Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Santa Barbara , California
Replacing interior skin

Hi,

I am helping a friend remodel his 1975 Safari. He removed all the interior skin to replace the electric wiring. My question is whether or not there is a less expensive option for replacing the interior skin rather than using aluminum??? Thanks, Scott
svanpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation Warning, Will Robinson!

The inner skin forms an important part of the entire structure, a part that helps holds things up (a lot).

Be very care with what you use to replace it.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Some PO had replaced the interior door skin on my Classic Moho with Luan. Ripped all of that crap out. As well, pulled all the pink fiberglass and replacing with Reflectix. I'm still working on getting door aligned. Once door is as good as I can get, will replace door skin with Aluminum, as it was designed.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The inner skin forms an important part of the entire structure, a part that helps holds things up (a lot).

Be very care with what you use to replace it.
Do you know what thickness the aluminum is on the interior walls of a 1970's Airstream? I Agree with you on strength of aluminum but need to find the least expensive sheets for the job. The interior skin will be covered up by wall paper.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
What did you remove? If the original interior panels are in decent condition just clean and reinstall. There are wallpaper adhesives which should bond wallpaper to the vinyl. Or strip and paint as desired. No need to replace the entire interior if you are willing to employ a little elbow grease and some time.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I agree with rumrunner but I chose to replace rather than strip. I am changing the interior layout so I wanted to start clean. I went with 5052 .032. I have seen people use the thinner .025 but I thought it puckered too much and looked cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9161069.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	172929  
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I agree with rumrunner but I chose to replace rather than strip. I am changing the interior layout so I wanted to start clean. I went with 5052 .032. I have seen people use the thinner .025 but I thought it puckered too much and looked cheap.
Thanks a million for the reply. The inside was a mess. Holes drilled every which way but loose in the interior skin... The wife of my friend whom I am helping is VERY particular. She wants the inside to be as perfect as possible. Your advice on thickness of aluminum was prefect. I will go with thicker gauge to prevent puckering. Where did you buy your aluminum and how much should I expect to pay per square foot? Cheers, Scott
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Aircraft Spruce is a popular name for metal supplies.

Metals & Plastics from Aircraft Spruce

They aren't alone though.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanpelt View Post
Thanks a million for the reply. The inside was a mess. Holes drilled every which way but loose in the interior skin... The wife of my friend whom I am helping is VERY particular. She wants the inside to be as perfect as possible. Your advice on thickness of aluminum was prefect. I will go with thicker gauge to prevent puckering. Where did you buy your aluminum and how much should I expect to pay per square foot? Cheers, Scott
I get my metal from aircraft spruce but you can also try airparts
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote