Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
removing overhead front assembly

I am in the process of getting my friend Jo Anne's Soverieign ready for a big interior remodel. She wants that big plastic overhead "dashboard thingy" out, and we will refinish all walls and ceiling with thin flexible plywood. Does anybody have advice on what is behind there and what I am in for here? Looks like lots of wiring- and trouble on the horizon. I figure plastic assembly removal is mostly a matter of drilling out rivets, lots and lots of rivets. Am I right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream rm1 020.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	83671  
Silverslug75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverslug75 View Post
I am in the process of getting my friend Jo Anne's Soverieign ready for a big interior remodel. She wants that big plastic overhead "dashboard thingy" out, and we will refinish all walls and ceiling with thin flexible plywood. Does anybody have advice on what is behind there and what I am in for here? Looks like lots of wiring- and trouble on the horizon. I figure plastic assembly removal is mostly a matter of drilling out rivets, lots and lots of rivets. Am I right?
Using plywood of any kind on the inside, instead of the metal, it will destroy the monocoque principle of construction, and fall apart.

If you put the plywood over the interior metal you would be OK.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
SilverSlug,

Take a look at what what under mine. Although mine didn't have all the bells and whistles that your's has, the wiring was still there.

Hope this helps. If you need anymore pictures of the interior, let me know. I've completely gutted my interior and have all of the interior skins removed.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Thanks, but the pictures aren't coming thru. Is it my computer blocking them or did something go wrong?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Using plywood of any kind on the inside, instead of the metal, it will destroy the monocoque principle of construction, and fall apart.

If you put the plywood over the interior metal you would be OK.

Andy
Hi Andy,
For the walls and ceiling we are just covering what seems to be the Masonite interior walls. The only spot that we want to remove is that front overhead dashboard above the windows and reframe with wooden skeleton and cover with 1/8 inch doorskin finish plywood. Does that sound possible or is it doomed to failure?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy,
For the walls and ceiling we are just covering what seems to be the Masonite interior walls. The only spot that we want to remove is that front overhead dashboard above the windows and reframe with wooden skeleton and cover with 1/8 inch doorskin finish plywood. Does that sound possible or is it doomed to failure?
The walls and ceiling is covered with aluminum that has a vinyl material bonded to ir.

As long as you leave the metal in place, you can add the wood, as you wish.

Please understand that an Airstream trailer, in motion, flexes and twists.

That may or may not have a negative effect on your wood paneling.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It sounds like you are talking about removing the "end cap". I am not 100% sure on 75s but the spherical construction of riveted panels that make up the ends of the exterior skin is self supporting and there are no ribs, stringers or other support members under it to attach a replacement inner skin.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Silverslug,

Here's what's behind ours (72 Sovereign) - basically nothing. I also did not want the dashboard, so I removed it. Unfortunitly, I cracked it big time in the process of removing it, and ending up cutting it in half the rest of the way to get it out. Be aware, the metal interior skins are all on top of the plastic dome piece, so getting it out in one piece without removing a bunch of interior skin panels, or at least a lot of the rivets that hold the interior skins around it, will be difficult. Yes, a lot of rivets hold in place, but they are all around the outside edge of the piece.

One big thing to note is that there are no ribs behind the plastic dome to attach metal or plywood too. I plan on using the rear dome piece as a mold to fabricate a new front dome out of fiberglass and epoxy resin. And then we'll cover the fiberglass with the same material we use to cover the interior metal (once we get to that point).

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	83699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	83700  

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post
SilverSlug,

Take a look at what what under mine. Although mine didn't have all the bells and whistles that your's has, the wiring was still there.

Hope this helps. If you need anymore pictures of the interior, let me know. I've completely gutted my interior and have all of the interior skins removed.

Let's see if this one works. It looks the same as the one above. Only some pink stuff and wires behind the end cap

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs down Sorry but

Quote:
Hi Andy,
I'd lay odds you are doomed to failure.
Cannot see how you will make door skin conform to compound curves and mate with surrounding sheets. Not to mention what you will anchor it too.

Life is way too short to undertake what you are describing. Sure anything is possible but man there are hundreds of better options than what you have planned.
Of course to each their own. Good luck.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
My end cap is so yellow it's odd looking. Are they all this way? It doesn't appear so. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to original color, or has anyone done anything without a total removal that works with the deco of the airstream? Don't say wallpaper please. My doors and everything are all functioning as they should, so I wanna keep it original. Paint?
Jabreyd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Paint is the answer.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Okay, here's another idea. What if I used a little hand held jigsaw and cut the fiberglass "dasboard" out leaving the upper dome-shaped part intact and still riveted to the walls and ceiling? Not removing the entire end cap panel. I could then make curved wooden ribs for the new doorskin dome to attach onto. These ribs could be attached to the original remaining fiberglass remnants top and bottom.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabreyd13 View Post
My end cap is so yellow it's odd looking. Are they all this way? It doesn't appear so. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to original color, or has anyone done anything without a total removal that works with the deco of the airstream? Don't say wallpaper please. My doors and everything are all functioning as they should, so I wanna keep it original. Paint?
What you want to do is search this forum for a concoction that uses hydrogen peroxide and some other ingredients, in order to naturally restore the original look of the yellowed plastic. From the pictures I've seen, it works beautifully.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
saint augustine , Florida
silverslug...i like where you are going with your idea of removing only the offending "dashboard" and leaving the restof the dome intact. i'll be doing to the same to my front end soon. please let me know what you have done. i'm thinking after the "hide-away" cubbys are gone i can mkae the whole front one smooth piece. i'm covering my interior with wood veneer.
greenRNtrav. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Double check on the end cap. I'm not sure but think that I have read on the forum that the end caps are actually made of ABS plastic, not fiberglass.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
The front cap is plastic; the rear bathroom cap is fiberglass...at least on mine.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Okay, I just cut out the non-dome shaped dashboard part of the endcap with a common handheld jigsaw and fine blade and it worked beautifully. I next will get some cardboard to make patterns for wooden ribs which will form a skeleton upon which to complete the dome shape for the end caps using the 1/8 inch doorskin plywood. I will take some pictures of the process for anyone who may be interested. I will save my patterns if this works, in case others want to try this.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vashon , Washington
Here is an example of what another forum member did, sorry but I lost the link of where I found this. This is so beautiful!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
that's picture is so small I can't see it.
Jabreyd13 is offline   Reply With Quote