Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Replacing the Trim NEED ADVICE

What can I use or where can I buy the trim for the inside of my 76' sovereign. It's in the bathroom around the wall,cabinets and tub and around the front living space. I am open for suggestions.....

Thank you in advance for your help
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Cabinet Trim

Try Vintage Trailer Supply. They have it in several colors

Cabinet Welt

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Or these guys:

Outwater Plastics Industries

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Helpful links?

Are you talking about the yellowed trim that runs under the window, around under the counter edge, etc? If so its called nosing I believe. Inlandrv.com has it in the original off-white color, as well as orange, AS blue, and maybe others. Also you can do a search online for vinyl insert trim or rv trim, I have found it in black, silver & white. Even check on Ebay for trailer/rv trim.

Here's a few links: Trailer Trim, and RV Parts, RV, Mobile Homes, Mobile Home Parts : Trim and Moldings. They have beige too.

I'm working on a similar repair/replacement in ours. I will be using the flextrim stuff where the tub panel meets the floor as mine has a round edge on the tub, and we are replacing the flooring with vinyl (took out the carpet). I will post pics of the look when we are finished (probably 4-6 weeks from now) on my other thread @

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ing-50674.html

I've added your pic from your blog that I think shows what you asking about. Technically you can use anything that is the right width and can be flexible to go through the channel. Some people have used strips of floor vinyl cut to size. I hope this helps. If that is not what you are looking for then this company makes flexible trim (flextrim). The link is for there dealer search page where you can do a search based on zip, # results, and distance radius. They will email you the results instantly. They had several near me, and have a few more you can get it from online. dealer search

Here's your pic of the bath with the yellowed trim:

Good luck, let us know what you end up using.

Happy trailering!

Mary
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Insert width

FYI: Be sure to make sure the insert you choose is the right width. Measure the existing one and match the width before ordering any product. Not all inserts are the same.
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYW164 View Post
Are you talking about the yellowed trim that runs under the window, around under the counter edge, etc? If so its called nosing I believe. Inlandrv.com has it in the original off-white color, as well as orange, AS blue, and maybe others. Also you can do a search online for vinyl insert trim or rv trim, I have found it in black, silver & white. Even check on Ebay for trailer/rv trim.
Mary.

The insert nosing is for the interior, only.

The colored vinyl inserts are for the exterior, only.

They use different moldings, and one really can't be used with the other moldings.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you Mary for all your suggestion and for taking so much time to add a picture of MY bathroom from our blog as the "trim in question" Why didn't I think of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYW164 View Post

Here's a few links: Trailer Trim, and RV Parts, RV, Mobile Homes, Mobile Home Parts : Trim and Moldings. They have beige too.

I'm working on a similar repair/replacement in ours. I will be using the flextrim stuff where the tub panel meets the floor as mine has a round edge on the tub, and we are replacing the flooring with vinyl (took out the carpet). I will post pics of the look when we are finished (probably 4-6 weeks from now) on my other thread @

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ing-50674.html

I've added your pic from your blog that I think shows what you asking about. Technically you can use anything that is the right width and can be flexible to go through the channel. Some people have used strips of floor vinyl cut to size. I hope this helps. If that is not what you are looking for then this company makes flexible trim (flextrim). The link is for there dealer search page where you can do a search based on zip, # results, and distance radius. They will email you the results instantly. They had several near me, and have a few more you can get it from online. dealer search

Here's your pic of the bath with the yellowed trim:

Good luck, let us know what you end up using.

Happy trailering!

Mary
Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I wonder how it would work it I bought the original trim and painted it the color I need with Krylon Fusion?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Insert nosing

There is a little trick to replacing that insert nosing.

The only nosing available from Airstream, was designed to fit a newer type molding. We have looked and looked, and have not found a reasonable substitute.

To make it work in the older trailers, is really not that big of a deal.

Lay the nosing face down.

Take a sander and knock off a little of the edge squares that are on, what is now, the top side.

Lube the metal moldings with some silicone spray, and then insert the nosing at one end.

Simply slide it into place.

If it doesn't want to slide very far, then you must remove a little bit more of the squares that are on the backside of the nosing.

Maybe we can figure out a way to do this on a large scale "in house."

Andy
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thanks Andy!

I was hoping we could bend it and snap it in place

I guess we could just cut our own strips out of some other material and feed it through.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Thanks Andy!

I was hoping we could bend it and snap it in place

I guess we could just cut our own strips out of some other material and feed it through.
Sorry, but it cannot be bent and snapped in place.

The insert nosing to be installed, must slide thru the metal molding.

Andy
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thanks Andy

What about painting the trim with Fusion paint?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy

What about painting the trim with Fusion paint?
When the insert nosing turns yellow, is usually becomes very brittle as well.

Painting it, I guess, is Ok, but you will have to do a bunch of masking if you want to spray it on, even with rattle can paints.

Good luck with your choice.

Andy
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I meant to say I might paint the NEW trim a color that would match my interior with KRYLON FUSION paint and was wondering if it would hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
When the insert nosing turns yellow, is usually becomes very brittle as well.

Painting it, I guess, is Ok, but you will have to do a bunch of masking if you want to spray it on, even with rattle can paints.

Good luck with your choice.

Andy
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I meant to say I might paint the NEW trim a color that would match my interior with KRYLON FUSION paint and was wondering if it would hold.
It should hold ok, but to be safe, I would suggest a primer first.

Andy
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Installing insert nosing

I bought over $60 of theinsert nosing. Now I find out that it cannot be snapped into place. There is no way to slide the insert nosing into place when both ends of the aluminum trim butt up against the cabinetry. What is the trick?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I bought over $60 of theinsert nosing. Now I find out that it cannot be snapped into place. There is no way to slide the insert nosing into place when both ends of the aluminum trim butt up against the cabinetry. What is the trick?
The trick was how Airstream assembled the trailer.

Unless you want a ton and a half of work, the installation can be easily done.

Take out a rivet from one end.

Lube the molding with silicone spray.

Slide the insert all the way in to the other end.

Cut the insert so that it ends with the end of the molding.

Push the filled molding back in place.

Install one small pop rivet thru the insert, thru the molding and into the cabinet.

It's that or about 12 to 15 hours of work, at least, but then you will be confronted with other problems.

Chose the end that will be least seen.

Andy
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
My trailer is a 1976 with a rear bath. The moulding runs along the sink and counter just under the rear window and then bends for a 2' run toward the front. It abutts the cabinets on both ends. I will have to remove 6 rivits on the long arm (4.5') of the moulding to get it out far enough to insert the plastic trim. My concern is that I might collapse the channels on the moulding when I bend it. If I do get the plastic in place I will only be able to set one rivit on the end if I want it to look like a clean restoration. I could glue the moulding in place but it looks like the rivits play a role in maintaining the structural integrity of the bath area.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
When I bought my 1976 Sovereign in 2000 the tan insert trim in the front and rear was yellow and dirty and it looked bad. As Andy said over time this stuff gets hard and brittle so taking it out was not a real problem but I could not find any replacement. This was before the Airforum so I was pretty much on my own. We took the trailer on a trip in 2001 and stopped for the night in Tucson AZ. I had heard of Oasis RV so we made at stop there before we left. They had a fairly extensive Airstream parts area and had the blue trim molding for the outside and the tan insert trim molding for the inside. The outside molding is fairly easy to install but the inside is not flexible so one of the service guys at Oasis RV gave me some tips on installing the inside insert trim. Take you time and layout the insert trim to the length you need leaving about a foot or so extra Then starting at one end insert the bottom grove on the insert trim in to the groove on the aluminum molding on the wall.for just a few inches.Leave a couple of inches of the nose trim sticking out past the aluminum molding on the wall. Then with a small screw driver press the groove at the top of the insert trim in to the top grove on the aluminum molding and continue this process around to the other end. It will work but will take some time and patience. One tip leave about and inch of nose trim sticking out of each end for a while after you have the trim installed. This stuff will shrink after it is installed and produce a small space at each end with no trim. I did not remove the aluminum molding from the wall.

As I said this was in 2001, so the type of nose trim available today might not work out the same way.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I replaced my insert nosing with vertical blind material, comes in 16 ft stips for about $3 a strip, cut it into 1" wide strips and slipped it into the aluminum channel. It comes in about a hundred colors. I did the whole trailer for less than $10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	96254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5349.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	96255  

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/