Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Charlotte , North Carolina
Question Replacing carpet with tile - 76 Ambassador

Hi Everyone,
Hubby and I bought a '76 29' Ambassador last year. We want to rip out the carpet and put down these neat orange rubber tiles. I want to buy the tiles for a Xmas gift, and with the Airstream on our farm (i.e. not where we live), I have no clue how many boxes of tile to purchase. I'm wondering if any of your might give me an idea, or might know how many square feet of carpeting a renovation took in the past.... There are 25 tiles to a box, and the tiles are 1' square. The airstream is 29' long, with the bed in the middle. Anyone have any idea how wide the airstream is? I want this to be a surprise, and need someone's help! me! Sandy

slmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Originally Posted by slmontgomery
Anyone have any idea how wide the airstream is? I want this to be a surprise, and need someone's help! me! Sandy
I love surprises!

Maybe someone with the same model will chime in to help you the meantime, your Airstream should be right around 8' wide +/-, the wide-bodies didn't come around until later. You also need to consider whether you will be placing the tiles under the bed/cabinets or not. If so, deduct 3' from the length of your trailer for the bumper & tongue (a 29' trailer would be 26' of floor) and multiply that by 8'. If not installing under the cabinets/bed/sofas, the square footage can be reduced by quite a bit most likely at least 1/2 ro 2/3, the actual exposed floor area is really very small.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
No matter how you figure square footage...
I had planned on using cut off pieces in other areas rather than wasting them... cutting scrap to fill in and so on.... using a half tile cut off from one side on the other side. Even so, I had to invest in a second box of tile... it came 110 sq ft per box and I was just slightly over.... only five foot over! Boy! Am I glad we did! Used about a third of the second box! Mis marked, or mis cut tiles, accounted for the wastage. We were using a multi directional tile, but many are to be installed one direction only, with little arrows on the back to help keep you straight.
Make a layout pattern before you do anything else! Including ordering the tile!

Elizabeth in Iowa
(Been there, done that!)
The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Charlotte , North Carolina
I didn't think about direction...and the fact the tiles lock on one side....ooops...glad you caught me. Sandy
slmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I was told my 31' Airstream has 122 square feet of open floorspace, by someone here (can't remember who) who replaced their carpeting with cork flooring.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote