Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT

Went to remove my curtains for cleaning today and found this....ewwww!!!

Can't even tell you what I think it is.....Had to follow up with photos

To clean:

1/2 Oxyclean & 1/2 Water Mixture in spray bottle
Blot clean with wet cloth
Wet Vac area

repeat as necessary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stain1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	19807   Click image for larger version

Name:	stain2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	19808  

enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #44
Pat Egnor
1990 36' Land Yacht
Huntsville , Ohio
Accoustical Headliner Replacement

Looking into taking your advise on my 1990 Land yacht I want to do this right. Going to remove old padding strip adhesive off ceiling. I talked to Acoustic Product Division (www. about recommended panels for the motorhome. They suggested using their "Faced Accoustical Foam" panels which are 4'x8'x1/2" panels at $51.37. They also suggested using their "Misty Spray Adhesive" I figured when I am done I would have a total material investment of 10 panels @ 510.00 dollars and 10 cans of foam $120 dollars, total investment of $630 dollars. Do you have any recommendations or comments I would apreciate it.
Thanks, Pat

egnorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

The adhesive must be put on the ceiling and the panel.

I don't think 10 cans of adhesive is enough, unless they are huge cans.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Ceiling Repair

I posted on this subject quite a long time ago about my 95 30' Classic with drooping ceiling. I tried recommended adhesive-wouldn't hold very long. Tried 2" wide very clear plexiglass strips with Alum screws. This worked, but had problem with cracking of strips on bedroom curves to sidewall, as the plexiglass was not quite as flexible as I thought.

Latest effort has held good for a year so far. Purchased white plastic trim strips from Lowes and used short white painted Aluminum screws to secure to ceiling. The strips are flexible and hold quite well, and I can't imagine them causing a problem in the future. Used clear rosettes with white Al screws on curved ceiling just inside the doorway where a strip all way across the top is not necessary for support or appearance. Looks good enough for us, and no one has ever said anything about noticing it. The cost is minimal.

BTW, I found a place in Fl some time before I hit upon this fix who would remove the headliner and glue and put hi grade material glued to the ceiling aluminum panels( the material is similar to the material on the sides around the sofa) for $ 50/ft. They sent me pics of Motorhomes they had done, and it looked really good. But spending $1500 caused me to try my own fixes.

Airstream factory told me to remove the vinyl and glue myself and reglue new vinly/foam headliner material to the ceiling panels. No way I will try that on my own. Of course A/S will replace the whole ceiling panels for about $4000-5000. Looks to me like I would have the same problem again in a few years.
I am willing to take some pics of my ceiling and post if anyone wants; you may have to tell me how to post digital pics, tho.

Ken Harrell
Ken10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
ceiling repair

I was not referring to the adhesive in the previous posts, but was referring to the 3M spray adhesive A/S suggested i try. A/S told me it probably would not hold.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member
1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Headliner Repair

Bumping this up to current status as I had problem addressed here and I'm sure other newbies will experience same. Will use screws on mine. Thanks for everyones recommendations.
95 Landyacht
gunworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #49
Vintage Airstreams Rock!
1953 21' Flying Cloud
1949 18' Trailwind
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Broomfield , Colorado
Droopy Ceiling

I just got back from Jackson Center and was chatting with a couple who were there to get their entire ceiling replaced in their Excella. I think they told me the cost was to be $700 PER PANEL!!!!! This renewed my contentment with a Zolatone ceiling on one of my trailers and a riveted in hard finish in my other!

Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

This is just me, but I just can't bring myself to punch a bunch of extra holes in my ceiling. Just seems so "makeshift" and would bug me every time I looked at it, and is in the single most conspicuous location in the trailer. Exposed aluminum in this area is far less offensive to me, so exposed it will stay until I'm ready to re-cover it properly myself.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Ceiling Repairs

I have posted about 10 pics in Members Photos of the drooping ceiling repairs I made on my 1995 30ft Excella. It has held up well so far. It also is very cheap and easy to do.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #52
Actually looks pretty good. The battens look original and it save what could be a very big job.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member
1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
FIX for drooping ceiling

There is an easier way.
The original ceiling was vinyl with a foam backing that was glued to the ceiling boards and installed before any cabinets or accessories. The foam dried out and the vinly drooped.
On my previous Motor Home (a classic GMC) I took all the cabinets and accessories down and removed the old vinyl. Then I sanded off the old glue and made new vinyl panels, glued them to the boards and re-installed everything.
SO, when this happened in the "new" Airstream, I was smarter!!!
Go to the hardware store and buy a couple hundered white thumb tacks.
Yep, regular white thumb tacks.
Start with a dull table knife and make sure the vinyl ceiling material is under the plastic edging strip. Then start with a pattern of thumb tacks across the ceiling, tacking the vinyl back to the ceiling board. I found about an 8" pattern worked great. As it spread throughout the coach, I thumb tacked it back in place and now have a beautiful "Diamon Tuffted Ceiling". You could pay a lot of money for such a fancy ceiling, but I spent $2.29 for 300 white thum tacks and fixed it forever.
"The Roadhouse" our Land Yachts name
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member
1996 30' Excella
Burlington, Ont. Canada , Ontario, Canada
Interesting, I have a 1996 30 Ft Excella and the problem is just occurring in small area of the bedroom celing and hangs down at the seam. I called Can-Am AS dealer in London Ont. They advised that they have success wtih Spray 90 a 3M product. Apparently you can get it at Home Depot. I will give it a try.
Easyriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Easy, be sure to let us know how satisfied you are with this product. Some already have this problem and others know that it will just be a matter of time. It would be interesting to know how you applied it and how well it works.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #56
TOG Unit Member
1979 31' Excella 500
1995 36' Classic 36
Marietta , Georgia
Great thread on Headliner vinyl ceiling repair for mid 90's vintage AS. I have a 94 MOHO Classic and one or two areas are beginning to droop. The complete replace makes sense but expensive. Adhensive or Glue don't seem to be the answer. The plastic trim strips, short screws might be a quick fix. The white thumb tacks are an interesting idea. Let's keep this thread alive. Please add new ideas or repeat success from old tips to fix the droopies.

BudClem is offline   Reply With Quote