Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
2008 16' International CCD
Silver Spring , Maryland
Question Removing Shower Curtain from 2008 International Bambi

The shower curtains inside the combination toilet/shower in my 2008 Bambi International have some mold spots and I'd like to remove the curtains for washing. The track for the curtain that covers the door is attached with screws, so no problem there, I've removed it. However, the track for the curtain that protects the window is attached with rivets and cannot be removed to slide out the plastic tabs (through which an elastic band passes and is sewn to the curtain). I see no way to remove the curtain without breaking the plastic tabs or cutting the elastic band. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a non-destructive way to remove this curtain? Thanks in advance!

Obelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think you are opening a can of worms. If the shower curtain is the single color (white) curtain, spray it with Clorox cleanup, the one with bleach. The bleach will kill the mold, and you won't have to spend the summer trying to figure out how to reassemble or replace the shower curtain.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
I've got a similar problem. I did get the one out over the door. The rail was held in by screws. The one over the window is the new problem. There is a screw at the end of the track. Got that out. Unfortunately, when the screw was put it, it crushed/mangled the track so that the glides won't come out. I'm not interested in keeping the curtain. I thought about cutting the elastics and I might do that. I like the idea of breaking the glides. If I ever do want the curtain, I can sew new glides on, though I'd probably just make a new curtain altogether.

Another option is to cut the elastics, leaving the glides. Then replace the elastics and sew them back on by hand while the curtain is up. Not a lot of fun. I couldn't think of a fastener small enough to go through the glide. If I could, I'd reattach the elastics with snaps.

But yes, I've spent some time wondering why Airstream installed shower curtains that you can't remove. Seriously, that's one thing that's definitely going to need cleaning and event replacement. I put that in my new owner survey.
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
2008 16' International CCD
Silver Spring , Maryland
I considered the same options you mentioned, but I decided to first try the Clorox with bleach spray. Fortunately, the curtains came out looking like new. However, if or when it comes to it, I'm pretty sure that the rivets for the door track can be removed and replaced with new ones. Or maybe even replaced with screws. I'm just happy that the simplest solution worked for my problem. Best of luck with your curtain challenge!
Obelus is offline   Reply With Quote