Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
Question Repairing split '79 Argosy RB ceiling.

Have this 3/16th's inch wide split accross middle of the ceiling, left to right and want to know if it can be fixed in situ so as not to show ?
Think it was caused from vibration of added spare wheel carrier and lightweight storage box mounted on rear bumper in 1991. These items are bolted to frames which are braced to the two main chassis members from underneath and intend removing them and fitting spare under tongue at front. There is no apparent movement of the outer skin or deformation. TT bought new and only used like once a year on vacation from S. Africa and has been stored in AZ. since 1994, with no accidents. Thanks for some advice. Cheetah.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Greetings from Canada Cheeta!

I had one of the most wonderful times of my life when I flew to Cape Town in February, 2010, rented a little Chevy Aveo at the airport, and drove solo across 5 of your 9 great provinces.

Followed the N2 up the coast to Durban through Swellendam, Mossell Bay, Knysna, Port Elizabeth, Addo, Grahamstown, Mthatha, Kokstad and Port Shepstone…

Then inland toward Jo’Berg, turning left at Harrissmith, to Clarens, across Lesotho to Bloemfontein- then down to Graaff-Reinet, Oudtshoorn and across the Robertson Valley …

Saw very few trailers or caravans during my 27 days on the road- and no Airstreams or trailer parks. The amazing, ever changing biomes and the magnificent warmth of the South African people will be remembered and cherished forever.

About your cracked ceiling, if you mean the ABS or plastic shell at the rear this can be repaired, in place, using a BONDO or similar fiberglass repair kit, available at auto supply stores. Lots of sanding and a good prime and paint job to follow..

The attachments to the trailer are probably the cause but you are removing those.

I have never been there but have dealt with OASIS RV in Tucson, Arizona long distance. They have a good reputation and could probably do this for you.

I made such repairs during the “contemporization” of my 1976 Argosy, main thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701

Sergei

Toronto, Canada
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Cheetah

1978 Argosy 30
Kensington , Gauteng
Smile Repairing split bathroom ceiling 1979 RB Argosy 30'

Hello Smokeless Joe,
Thanks for your advice re the above and will make a note to contact those folk in Tucson by e-mail. There are numerous repair outlets in Apache Junction/Mesa I am told as it is a great haven for Snowbirds, but I have not had the opportunity to look them up, as yet. Releived to know it can be done as you suggest !
Glad you enjoyed our small but diverse country, and the exchange rate must have been pure pleasure, I'm sure. That is how it was in 1975 when we got our 31' AS Sovereign and paid for a new Caprice Classic Cpe.to tow it for just R3,500. We got $1,55 to R1 but now our Rand is only 14,5 U.S. cents. Visited friends in Toronto and stayed on Pierson International Airport back where the people who sold some DC-4's to us for a U.N. WFP food airlift in Mozambique, had a few hangars. Still found Canada more expensive than America so went back South to visit Sue St. Marie, and loved the visit to the big old hotel on the island. Cannot get over the big change in values in N. America which make it so difficult to vacation there these days, especially the cost of petrol (gas) Here it is now R10,29/liter for LRP(leaded) Wishing you well and enjoy that strong Canadian dollar! Kind regards, Robin.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote