Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Installing insert nosing

Thanks for your ideas. I tried to use both a thin 1" scraper and a small screw driver to get the nosing into the channel. I may lack a certain finesse because both of them damaged the edge of the plastic nosing when I tried to insert it into the aluminum moulding channel. The material I got is too rigid. It resists flexing in the middle and if it does flex, it flexes inward defeating my attempts to slip the edge into the channel.

I like the idea of using another kind of material but I have $60 of this stuff and don't want to throw it away. If I find a solution (other than tearing out the cabinets) I will post it for anyone else who attempts to do this.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
[QUOTE=Eagle & Bear;810308]Thanks for your ideas. I tried to use both a thin 1" scraper and a small screw driver to get the nosing into the channel. I may lack a certain finesse because both of them damaged the edge of the plastic nosing when I tried to insert it into the aluminum moulding channel. The material I got is too rigid. It resists flexing in the middle and if it does flex, it flexes inward defeating my attempts to slip the edge into the channel.

I like the idea of using another kind of material but I have $60 of this stuff and don't want to throw it away. If I find a solution (other than tearing out the cabinets) I will post it for anyone else who attempts to do this.[/QUOTE

That's one reason I like that blind material. Most places you can just slip it into the end of the channel and feed it around, but if you can't get to the end, you just flex it in the middle and pop it in. A little help with a dull paring knife might be needed to help guide it but it goes in pretty easily. And if I decide to change the colors in the trailer, it is very easy and inexpensive to just replace it to match. I even put it in the channel over the locker above the front windows!

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
I wonder if you heat the trim with a hair dryer if it would make it any easier? Just a thought.
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I was able to feed the 16 foot piece through after shaving the back of the plastic insert and spraying silicon in the chanel. Had to do a push pull but it is now installed. Next is the bath area.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #25
jay

1974 27' Overlander
danville , New Hampshire
Isadora,

Where did you get the mini blind material? That sounds like the best idea that I have hear.

Thanks, Jay.
jaygood31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I was able to feed the 16 foot piece through after shaving the back of the plastic insert and spraying silicon in the chanel. Had to do a push pull but it is now installed. Next is the bath area.
Eagle & Bear,

Would you please describe how you "shaved the back"?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygood31 View Post
Isadora,

Where did you get the mini blind material? That sounds like the best idea that I have hear.

Thanks, Jay.
I bought it at a local specialty store, Mr C's, where they sell blinds and window dressings. You can probably buy it anywhere they sell custom vertical blinds, it comes in a 16' strip and is usually sold to custom fit any window size or as replacement strips. I cut it into narrow strips with a pair of scissors after I had carefully marked out the width on the back with a permanent marker.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
sunny 75

1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
painting bathroom trim

I did paint some of the blue exterior trim with Krylon Fusion in "Buttercream". It fit perfectly, looks great and was bendable for the places you can't slide it in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunny bath 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	162300  
Attached Images

sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
My 1975 has what appears to be similar pieces around the curtain canopy.I used strips of formica.I think it comes in 2 thicknesses,and I used the thinnest. It went around the curved corners easily.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote