Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
denver , Colorado
Removing carpeted wall finish from Bambi

does anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience with removing the carpeted wall covering on an 04' Bambi? I really like the look of the brushed aluminum on the interior as opposed to the carpet look, but not sure what i will encounter when I remove it? also, not sure if there is a particular process for doing so? Thanks gang.

airscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The trailers with the shiny interior use the same factory coated ALCOA aluminum as on the outside of the trailer. When you remove the carpet, you are going to find an bare, lower-grade aluminum that doesn't look very good and will never polish up like the shiny interiors.

Also, without the carpet, the trailer will be colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. That carpet makes a lot of difference in insulation.

You can pull off the carpet fairly easily, but underneath you will find a lot of spray adhesive. I peeled back the carpet to pop out a dent in mine.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
Hi Airscott -

We have a 2003 safari with the carpet walls. We have pulled back the carpet from about a 1/3 of the wall so far and it was easy to do. There is adhesive underneath which you can choose to clean off or not. We found a green adhesive remover which isn't toxic and doesn't smell called "soy it" and it works great. Pahaska is right that the grade of alum. underneath isn't as nice so I don't think we are going to leave it bare. We are considering putting a no VOC wall covering on it possibly with a membrane between. The aluminum bleeds through and there were several spots on the carpet that were darkened by this. We assume the same thing could happen with a wall covering even the thicker kind we are considering. You can check out our progress on our website. Good luck.
Brenda and Cece
2003 25' Airstream Safari
Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote