Old 07-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pace
After reading these posts, I had never thought about old wiring. This is a scary thought. We have a 69 Overlander and had never thought about checking the condition of the wiring. Is there a way to check this without totally disassembling the walls?

Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
If you figure that out, let us know...but in the meantime I'll keep you in mind while we do this part, and I'll take a lot of pictures.

ingrid

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
i'll try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
Ingrid,
you might consider stripping the panels when they are removed. Getting the panels out of the shell and onto a work table in the well ventilated area would allow you to use Aircraft Stripper to your hearts content.
And save us money! Except; there's also a coat of paint...will that make it worth even doing? I have one panel off and I can try it on that. Off to a stripping thread....

i.

ingrid
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
wiring

Assuming your fixtures and appliances all work and you're not blowing fuses you're probably ok on the wiring. Your trailer may be like mine (1967) where aluminum wiring is used. Over time there is a possibility of corrosion on the wires where they are spliced to the fixture or copper wire. This corrosion builds resistance which builds heat. You can take off the light or outlet, unscrew the wire nut and check. Mine were all fine but I did clean them with fine grit paper, put on some dielectric goop (home depot) and then put a new wire nut on. Do a google on aluminum wiring and you'll find instructions on how to do an aluminum to copper pigtail for your fixtures and outlets. Easy to do.

Quote:
After reading these posts, I had never thought about old wiring. This is a scary thought. We have a 69 Overlander and had never thought about checking the condition of the wiring. Is there a way to check this without totally disassembling the walls?

Don Pace
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
No.

If you want a good indication of the general condition of the wires inside your walls, take a look at the wiring where it goes into the breaker box. Bend it & see if the outer insulation cracks. I will bet you will find it to be in good shape. If you want to exercise reasonable preventive maintenance, you may want replace your breakers - time does not always treat them well.

IMO, the only reason the wire inside your walls would go bad is if the factory did a poor job in installing the wire. The original owner would probably discover that within the first couple of years. The wiring itself can take the heat of its environment, but sharp edges are another thing.

But, let's say the plastic chafing insert the wire is usually run through breaks away. Over time the wire's insulation will be gnawed by the aluminum support. And let's say the hot wire is gnawed first. More than likely, it will pop the breaker. You know you have a problem because you replace the breaker, and the new one pops too.

But let's say it is just a tiny nick through the two sets of wire insulation, just enough for a slow sizzle. What is going to burn? Aluminum skins and fiberglas insulation will not burn in a fire that small. Within seconds, the small sizzle will melt enough insulation to become a bonafide short, and the breaker, assuming time has treated it well, will pop.

By no means am I telling anyone to NOT inspect their wiring. My intent is just to remind you of the wiring's environment.

Tom
Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Tom

Great info - on my 58, the wiring covering - kinda like a cloth material that encases the wires looks really bad - but when I took the skin off, the wiring looks perfect.

I was surprised to see wire just put together with wire nuts - the crimped perment kind and not put in any boxes - and the outlets are not in boxes either - guess all that stuff was not very important back in 1958

So in my case, I'm not going to rewire anything, just get some of that plastic covering to put over the wires where they come out of the skin to protect them from nicking.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
And save us money! Except; there's also a coat of paint...will that make it worth even doing? I have one panel off and I can try it on that. Off to a stripping thread...
The Aircraft Stripper should go though both the paint and vinyl. Pretty mean stuff. Post pics!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
I have gutted my 68 tradewind 24', but did not brace it. I was un-aware that we had to do this, as it did not come up in any other threads i have read. I have everything out of the interior, all the panels are off, pvc and copper pipes removed, water heater, furnace, etc... I had begun to move on to the belly pan, but after reading this i am affraid. Should i get to bracing right away? If so, where do i brace it.I'll attatch a few pics if what i have now...

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
OK...here's the thing

Husband says the wires are bad all over. But what do I know? . If we can avoid tearing out panels, and if I can convince him to leave them in, I'd just as soon tear out the one where the wires were cut close and just replace that.

Here are pictures. The wiring doesn't look all that bad to me...the one I'm holding he says the end is burned from heat and was just hanging loose.

he's really a nice guy, my husband. He's just STUBBORN; I'd sure hate to tear out anything if I don't have to.

Any opinions would be appreciated, and I won't take it as official, just input...I know electrical is one of those things you don't mess with if you don't really really know what you're doing...but...I think he might be overreacting. But if he insists, I'll keep my mouth shut and let him do what he thinks is right, ultimately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	7696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	7697  

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	7698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	7699  

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	7700  

ingrid
Old 07-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The one in your hand doesn't look bad, the 2 black wires in the picture below look like they are covered with adhesive and insulation, no overheating, insulation peeling and cracking, or anything I would tear skins off to replace. JMHO.

John
Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I sort of wished you'd said "Oh my GOODNESS get them out pronto" so I can avoid the argument with Mr. FixIt but I think you're right. The one that's cut flush up against the panel does have to be replaced and that's the one we tore out. I'm not looking forward to this but we could save SO MUCH money if we didn't tear out the panels, just did the aluminum veneer.

More HO's please, everyone?

ingrid
Old 07-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Get them out pronto or you will be electrifried.

Now you will have a peaceful evening

John
Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Unless there's something I can't see, they aren't burned. They are corroded. Look very closely at the wires. Is the metal black, but the white plastic insulation on the negative wire still whitish? Then it's not burned. If the insulation is melted, truly melted, then there was a fire. that one in your hand is NOT burned, scorched or melted. It is in fact in pretty good shape, just black from dirt of almost 40 years. Wires look like that in my camper too, and there was not a fire in it. Emery cloth will get the corrosion off, and it's only on the places exposed to air. BTW, if your husband is an electrician, ignore this post!

I hate to say this, but slow down. take a breather from ripping stuff apart. Clean up and take stock of what you have that is salvagable, and wipe some grime off of the camper. Sweep out the dust. It'll brighten your surfaces and your day. Then, start making a list. Go around and catalogue what needs to be done. If in doubt, post a picture.

BTW, are you going original restoration, or just renovating with your own design?

John
Old 07-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Now you will have a peaceful evening
John
sigh. everyone's a comedian..

ingrid
Old 07-12-2004, 04:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
On a happier note, what color curtains are you going to put up?

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote