Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Recliners or Couch

Have the 30 ft Flying Cloud on order set for a January ship date; however, still need to decide on the Expresso Recliciners to match the Mica counters or select the standard ultra leather couch for napping, guests, and or yellow lab. Appreciate any suggestions.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Lay back the recliner to nap, guests at the dinette, dog on the floor. Those are nice recliners, we just pulled the front dinette/lounge and put two in our FC 25, really comfortable. Will add center console and folding table from FC 30 in a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	196958  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
Recliners

We like the recliners much better. Also took out the side lounge. Now have place for microwave and DVR. DW uses the side table for sewing. Small table between recliners is large enough for dining.

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	196964

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	196965
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
We have the fold-down "couch" in our 2001. While I'm sure they have made headway in the comfort dept over the years (our is as uncomfortable as a couch could ever be!) We've been debating the switch to a couple recliners instead.
Downside being, the loss of that precious storage space underneath and in the end caps.
Decisions, decisions........
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Now that I've started to use mine on a full time basis rather than weekends here and there, I definitely want to replace the couch with two recliners. I'll lose a fair amount of storage under, behind and beside the couch, but the comfort factor will be worth it... I hope

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
I would definitely get the recliners. My trailer was converted by the PO. It is one reason I bought the trailer. I had other SOB's with the rear living to know that I wanted the recliners.

After some use most people realize the dinette is not comfortable, except to eat a meal. I understand the couch is only slightly better.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
We have the bench in our International 30 and I would say it is one of the MOST uncomfortable things I have sat upon ... Including a fence rail. I'm hoping we can put a couple of leather chairs instead, but wifelet wants to either keep the bench or get an rv couch.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have the original sofa in our Classic 30. It seems high for us - we are both quite short. Not terribly comfortable, but ok when I use small coffee tables as footrests!

The tables are just made from inexpensive wooden folding tv tables with the legs cut down and pivot point moved to bring the table to coffee-table height and they have turned out to be very handy.

I think as long as the sofa is in good shape, we'll just keep it. it does also offer the advantage of having the extra bed if any of our grandkids want to come along. Also I would be sorry to lose the large storage drawer.

If we were needing to replace the sofa however, I would seriously consider going to recliners from a comfort standpoint.

I would need to relocate the converter which is under the left side of the sofa in our trailer - maybe move it to a cabinet/table that I could make to go between the chairs - I assume that is what most folk do?

To do this however, I would want to find some slightly smaller sized recliners than normal house versions. Not sure if such a thing exists, maybe them make them for RV's specifically?

When I have seen pictures of recliners in an airstream, they certainly look comfy (like the huge one I am sitting in right now in our family room!) but to my eyes, often look disproportionally large and out of place when shoe-horned into the front of the trailer.

Maybe it is only me that thinks that way - but I wouldn't be totally happy with that look!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
When I have seen pictures of recliners in an airstream, they certainly look comfy (like the huge one I am sitting in right now in our family room!) but to my eyes, often look disproportionally large and out of place when shoe-horned into the front of the trailer.

Maybe it is only me that thinks that way - but I wouldn't be totally happy with that look!

Brian
These late model 30' Airstream recliners actually fit quite nicely, even in our 25'. They are larger and higher than the Ekornes euro recliners we have at home. We tried them, they were disproportionally too small. They also have room to swivel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	202408  

Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
These late model 30' Airstream recliners actually fit quite nicely, even in our 25'. They are larger and higher than the Ekornes euro recliners we have at home. We tried them, they were disproportionally too small. They also have room to swivel.

Doug,

Those do indeed look very nice in place and that is just the type of thing I would want if I made the switch.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
Doug,

Where did you find your late model 30' recliners? I drove around a half day and stopped at places such as Lay-z-boy, and no places carried in stock Euro Type recliners - like what you have. Also do you regret not having a "wall hugging" recliner? Granted your swivel, but how much space behind your recliner do you need to lay it back? The one thing I like about the swivel- especially in the Eddie Bauer- is that I can look at the back hatch.

Also what did you do for the couch? I like this idea a lot, and with the Eddie Bauer we can still use the floor posts for a smaller center table.

Thanks,
Jason
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
Doug,

Where did you find your late model 30' recliners? I drove around a half day and stopped at places such as Lay-z-boy, and no places carried in stock Euro Type recliners - like what you have. Also do you regret not having a "wall hugging" recliner? Granted your swivel, but how much space behind your recliner do you need to lay it back? The one thing I like about the swivel- especially in the Eddie Bauer- is that I can look at the back hatch.

Also what did you do for the couch? I like this idea a lot, and with the Eddie Bauer we can still use the floor posts for a smaller center table.

Thanks,
Jason
We bought the recliners from Villa International. They are called Villa Recliner, about $750 each plus about $50 shipping. Four color choices, ours are Taupe which is a light tan. Google Villa Recliner, I think some others may sell them as well. Same ones Airstream uses, they are large recliners to fit the space and higher than most to see out the windows at the right level. Very high quality, steel frames, leather seating surfaces, leg rest folds under with a lever on the side and back reclines with lever on other side, the attached head pillow flips over the back if you want.

They have a series of little nylon feet all around the base that grip the floor somewhat, has held them in place when traveling, and easy to pull the recliner ahead to recline fully to nap. We've been using them for over 3 months full time and they are terrific.

I pulled out the dinette and all the lounge seating, everything, and stored it to put in a folding side table and storage cabinet. Essentially makes it a trailer-for-two which is what the 25/27's really amount to anyway. The EB is a different seating setup, looks like it unbolts as needed. You can experiment with the space. Kindly keep us all posted, we were considering the EB with this in mind as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Ouray , Colorado
Thanks Doug for the quick reply. That prices point is actually a good price for high end chairs. Can you post a pic of your side cabinet install when you have a chance? My wife is already asking me - where do we put the pack and play for the baby :-)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
Thanks Doug for the quick reply. That prices point is actually a good price for high end chairs. Can you post a pic of your side cabinet install when you have a chance? My wife is already asking me - where do we put the pack and play for the baby :-)
Our side lounge was different because this is a front dinette model, furnace is opposite the sink, inverter is there, and a shorter lounge to accommodate a larger bath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	203230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	203231  

Name:	IMG_5721.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	203232  

Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
AlaskaSafari

1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our side lounge was different because this is a front dinette model, furnace is opposite the sink, inverter is there, and a shorter lounge to accommodate a larger bath.
That looks fantastic... it reeeaaally makes me want to pull the couch out of mine.

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment... ~ Thoreau
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
AARGGH! I was hoping to not be tempted into doing this BIG mod to my 28' Intl Sig, but Doug's photo is the last straw. I have the VERY uncomfortable (but quite attractive) L seat sofa. My biggest issue that under the shorter "L" leg is my breaker panel, my water heater, subwoofer and inverter. While I can move the subwoofer and inverter, the other "stuff" is permanently fixed. Curious as to whether anyone else with my floor plan has done this. If not, I may be the first to give it a shot. Even my basset hounds don't much like the L seat, and I know they'd LOVE those great lounge chairs....because they love the la-z-boys at home.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Ouray , Colorado
We have the 27' FB Eddie Bauer, and are ready to get rid of all 3 couches. Just too uncomfortable for fulltime or long periods of time. I would highly recommend this thread to anyone :-)

So in doing our homework, we wanted:
- Wall Hugger Recliner. This slides forward and only needs 2.5 inches of clearance to lay back
- 26 inches. Comfortable without out being to small or too big
- Swivel. We want to be able to rotate and look out the back hatch / door

We kept coming back to the Lambright Comfort Chairs that meet the above requirements. We called the manufacturer today to ask questions... for example, they also make a 24" wide one. While this would be great for the 5' wife, I rather sacrifice the space and go with 2 of the 27" versions.

They are sending a color sample, however we are leaning towards a color like Doug's. Also getting the side tables. The sales rep at Lambright (Vernon) is even sending us color samples for free. The turn around time is 3 weeks once you order.

Lambright Comfort Chairs | Lazy Relax-r Swivel Wall Hugger Recliner LRSWHR-T26

Lambright Comfort Chairs
Lazy Relax-r Swivel Wall Hugger Recliner LRSWHR-T26

Outside Dimensions:
• 26”w x 42”h x 26”d
Seat Height: 18"
Seat Width: 20"
Seat Depth: 19.5"
Outside Lever is standard (optional electric control shown.)
Optional Laptop Computer Table
comes in beautiful Cherry or Oak
wood. Easily removable and foldable.
17”w x 13”d
• Available in fabric, Ultraleather or leather upholstery
• Wood arms available in Cherry or Oak finished in natural, medium or dark stains.
• From the back of the seat to the tip of the kickout is 42”
• Only needs to be set 3” away from the wall!

Lambright Comfort Chairs.
Address: 1150 S 700 W. City: Topeka. Zip: 46571.
Phone: (260) 768-4820
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

I have the 2010 30' Flying Cloud with recliners and I love them. People who come to visit always ask about a couch, but I like being able to swivel and put my feet up and recline. Works fine for foot massages, too.
boomlasec is offline   Reply With Quote