, expensive-looking, minimalist, and well-lit way.
If not, it can quickly morph to a vibe of musty, worn cast-offs.

Now, you could do Updation in brown. But that would be a lot different than doing a restoration of the "Chevy Van Brown" (next song on the playlist)

Updation in Brown could be very sweet. Add in some cream, and a pop or two of color (favorite teams maybe). A shag pillow, not carpet. (next song is Magic Carpet Ride).

And then find a few nice touches of retro on eBay to make it your own.

(1970 Monte Carlo by Bastards Sons of Johnny Cash)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
Not a design decade to be venerated for posterity. Start updating as soon as you can. It will be your home away from home and should reflect your personal style.
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Carlisle , Massachusetts
What did you do?
Tkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Don't know how I missed this 2 years ago but Piggy Bank won the Internet with that reply! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #13

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Make it yours

I'm renovating a '57, and when I started I almost decided to do a restoration because the 50's aesthetics are so cool, but I decided to renovate and make her mine. I'm very glad I did. Even though our Airstream is thoroughly modern she has plenty of winks and nods to her time period. If I were you, I'd very thoughtfully update the things that aren't cool and keep the things that are
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Don't know how I missed this 2 years ago but Piggy Bank won the Internet with that reply! [emoji3]
Thanks!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote