Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Bump! I am bringing this thread back to active status since the forum has had discussion recently about headliner droop in some 90's era Airstreams. We still have our problem, worsened now, because I have been "chicken" to do the job with the screws driven into the ceiling that we need to do. I think I am desperate enough now to attempt the repair, but I am wondering how Oglerb's ceiling has held up since he did it? If you are still on the forum, Oglerb, will you please update us on the repair? This is a fairly deep discussion thread, but if others out there have additional comments, we'll appreciate them. Just about any repair will be better than dodging the hanging ceiling that we have now! Thanks, ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
maxandgeorgia

How do you want to fix it?

If you want to do it the "correct" way, please see our post above dated 1-22-2005.

If you want to mickey mouse it, then the best advice we can give you, is, "good luck". Anything short of the correct way, will eventually haunt you.

Andy

Old 03-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Any answers to this from earlier in the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Has anyone had any luck in removing the "black stains" on the walls of the 94-98 models? It looks like oxidation has bleed through or maybe its just the glue. I have tried everything that I can think of to remove the stains but so far nothing has done the job.
Any advice? I am thinking about trying a little bleach, everything else I've tried has failed--carpet stain remover, etc. Thought I'd wait to run it by the forum in case its a no no. Our trailer has the soft, white fuzzy wall treatments around so the oxidation really shows in places...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hi, Andy! Nope, don't want to "mickey mouse" it which should be evident from my hesitation to begin this repair for such a long time, and I have read back through all the posts: my reason for bumping it up at this time for others with similar problems to read. For many reasons, we are unwilling to take the insides down to bare interior aluminum and begin again, but we are seriously considering the "leather upholstery" look of the covered screws every foot or so in the ceiling or the application of additional holding strips run across the ceiling for support. I am hoping to hear from some who have taken this step if they will share how it is lasting. Thanks ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Hi Steph,

I used a mixture of Oxyclean and water and dabbed it on a bit and let it sit. I repeated the process as necessary and had pretty good luck lightening up a couple of spots almost to were you cannot notice them anymore. I deff. would not use bleach as the liner looks to be made of a poly fabric which will turn yellow if bleach is to come in contact with it. Oxyclean works excellent on H20 stains also in drapes ect..won't harm the color. Hope this helps Ann
Old 03-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #34
Craftsman

Since this has been a big problem in trailers of the 90's, what does Airstream do now that's different to keep this from happening to current models with the padded headliner?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #35
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Thanks Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Hi Steph,

I used a mixture of Oxyclean and water and dabbed it on a bit and let it sit. I repeated the process as necessary and had pretty good luck lightening up a couple of spots almost to were you cannot notice them anymore. I deff. would not use bleach as the liner looks to be made of a poly fabric which will turn yellow if bleach is to come in contact with it. Oxyclean works excellent on H20 stains also in drapes ect..won't harm the color. Hope this helps Ann
Thanks for your reply Ann. I will try the Oxyclean tomorrow! It's a bummer to spend hours cleaning a trailer and to see those smudges...ugh!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Craftsman

In the mid 90's, the Feds required many companies to switch to "water based" paints and adhesives.

We can all see the result of the cars that were painted with water based paints.

The ceiling problem that confronts some of the Airstream owners, is due to Airstream being compelled to use a "water based" adhesive. We all, unforunately, now know the results of it's use.

To compound the problem, if you attempt to put good adhesive on top of the water based material, it won't stay attached.

Therefore, the only "total" fix, is to strip the old adhesive off the walls, and replace the foam backed padding.

Or, I suppose, a person could put screws into the old padding, about every six inches or so, but then, thats what it will look like.

New type adhesives, don't have the water based problem.

Andy
Old 03-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Headliner Repair

There is another string started regarding this same issue. One member was even kind enough to start a poll. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=headliner
I'm still frustrated beyond words that AS will do nothing about this. I have correspondence from AS regarding this issue. They did offer assistance (though I'm not sure what it entailed) when they first found out about the problem. You would think they would do a recall as this is a HUGE problem.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .Therefore, the only "total" fix, is to strip the old adhesive off the walls, and replace the foam backed padding.

Or, I suppose, a person could put screws into the old padding, about every six inches or so, but then, thats what it will look like. . ."

I think it will look like a "look" that Airstream created in some trailers in the past. I believe I remember Kevin (Overlander64) showing some snaps of his interior which had padded side walls by his twins and also a custom padded ceiling. I remember thinking this was exceptionally good looking and would enjoy this effect in our Gypsy. Kevin, if I am correct in my recollection, would you post those pics again here for others with this falling headliner problem to see? THanks, ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Kevin, if I am correct in my recollection, would you post those pics again here for others with this falling headliner problem to see? THanks, ~G[/quote]

Georgia,

Did you look at the photo's that oglerb posted on page 1 of this string? Looks pretty nice......
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kevin, with your permission, I hope(!), I traced your ceiling picture to post #46 in Balrgn's thread named "Wall Cushions." If anyone with the droopy headliner is interested, look at this for the possibilities. Using the covered screws, we wouldn't get quite the same look, but this shows that "quiliting" has been used by Airstreams as a custom look on ceilings in the past. Our repairs, if carefully done, could connect to this vintage decor I think I'm ready to try. To manage the drooping material, I'll first reapply the vinyl foam to the aluminum and under the seam strips with adhesive. With it then up and in place, I'll graph out the placement of the screws and get to work. Ready, set. . . ! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #41
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Thumbs up Sounds like a plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Kevin, with your permission, I hope(!), I traced your ceiling picture to post #46 in Balrgn's thread named "Wall Cushions." If anyone with the droopy headliner is interested, look at this for the possibilities. Using the covered screws, we wouldn't get quite the same look, but this shows that "quiliting" has been used by Airstreams as a custom look on ceilings in the past. Our repairs, if carefully done, could connect to this vintage decor I think I'm ready to try. To manage the drooping material, I'll first reapply the vinyl foam to the aluminum and under the seam strips with adhesive. With it then up and in place, I'll graph out the placement of the screws and get to work. Ready, set. . . ! ~G
Looking forward to hearing your results, we'd like to fix ours too!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Did you look at the photo's that oglerb posted on page 1 of this string? Looks pretty nice......

FWright, yes, I did, and that is the look we will have. Thanks, Oglerb, for your excellent information! I wanted to confirm for my own satisfaction that Airstream had done something like this in the past to connect our repair with past tradition. Does that make me an Airstream purist or just someone very insecure in need of validation? ~G

WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU