Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Remodeling Floor Plan Ideas

I am a recent and PROUD owner of a 1978 Sovereign International Land Yacht 31' Airstream. We are tearing all the interior out and starting fresh. I have been looking around for ideas and how others have remodeled theirs but I want some that are designed around this type of airstream. Can anyone give me some pic, suggestions, ideas, floor plans etc?
Roskarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
St. Louis , Missouri
Congrats on your Airstream...I have just recently purchased a Caravel and I am absolutely of no help to you, except to congratulate you...
sterlingpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Google:
floorplan airstream Land Yacht 31'
or
airstream interior arrangement 31' etc. etc.
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It will make a difference if it is for just 2 or a family? I change my 28 footer. Put a dinette and bunks in for the kids. still in progress and can be seen here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f327...dor-44644.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

1978 31' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thank you Sterlingpod, and congrats to you too.
Cruiser54- thank you too I will check that out, I feel like I have googled everything
Purman- It will be just for me and my husband, we were thinking about putting hooks to put about two hanging hammocks somewhere or making the couches in the living room area turn into beds for additional vistors.
Roskarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Roskarin,

Welcome!

We have gutted our '72 31' Sovereign (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html), and we debated floor plans back and forth for quite awhile. We finally decided not to move the rear bath to a middle bath, mostly due to the windows and hatch covers. We just couldn't make it all work the way we wanted.

This is the floor plan we’re working off of. Major changes from the original are:
- we removed the two wardrobes between the beds and the bath
- we changed from twin beds to one short full size bed
- we lengthened the galley a bit towards the rear

We still have a few things up in the air, like if we’ll have a dinette or table and chairs, a sofa or two recliners, and the exact location of the tub/shower. But it’ll give you a general idea of what we’re aiming for.

It’ll be strictly a two person trailer for sleeping as this is our retirement trailer.

Hope this helps give you some ideas!

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf little girl floor 2a.pdf (37.7 KB, 538 views)
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I have a center bath 31' Sovereign. I've removed all the living area built-ins and the twin rear bed built-ins. I'm leaning towards free standing furniture in the living area with no table at first. Probably a sleeper sofa and a recliner. I'll make built-ins as needed. For the sleeping area I plan to install one standard double size bed on a storage pedestal. I'll make a set in, lift off, bedside table to cover the water shutoff.

I'm leaving the bathroom alone. Everything's good and working. I think I'll initially leave the closet wall and the refrigerator side cabinets as they are. Everything works and is in decent shape. I don't have much to gain by moving that stuff.

There's way more storage in this thing than I need. I'm a motorcycle camper. I've taken three week trips with just my riding gear, one extra pair of jeans, 4 extra t-shirts, and a week's worth of socks and silk boxers. I don't call Airstreaming "camping", not by a long shot.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I have the same trailer. Tons of ideas out there. I did a lot of "airstream rennovation" searches to get some ideas. For me, I'm keeping the general layout. Twin beds in the back are getting replaced with a full-size single and the L-lounge guacho is probably becoming a single sleeper.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Question Changing the interior around

We purchased a 2005 Classic and it has a dinette . This doesn't suit our needs and we would perfer using the fold up table to eat and add additional cabinets and counter space in place of the dinette . We noticed one with what we believe we would like . Does Air Stream sell the cabinets or does one hire a cabinet maker to build them in place ?
Don
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote