Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Olympia , Washington
Question Remodel / Rearrange - Am I crazy?

I have a 74 Landyacht with a single bunk bed. Long story short: I bought it to live in while I finish school, and possibly beyond...I have zero carpentry or mechanics skills, so this will be a huge learning experience for me!

I'd really like to tear out the rear bathroom and put in a double or queen in the rear ASAP. This whole tiny twin bunk thing is not working for me. In the short-term, I'm not concerned about replacing the bathroom because I have access to the bathroom in the main house of where I'm parked (though eventually I'd like to put in a "green" bathroom with a composting toilet).

I'd have the bed raised so that I can have storage access underneath, and I'd like to have it walled off with a pocket door (partially for privacy and partially because I have a dog who does not play well with others and I want a place where I can safely put him when I have visitors!).

My questions are:
-Is this a feasible plan, given the layout of plumbing, etc?
-Any advice on how to do this while I'm living on it? In a perfect world, I'd just be able to gut it and start anew, but that ain't gonna happen, so...
-Best practices on ripping fixtures, etc. out? Or resources you can point me to?
-I'm assuming building the bed frame will actually be fairly simple, with some 2x4s - thoughts?
-And advice on how to do this very, very cheaply. I'm a very broke student at the moment.

Thanks!
Erin

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Erin, short answer is yes you are crazy. LOL.
It takes a lot of skills, money and effort to do what you are thinking about.
Many have thought about moving the bedroom to the rear and relocating the bathroom and found it too much work to do. Wiring, plumbing both fresh water and drain pipes need relocating and windows are not in the right spot to do such a thing. There are also appliances like the water heater and the power converter which must also be moved.

Not to mention you will be drastically reducing the value of your trailer with a gut and cheap job using 2x4"s and plywood.

My advice is to leave it alone and try to make the layout work for you.
what about putting a temporary board between the two bunks and creating a double bed from that? That way you have the bigger bed and keep the trailer intact.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Erin, I agree with wasagachris. Fill in between the two beds to make a king, I have seen this done and it would be much better than tearing out your bathroom!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Olympia , Washington
Sadly, there are no two beds - this is a single twin bunk. I really, really don't want to have to crawl over a bed to get to the bath. Also, I plan to convert the toilet to compostable, so I won't need a black water tank anyway.

I'm going to Evergreen State College, which has a whole environmental studies/sustainability studies program, so a friend of mine brilliantly suggested that I pitch a green/sustainable remodel to some of the professors there as a project. I'd still pay for materials, but I'm pretty into salvaged/reclaimed/etc. options, and having several folks involved would help resource-wise. So I think I'm going to go that route and see if anything manifests.

Also: I bought this for only $1500, and I think even if someone didn't like what I'd done to it and wanted to start over themselves, it'd still be worth about that...as much as I love the lines of the Airstream, I have no great fondness for the 70s laminate that's everywhere, y'know? I'm going down the remodel-not-restore path, which I'm sure some purists would disagree with.

I do still have my heart set on bed in back (partially because of the larger sleeping area, partially because I have a crazy dog - really - and it would be a great way to have a secure place to put him while I have company).

Also, what I lack in skills/money, I make up for with an abundance of stubbornness!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Keep this in mind

These trailer were all built to a specific floor loading and weight distribution design for handling characteristics and towability. If you gut it and move things all around you may just take an easy to tow balanced trailer and turn it into something very dangerous to pull. In addition to the things others have posted here you need to keep this in mind. Lots of items in your trailer are vented behind the walls. These vests are necessary for removal of lp gas fumes and black tank fumes to list a few. You will be creating more holes in your roof and patching the extisting ones if you do move vents! This also gives more chances for leaks that can seriously damage the floor structure of the trailer. Unless you are an engineer with trailer design experience I would suggest you seek out an RV technician before destroying your trailer. Just my two cents worth. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinld View Post
Sadly, there are no two beds - this is a single twin bunk. I really, really don't want to have to crawl over a bed to get to the bath. Also, I plan to convert the toilet to compostable, so I won't need a black water tank anyway.

I'm going to Evergreen State College, which has a whole environmental studies/sustainability studies program, so a friend of mine brilliantly suggested that I pitch a green/sustainable remodel to some of the professors there as a project. I'd still pay for materials, but I'm pretty into salvaged/reclaimed/etc. options, and having several folks involved would help resource-wise. So I think I'm going to go that route and see if anything manifests.

Also: I bought this for only $1500, and I think even if someone didn't like what I'd done to it and wanted to start over themselves, it'd still be worth about that...as much as I love the lines of the Airstream, I have no great fondness for the 70s laminate that's everywhere, y'know? I'm going down the remodel-not-restore path, which I'm sure some purists would disagree with.

I do still have my heart set on bed in back (partially because of the larger sleeping area, partially because I have a crazy dog - really - and it would be a great way to have a secure place to put him while I have company).

Also, what I lack in skills/money, I make up for with an abundance of stubbornness!
That trailer was available with a double bed from the factory. It's very possible you have a double already, and don't know it. Letting us know what the serial number of your trailer is, or a photo of the bedroom area, can tell a lot. If yours has a double already, it will look kind of like a big twin bunk, it would fold out to make a double bed. Even if you alter that to fit a "normal" double bed, you would still be able to squeeze by it to go to the back.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Directly from the assylum,I can't find a crayon font, I can attest to the great challenge as I am doing exactly what everyone has recommended against!
I have already hit my budget and I'm not halfway home yet but it is looking killer so far.
You may look at something like a Murphy bed in the current location. I believe a horitontal set up will fit but may have to be 10" + off the wall.
You would keep everything else intact and still have a place for Killer to be sectioned off and he can still drink out of the toilet.
Guest would be on their own for a potty run, though.
The only way you could live in a project is if you sleep up in the front as there is no way around the mess & clean up everyday.
I do have a portable toilet from Walmart that has worked out better than I suspected and meets my wife's approval, somehow.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Composting toilets are great, but you will still need a black tank and a vent, unless you plan to empty it every three days or so. Be sure to read the specs. Plus, they usually cost more than your trailer. Plus, ripping out a very environmentally-friendly rv bathroom and replacing with another is not actually environmentally-friendly. Your existing toilet already uses very little water, and it is possible to compost the contents of a black tank. If you really want o be environmentally friendly, make do with what you have. Are you planning to make the trailer a permanent fixture in the yard there where you have the main house bathroom? If you rip out the airstream bathroom you are increasing the chances that it will later be scrapped, as many kind of modifications will result in it being untowable. Is this really about being environmentally friendly? If you are not planning to use the bathroom at all, why not just close the door and put a bed in front of it? Adding a door to lock your dog up is certainly possible. I am assuming you do not want to crate him or lock him in the bathroom? You really can fit a larger bed in the space you have your twin.

Tags
remodel, sleeping area, land yacht