Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #57
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
I covered the copper with a UV lacquer, And my fav is the fact that I dont have to worry about scratches or dents because of the distressed surface! The coins and key were made with a rubber mallet and are in the countertop in the back bedrm. Ive often wished for the beauty of real wood as well!! Good luck with your project! This pic is of the copper and steel transom [sunflowers]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2897.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	177697  

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #58
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Here's a quick update showing the panel we made for the solar controller & Trimetric battery monitor. This is mounted right next to the fridge vent... Once things get a little more finshed and cleaned up we can post more pictures - like one of the butcher block kitchen counter.

- Bart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BatMonitorPanel_5243.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	180139  

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Whew! That was a push!

Progress has been made, but between work and home and birch-i-fying the Tin Pickle, I just haven't have time to take, sort and post pictures. Bart and I worked all last weekend and all this weekend and it's finally coming together.

One feature in the new Pickle is a desk for Bart to work at when he's "at work" in some scenic location. Last time we tried this, he crammed his knees into one side of the old two sided cabinet under the desk. The challenge was to make a comfortable desk with no wasted space at the sides that could also serve as clothing storage when the whole family travels together.

Here's the desk without its top with the new tambour closed:

Name:	P1110799.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	180773

And here it is in "shelf basket" mode:

Name:	P1110801.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	180774

The shelf will fold up to allow foot room when it's just a desk. There will also be a keyboard tray on drawer slides to put the keyboard at a more ergonomic height. The curved pieces on either side of the basket shelf are open topped storage boxes accessible in both desk and shelf basket configurations.

Here's a more clear picture of the battery monitor and solar panel indicator, in its new, birch wood setting. The counter is beech butcher block from Ikea. Yes, it adds a bit of poundage (about 60 pounds net gain), but we've saved weight by keeping the original aluminum framing (and reinforced it for the duty). We are loving the warmth of the wood tones.

Name:	P1110805.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	180775

Another big task has been the pantry. We wanted more organization, easily accessible, all within the original framework. I made the shelves a bit deeper and changed their spacing, but everything else is as it was, just with birch instead of brown plastic. I'll do a full pantry post later. Here's a sneak preview - borrowing some space from the pantry to make a headboard cubby for overnighters in our "guest room" when the back dinette serves as a single bed. It isn't finished here, obviously, but this gives an idea of how it goes together:

Name:	CubbyP1110811.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	180780

Name:	P1110812.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	180777

Last of all, something of an overview of the new effect of birch. I can't do any wider views because the trailer is still strewn with tools, construction materials and stuff that is waiting to go back into the pantry and cupboards.

Name:	BarCounterP1110814.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	180779

I'll get more pictures up later this week as we tidy up loose ends.

I can't seem to delete these tipped versions I posted at first. Just ignore them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110811.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	180776   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110814.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	180778  

Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
It's done!

Well, it's as done as it's going to be for a little while. Those last few % of a job can take twice as long to fall into place as the whole rest of the work.

It was so lovely to wake up inside a birch trailer after our first night on the geode trip. I hadn't realized just how much that beat up, old, dark, plastic wood bulkhead next to the door was coloring my view of the whole interior.

Name:	FullBirchAftP1110827.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	182025
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Great job. I have watched your work for a while now. I have appreciated your approach and appreciated Barts advice along the way. Also your piece meal, rational approach has kept my spirits up when I saw the overwhelming almost endless full monte I followed and considered the work that laid ahead for me. Now I am into it.

Again Great job really looks good.

Tony S
Rogue River
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looks great, Barbie! So much nicer than the dark "wood" that was there!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Very nice work. I really like the light birch wood. I like the way you have designed and built the cabinets, so they are functional for you.

Dan
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Absolutely beautiful!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Capitan , New Mexico
Can you tell me if the frame of the cabinet in the kitchen is 1 x 3 or 2 x 4? The stove needs to be suspended and I want it sturdy.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The frame of the cabinet in the kitchen is the original aluminum extrusions. They keep it stiff enough and are screwed to the bulkheads for vertical support.

We reinforced the side of the tambour housing with a bit (~5" x 9") of 1/4" birch plywood that goes down to the floor and is held there by a piece of aluminum angle. The tambour housing had originally been supported by the furnace duct, which we removed.

Here is a picture of our sink base with the oven removed. The weight of the oven is supported entirely by the counter. On the bulkhead side of the oven, we ran a piece of 1" x 1" aluminum angle which is bolted through the bulkhead at about 5 or 6 places to distribute the load. It is also screwed into the counter top from underneath. Our new counter top is 1 1/2" beech butcher block, so it didn't need any reinforcing for stiffness along the side of the oven. It is supported by the bulkhead, as previously described, by the extruded aluminum cabinet casing, by 1/4" plywood end, and by a ledger board (more aluminum angle) along the back wall.

I hope this helps.

Name:	VeneerDetail_4569.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	182438