Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Recliners? Point me in the right direction

Part of this winters work is to upgrade the front of the trailer. The original gaucho is out and I'd like to find a pair of recliners that will fit through the door, stand up well, be comfortable and hopefully wont break the bank. Any suggestions including online sources would be great. Thanks in advance.

Help me fill up this space <points down>

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This one is a Villa. About $700 a year ago. It's the one Airstream uses in their longer trailers. I bought direct from Villa and had it installed at Airstream (along with other work).

Airstream included the floor cleat they use on the longer trailers so or locks down for travel but can be moved when at a campsite.

Name:   image-735481842.jpg
Views: 3076
Size:  46.7 KB

There's lots of options. This is just one. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We also use the Villa Lift recliners, same as Airstream now uses. Some recliners will be too short for the windows of the Airstream, these are just right. The built-in retractable leg rest replaces ottomans which will be in the way. And they swivel as well as recline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	228139  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Cool. Thanks for both replies. I had come across this site: Recliners, Glastop RV Seating in my internet searching. They also have flexsteel and lambright as well as the villa chairs. Price isn't so great though, they all seem to be 700 and over per chair. Maybe they are worth it, but I would sure like to find something a bit cheaper if possible. We aren't living in this thing full time, so I don't know if top of the line is really warranted.

I think one of the things I'll do today is swing by lazyboy and some other retail furniture outlets and see what if anything they have that might work. For sure it has to be able to fit through the 26" wide doorway of the trailer or its a no go.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We bought our LAM-100 recliner from Glastop and I love it. It comes in 2 pieces so it is easy to get into the door. I'm 6"1'and I have plenty of room. We did not attach it to the floor but it does not move when traveling.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	228177  
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
We stopped by Lazyboy as well as Havertys and looked at what they had. Lazyboy was definitely the better of the two, they had several chairs that would probably work. They had two with leather that looked like the Villa chairs above, one with exposed wooden arm supports and one with metal. Very comfortable and priced like the Villa chairs too. They did have a couple of fully upholstered smaller chairs as well, one as a rocker, one not. Those could be used, they werent too wide and the backs come off making them easy enough to get through the door.

Here is one of the chairs we saw, very comfortable too:

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 12-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Almost any recliner will go through the door. I have seen people buy them at a furniture store and put them in the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Corner Brook , Newfoundland
Hi, That is what we are looking for, for our 1990 Excella. Took out the fold down and going to replace with two recliners. What we are looking at is Wallaway recliners as take up less space. Wayfair.com has good prices you may want to check out.

Harvey
Iys.Da.Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Almost any recliner will go through the door. I have seen people buy them at a furniture store and put them in the trailer.

That's good to know, though I would try and keep it on the smaller side so it doesn't overwhelm the space in front. I have a small evaporative fridge that I may build into a console and place in-between the chairs.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 12-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The La-Z-Boy recliners are usually smaller scale. All of them come without the back attached, but if the back is attached put it in the recline position and shove it through sideways.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
We have used the "Harbor Town" recliner by Lazyboy in our trailer, and several other of our friends have also. They are great recliners and perfect for the Airstream. We had the swivel bases put on ours. Available in a variety of fabrics and leather…You will not be disappointed. Visit a Lazyboy gallery store and try them out…very reasonably pricedRockwell
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harbor Town Lazyboy.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	228249  
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
We have used the "Harbor Town" recliner by Lazyboy in our trailer, and several other of our friends have also. They are great recliners and perfect for the Airstream. We had the swivel bases put on ours. Available in a variety of fabrics and leather…You will not be disappointed. Visit a Lazyboy gallery store and try them out…very reasonably priced
Rockwell

That looks very similar to the one we saw Sunday. Nice size too, it doesnt dwarf the available space. And its comfortable. But it isnt cheap. Nothing nice ever is.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just a word of caution - the Villa recliners you're looking at are in a wide body Airstream. You wouldn't think six inches less would make all that much difference (redacted pun about size matters) but it could make your narrower space look super crowded. OTOH, a loveseat sized recliner for two might work just fine.

And... if you're worried about giving up sleeping space... ever see anyone zonk out in a recliner? Most people can get reasonably good sleep in one.

Paula
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
We purchased our recliners from Lazyboy and they work just fine. They're not bolted and have never shifted. We measured the distance between the walls and bought the size most appropriate. We placed a table between the chairs and added a floor lamp that has a goose neck...perfect for reading. Our chairs are fabric and cost about 800.00 or so for both. We are very pleased and would do it again.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Wife and I went out again today to survey recliners and honestly didn't find any at lazyboy or anywhere else that we really liked for a price that was reasonable. Online there seem to be just a couple of places that sell smaller recliners suitable to RV's. Brad and Hall , Coach Supply Direct and Glastop all carry the Lambright recliners and have a model called the Lazy Relaxor Swivel Wall Hugger Recliner. With the Softec/Halo leather they run about 700 plus shipping. They can be had with a swing away table for 85 and can have the wood arms finished in a natural cherry that should match the new cherry woodwork very nicely. Lambright is an Amish company that seems to have a real good reputation for quality. I wish I could sit in one before plunking down the money but both dealers offer a 30 day money back (including shipping) guarantee. I may make some calls this week to see what if any discounts might be available and what the time frame would be to make and ship them here. Here are a couple of photos from their sites showing the chairs in question:

If anybody has experience with these chairs or with one of the online dealers, I'd love to hear about it.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 02-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vermilion , Ohio
We drove out to the Lambright factory to try the chair before we bought one. Tried it out and ended up buying one. We bought the smallest model they sell, and for its size we find it extreamly comfortable. I would buy another one in a second. It fits perfectly in our 29' airstream in front of the couch. It has big chair comfort in a small package.
Mike
Miko38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Only thing I can suggest is sit in them if you can for an hour or so, read a book etc. My wife and I have added recliners to three RVs in the past and did this with the last two, it helped a lot. we also sought out only wall huggers in an effort to save space. Last ones were both Lazy Boys. In our 2015 now we got them from the factory, installed instead of the couch, they are ok, not great but ok.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just had two Lambright non wall hugger delivered to our home for use in home. Love them. Now if I could figure out how to fit two more in my bambi
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Wife and I went out again today to survey recliners and honestly didn't find any at lazyboy or anywhere else that we really liked for a price that was reasonable. Online there seem to be just a couple of places that sell smaller recliners suitable to RV's. Brad and Hall , Coach Supply Direct and Glastop all carry the Lambright recliners and have a model called the Lazy Relaxor Swivel Wall Hugger Recliner. With the Softec/Halo leather they run about 700 plus shipping. They can be had with a swing away table for 85 and can have the wood arms finished in a natural cherry that should match the new cherry woodwork very nicely. Lambright is an Amish company that seems to have a real good reputation for quality. I wish I could sit in one before plunking down the money but both dealers offer a 30 day money back (including shipping) guarantee. I may make some calls this week to see what if any discounts might be available and what the time frame would be to make and ship them here. Here are a couple of photos from their sites showing the chairs in question:

If anybody has experience with these chairs or with one of the online dealers, I'd love to hear about it.

I've used the Lambright recliners in 4 Airstream renovations. (2 for customers, and 2 for my wife and I) They are built very well, and are very comfortable. They are easy to secure to the floor. The ones we use are covered in the "Ultra Leather", very easy to clean and durable.
The Lambright family are great people, and good to deal with...

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
I've used the Lambright recliners in 4 Airstream renovations. (2 for customers, and 2 for my wife and I) They are built very well, and are very comfortable. They are easy to secure to the floor. The ones we use are covered in the "Ultra Leather", very easy to clean and durable.
The Lambright family are great people, and good to deal with...

Larry C
Thanks Larry, that's the kind of feedback I like to hear. Buying furniture without your butt touching it is a hard thing to do. This may be the way we go. For sure a pair of these chairs will be one of the most expensive things we put in the trailer but I think they will be well worth it in the long run.

Ongoing adventures at: