Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Here's a picture of the cabinet "bones" with the oven and sink removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SinkSupport_4546.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	175895

I have a shim under the 1x1 wood that runs up along the tall central tambour case. I can't be positive that Airstream planned on using the edge of the furnace duct as a structural support for the sink cabinet. I'd rather have extra support there than not enough, so I'll install a permanent block to provide support there.

It would have made sense for Airstream to have extended that central partition to the wall to pick up some more support, but that's where they put their drain vent. Sometimes I think the different design departments didn't talk to each other much.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If the tambour from under the sink is in half way decent shape maybe we can do some horse trading. Send me a PM

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post

It's Zep's fault that I even started
Yeah Zep is like a pebble in the pond. You can probably blame a lot of restos on him.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Today's question: what do we do with the kitchen counter top?

Do we go for an accent color, as the original Harvest Gold was for the dark original paneling? If a color, do we pick up the blue from the front upholstery or the green from the back room upholstery, or something that contrasts and acts as an accent to both?

Or do we go for a gray that matches the tone of the stainless sink and oven cover? If gray, do we go with laminate or stainless steel? If laminate, do we choose a solid color or patterned gray boomerang for a nod to retro?

Part of the "problem" is that we'd both probably be fine with any of these, as long as the surface is fairly low maintenance and not ghastly in appearance.

It's a fairly big question and I'm a bit concerned that we've started this whole undertaking without an answer. But it gives me something to mull over as I head out to more varnishing and veneer trimming.

One thing I don't know: What might the downsides of a stainless steel counter be?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
... not ghastly in appearance.
problem with that is, it is entirely dependent on what decade you happen to be in.
That pickled dark-wood and stale yellow was *high-style* for 1971. (Don't you watch "Brady Bunch" re-runs? ).
I'd go with something neutral that looks nice w/ the birch; that's not likely to change, but the other stuff (flooring, curtains, upholstery) will.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
That pickled dark-wood and stale yellow was *high-style* for 1971. (Don't you watch "Brady Bunch" re-runs? ).
I'd go with something neutral that looks nice w/ the birch; that's not likely to change, but the other stuff (flooring, curtains, upholstery) will.
Shoot, I don't need the Brady Bunch reruns to remember the '70s. I was there in person. And, yes, I thought that dark wood paneling looked...elegant?

When I was remodeling a kitchen, I picked a style by checking out 20 year old interior design books from the library and searching out the things that didn't look jarringly, alarmingly dated. It's hard to know what will be classic and what will scream "disco" in a few decades.

Which brings up the sociological question of what is appealing now due to fashion and what is actually just good design. Heck, what do I know? I was a biology major. What appeals to me is the pragmatic. Give me a good, solid chem lab bench and I'd be happy. Maybe stainless is the way to go...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner

Maybe stainless is the way to go...
I have no background for this, but I've often thought that 10 year from now, stainless will be viewed as the "avocado green" of the 2000s. Again - what do I know?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The original harvest gold counter was one of the things I actually like about the original decor. So it might have survived as a nod to the olden days if it hadn't clashed so horribly with the birch. The birch came along with its warm, rosy undertones and made the harvest gold look seasick. Not a feature I want in a Land Yacht.

Still up in the air about counter tops.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Wow - I can't wait to see all of this at Casini!!! For the countertop we went for a contrast that tied in the other colors. We used Wilsonart laminate in the kitchen. Formica had some cool patterns too and I've also seen some very cool countertops with Marmoleum. The only downside I see to stainless is keeping it looking nice. We added a lot of stainless in our trailer and it shows spots and streaks big time!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1420476295.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	176005  

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Don't know whether weight or cost are a factor for you in using stainless steel for the counter-top, but I was freaked out at both the dollar estimate and weight estimate for our '62 Flying Cloud's counter. We ain't goin' stainless!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We're currently, as of this moment, leaning towards birch butcher block. That would be about 30 lbs for the 5 1/2 square feet that are left after the oven and sink cutouts take their bites.

Stainless might add some weight to the plywood, but I can't see it adding more than the 30 lbs extra that granite floor tile would add. We'd go the easy route with stainless, gluing it directly to the existing plywood and cutting the corners flush for the original trim - no heavy underlayments or welded seams to add weight and expense.

I finally pulled up a kitchen picture in Photoshop, birchified the old walls and cabinets and then did a series of layers with different counter and backsplash colors. The birch seems to work best, but is even better if we cover the white wall behind the stove with stainless.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
New pictures will go up as soon as I get a posting issue resolved.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
No, I haven't been slacking off, even though I haven't posted pictures in a few days. Posting pictures of each layer of varnish is about as interesting as, well, as watching paint dry.

I've scribed and cut the pieces for the end of the kitchen counter and the side of the back closet. Rather than wait until I have the closet apart to cut and start varnishing the new wood, I'm trying a backwards approach. Scribed the new wood along where the old stuff seems to sit in its aluminum channel.

Here's a picture of me with the compass in an approximation of my scribe position (in reality, the point and pencil would be in a line parallel to the ground) and below it is the new bulkhead after it was cut. I love how much lighter the birch is, and I love it even more after the varnish brings out the depth of the grain.

Name:	Scribing_4565.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	176302

Name:	ScribedClosetBulkhead_4566.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	176301

Here is a detail of the kitchen veneer.

Name:	VeneerDetail_4569.jpg
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	176304

And this is what my days have been mostly filled with: varnishing inside the trailer, where I can keep the work warm and relatively dust free. The long piece on the kitchen cabinet will be the underside of the cabinets over the back closet. Also: the closet side is resting on the back bed, the kitchen tambour is dry enough to sit on its side on the floor. It supports the two pieces that will go at the base of the closet. So many pieces of wood! And I haven't even started cutting out the pieces that will make up the new desk.

Name:	VarnishCentral_4580.jpg
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	176303
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looking good!

The birch is going to be really pretty. I'd finish it clear, myself. It would brighten up the interior a lot.

I'll be following your progress.