Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Replace or Overhaul ???

I have a 1971 31 foot trailer. New AC and Hot water tank. I have the plastic wood interior used commonly. my 73 overlander had the same. carpet has been replaced but years ago curtains =newer. upholstery =newer. I am trying to decide. I will also be doing the axles in the future. not shot but original. many miles left on them. My towvehicle will do what ever I need it to so thats not an issue.
I cant decide I either want to downsize to a 27 footer no smaller than 25. or overhaul this ones interior. I would really like a rear bedroom model I presently have mid twins. Looking for opinions please. Positive or negative on my thoughts.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Sounds like you have done a bit of work to the one you have. I guess it would boil down to whether or not you liked the floor plan and the general soundness of your existing trailer. If you can live with the current floor plan I would rework the interior with a more modern look and put in a gray tank while you have it pulled apart. For me - I really like rehabbing the one I have - it's an enjoyable project outside of work.
There's always the fun in the hunt for another trailer though........
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You may not get much for your 31 footer, as not many people want them right now... Mine is 28' the max i wanted because i dry camp..... If you get another one you might end up redoing it too... My friends 04' has less wood in it than my 68'

As far as redoing it... I have a wood shop, and have bought some 3/4 and 1/4 birch ply from home depot... I and gonna start at the front and work my way back. The lay out will stay the same, except I am gonna put bunks in the middle for the kids and maybe a futon on the other side if it doesn't block the isle all the way..

I figure a section at a time since it is in good condition right now... But I don't like the dark color. It is mostly wood but the upper cabinets are plastic...

When I start i will start a post with pics... Heading to the Tetons next week so don't want to start yet...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Mustang,
Do you want to stay vintage or are you willing to go newer?

I like to tinker and take on little projects. Your list of upgrades and improvements would have me thinking about replacing the current coach and going with something newer with all the features that I wanted.

When we went looking for Airstream #2 ('87 34'er named Savannah) we wanted a gently used newer coach with a queen bed (finding a queen was difficult). It took a lot of looking but it finally paid off. We got a very nice coach that needed just enough small projects to keep me out of trouble and it is a unique find. Unique in that it is a double door model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0399.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	66019  
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I really like vintage. My old gas pumps lubesters and hot rod Rat rod theme. The front bed in this is most uncomfortable. My last son home is 17 so he will be gone soon then it will be my girl and I. We have seen alot of nice newer ones. But she is also into Antiques so it only seems fitting we stay vintage. It would probably be very difficult to make this a rear bed and mid bath, unless I replace the floor. I have been thinking about this for probably 3 years and dont want to move till I have a set plan to execute.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Deitz You have basically what I am thinking just minor changes like possibly a wood burner also I though that was so cool when I saw that thread. Also my neighbor last name is deitz? any relatiions in Kent ohio?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
converting that rear bath to a bedroom would be a big project, I kind of like mine but i have a 2.5 and a 5.5 year old so we don't get to sleep in anyway... the front fold down bed works for us right now.... I am gonna change it to a futon cushion though, when I redo it after our Teton trip.... maybe before...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Deitz You have basically what I am thinking just minor changes like possibly a wood burner also I though that was so cool when I saw that thread. Also my neighbor last name is deitz? any relatiions in Kent ohio?
Mustang,
Nope, no relation in Ohio. Deitz is just a fraternity nickname. My last name is Deitrich.

Vintage is 25 years old or more, right? So anything from 1983 or older is vintage. What year did they get away from using the plastic wood (I don't like it either)? So maybe you could find something more to your tastes in decor and floorplan that is just, or just about to become vintage?

We have a nice wood interior and the only thing plastic in it is the interior end caps with the plastic tambors over the cubby holes. I look at it this way; in four more years I will have a vintage Airstream.

I sort of thought wood burners in an airstream was an accident waiting to happen. Although I guess propane could be just as dangerous.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Aging Sucks!

It gets harder and harder to sleep on an uncomfortable bed AND the 2AM potty break becomes an ordinary ritual... and the mid bath units become more and more impractical.

Also as the kids leave, you retire and you want to travel more, making up mid twins every day is just a plain PAIN.

So if you want a rear bed unit, rather than gut and rebuild, I say FIND one that already has that layout.... or a giveaway that someone gutted and then ran out of energy on.

Just my two cents, and worth exactly what you paid for it!

Paula
Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I do not care for the aircraft cabin look many Airstreams have. If I had a newer then my '64 and it had the aircraft cabin look I would tear it all out, I would use thin plywood to build the divider walls, cabinets, doors and apply laminates for color and use only thick wood were necessary for strength. I would stay away from solid woods or particle boards of any kind. Grey tank would be nice but I can live without. Pex for plumbing, modern electronics for power, full bath, stove top, convection/microwave, LED lighting, two-way fridge, , front dinette, as much storage as possible. I would go more vintage with the overall look. I like the idea of pressurized water but would probably stick to an on-demand system. Hot water and fresh water tanks would drain into the grey water line. So far I have been able to live without A/C, but a furnace would be installed, ducted to the bathroom. I like to be warm when I step out of the shower. Guess I need another Airstream to empty my head of ideas.

Derek
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
you know your probably right foiled. I graguated high school in 84 and for some reason vintage for me is 70 and older. So if I got a 80 s vintage. I would be stay vintage. Probably the practical thing to do. I could see my self now tear this thing all apart then wood floor ect. Then crack the frame and have to dig back into it. I guess if I go that route I am better of gutting it or replaceing it. My trailer is a great trailer just the floor plan. I am the 3rd owner Guy in Texas then engineer for PPG in Pa. then me. Always had numbers.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
dnrtheil your interior is somethin man thats nice. I am not that good with wood. But you did a heck of a nice job