Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replace gaucho with recliners?

I know some folks have replaced their gaucho with chairs, or recliners. Could I hear some comments & experiences from those who have done it? We are right on the edge of making a conversion. Our gaucho is fine, and we will sell it, but we just want to try the recliner thing so we can get our legs up (knee replacements etc) Is there much to cover/disguise/move when you take the gaucho out??
Advice? Comments good and bad please.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Anniedog,
Use the "Search" button and the key word Recliners, you will a dozen or so threads with a bunch of info from folks like me that have done the conversion.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Please see my conversion - I was helped as my batteries are on the side of the coach - simply constructed a fake wall to hide wiring,etc. - we really like the recliners.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile groucho

Do you really have a Gaucho in your Airstream?

A Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.

There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.
No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but I did find a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, A Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Michael, I hear you loud and clear: I have always been baffled at why people refer to their couch or hideabed as a "gaucho".
I knew about the clothing and the cattle herders etc. but the reference to gaucho as a piece of furniture never made any sense.
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think we need to Pee Wee this one.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
maybe that's where the gaucho sleeps? i wouldn't mind finding a gouchA sleeping in my trailer ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
In many models, removing the front couch (gaucho?) and replacing it with recliners could mean that the dining table may not deploy.

This is because most recliners are deeper than the AS couch (unless of course the couch is deployed as a bed).
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #9

What kind of recliners did you use? Make Model and width etc.??
drfredwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Yes! Good thought! Would those members who have done the replacement post the brand, model number etc. of the recliners they used please? It would help the rest of us in our searches.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
WINDSOR , Ontario
I am looking for a gacho bed and yes it is a gaucho. If you do take yours out let me know i would be interested in seeing it as i need a gaucho, not a sofa, not a couch, but a real gaucho bed. Thanks
MAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Three months ago I took apart our couch which was quite easy and replaced it with two recliners we found at Sam's club. They are 40 inches across at the widest point and work well. I also took out the two folding tables as the recliners blocked them by several inches and we couldnt use them. They also were very easy to remove but I did keep the shelf portion. It was well worth t what little effort it took and the battery boxes were not in the way at all...
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Front sofa removal and replacement with 2 recliners.

Neither of us liked the front sofa that came in our 30' 2008 Classic. It just did not fit right and we didn't require the fold out sofa. We searched the Airforums posts and found that we were not alone and found several sources that were very valuable for doing the conversion.

The major issues are what to do with the battery boxes, they protrude into the area covered by the sofa and what to do with the electrical wiring and components that are also buried underneath the sofa.

I decided that the best solution for us was to box in the battery boxes and relocate the electrical mess between the 2 boxes. The boxes I built around the plastic battery boxes provided an anchor point for mounting the various electrical components. In addition the anchoring of the boxes to the plywood flooring provided a secure means of mounting the cabinetry that would follow.

I have completed the first phase of the project which consisted of building a cabinet that matches the upper ceiling cabinet and purchase of the 2 recliners and foot rests. The recliners we selected were the Ekornes stressless that several others have used when doing their conversion. They are by far the most expensive cost of doing our conversion but we selected them after looking at several other options. There certainly other similar recliners that could be used. Our criteria for the recliners was that they be very comfortable and that we could leave them in one spot where they would not protrude too far into the living area and still be fully reclined without hitting anything. We have made 3 trips with them and are very happy with how they fit in.

The second phase of the project will be the construction of a cabinet that will sit on top of the first phase as well as the removal of the double fold out table which we also didn't use. The top and sides where the table had been will be converted to a double door cabinet that will be used for storage, probably for liquor bottles.

The second phase should be completed before the end of the month.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Picasa Web Albums - ioconnel - Bandit Renova...#

I'm new at trying to forward pictures but I'm trying. The link above should direct you to the pictures that should have gone with the post. They begin with what it looked like with the sofa in place and follow through to the point that we are at today. We actually made a couple of trips with the templates installed before I installed the finished parts. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone attempting this conversion. If I can be of help let me know. I'll be posting again when the secong phase is complete, hopefully by the end of the month. Jerry.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Front sofa removal and replacement with two recliners.

Picasa Web Albums - ioconnel - Bandit Renova...#

I've completed the second phase of the remodel in our 2008 30' Classic. It took longer than anticipated due to production issues with the component parts. The second phase involved construction of a cabinet to sit against the front wall, on top of the deck built for the first phase.

I also removed the bi-fold table which we never use. In its place I mounted a face frame and 2 doors with a shelf in the center. We plan to use this as a liquor cabinet.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to share any info that might help with your project. Jerry.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Bandits-
Wow, that recliner conversion came out very nice. The wood shelf behind the recliners looks very usable, and the wood it's self it just beautiful.
LydiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
By dumb luck, when looking at Ekernes recliners, we found a curved sofa on sale!
It fits, is much better than a dinette and a fraction of the cost of 2 Ekernes recliners.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4565.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	111011  
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
By dumb luck, when looking at Ekornes recliners, we found a curved sofa on sale!
It fits, is much better than a dinette and a fraction of the cost of 2 Ekornes recliners.
Bob
It looks like the sofa you found was made to go there. Very nice and the color is a good match. With ours being a 30' unit we were able to keep our dinette. Jerry.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Beautiful!

Great craftsmanship on the cabinets and chair choice; we have owned a pair of Ekornes chairs for 20 years, and they still look new! Enjoy your journey!
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #20

Copley , Ohio
where did you find that couch, looks great!
sublimepi is offline   Reply With Quote