Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Brandon , Florida
Thumbs up Recliner Project

After encouragement from reading all the posts here, I decided to replace our couch with two recliners and replace the converter at the same time. I thought it would also be a learning experience to figure out how to post some pictures on airforums. I previously replaced the carpets in the living area with laminate so when I pulled out the couch the laminate stopped at the end of the couch and there was bare wood under the couch.

Took out of old converter and purchased a new 3 stage Progressive Dynamics 9265 converter. I couldn't find the same laminate I used previously so I decided to cover the couch area with carpet.

My wife and I began to look for recliners and ended up at Ikea and bought two recliners that were only $150 each. They are very comfortable and we plan to put wicker baskets under each chair for additional storage. I need to move the battery to the left a little so I cut off the old plastic battery box and will end up building a wood box around the converter and a new battery box. We have a 25' so space is a premium and each recliner is only 26" wide.

Hopefully the pictures I have taken will upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-8.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	156279   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	156280  

Name:	photo-6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	156281   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	156282  

Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
nice

Very nice. We did a similar project and ended up putting the batterys out front in the storage box. (actually they were already there from a previous mod by the po) but we decided to leave them there for the space. Put the 9260 inside on the floor between the recliners. Covered it with a wooden basket from World Market. Enjoy and keep us posted!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Brandon , Florida
I finished the remodeling. Thought I would put in some updated pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	158003  
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Nice job!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Very nice...what do you have hidden beneath the box? Love the brown leather!

WBCCI 3805
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Brandon , Florida
Brown Box

The wooden box covers the battery which is in a plastic battery box and the new converter. The back of the box vents out of the trailer using the same opening as the old battery. The wooden box is covered in 12" vinyl floor titles from Lowes. I also made a cover of the same material for the storage to the left of the picture. We also purchased four wicker storage boxes from Ikea which fit under the chairs. Two wicker boxes under each chair. They are exactly the width of the chair frame. Due to the size of the two chairs we are still able to open both the dining room table and the small table on the right side of the picture.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Tiles on the Box

Very clever covering the box with the tiles. They look great. We also hid our converter under a box. Box has plenty of ventilation for the converter. Batteries are out front in a storage box. We had ripped out the old carpet, got rid of a sofa (not original) and put in flooring and recliners. Here are a few pics. Not the best pics, light washed out a few. But we seem to have had similar ideas! Skye was having a ball with fabrics and the walls...

Worst thing I did was stick that little blinking LED for the converter directly in the line of sight from the bedroom. Dang that thing can be bright at night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	158047   Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	158048  

Name:	P1040054.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	158049   Click image for larger version

Name:	beds forward.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	158050  

Name:	fwd to aft.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	158051  

WBCCI 3805
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Brandon , Florida
Chuck and Skye,
Beautiful job on the wood floor. Your chairs look great. I still work so we only use our Airstream for a month in the summer. The Ikea chairs we chose were very comfortable for the cost. Yours look great, we'll have to save our pennies. I put the blinking light inside the box. The lid just lifts off so I can get to the battery. I can just tilt it up to check the converter.

I must say, the couch was extremely uncomfortable and the chairs are a great improvement. The couch was ok for me since I would take 2/3's of it, but felt bad for my spouse who only got 1/3.

Your Airstream looks great.

Gene
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Nice work on both these Airstreams. The one thing I wish we had in ours is a set of recliners. Thanks for showing us and others ways it can be done.

doug k
Old 05-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Very clever covering the box with the tiles. They look great. We also hid our converter under a box. Box has plenty of ventilation for the converter. Batteries are out front in a storage box. We had ripped out the old carpet, got rid of a sofa (not original) and put in flooring and recliners. Here are a few pics. Not the best pics, light washed out a few. But we seem to have had similar ideas! Skye was having a ball with fabrics and the walls...
Very nice! Beautiful interior.

Where did you get the recliners? I will be in the market for a new one. The Lane recliner I have in my Excella is junk. The vinyl trim on the arms is peeling off to the backing cloth, and the leather surface on one of the arms has a hole in it. It's about five years old, but has been looking bad for about a year now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Worst thing I did was stick that little blinking LED for the converter directly in the line of sight from the bedroom. Dang that thing can be bright at night.
I put mine just above the lower curtain track for just that reason. That way the curtain covers it when they are closed. My sympathies.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Kind Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Chuck and Skye,
Beautiful job on the wood floor. Your chairs look great. I still work so we only use our Airstream for a month in the summer. The Ikea chairs we chose were very comfortable for the cost. Yours look great, we'll have to save our pennies. I put the blinking light inside the box. The lid just lifts off so I can get to the battery. I can just tilt it up to check the converter.
Gene
Thanks, I still like the brown in yours I think. And ours were not as pricey as you might think. We only leave one of the ottomans in there and we share it. Yeah, I definitely blew it with the indicator light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Nice work on both these Airstreams. The one thing I wish we had in ours is a set of recliners. Thanks for showing us and others ways it can be done.

doug k
Cant wait to see pics of your when you get it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Very nice! Beautiful interior.
Where did you get the recliners? I will be in the market for a new one.

I put mine just above the lower curtain track for just that reason. That way the curtain covers it when they are closed. My sympathies.
Skye got the recliners from Overstock.com. They each have an ottoman and they each also have a small round table (big enough for a paperback and a cup of coffee) that mounts on the sides. But those tend to move with you in the chair and we generally leave them home..
And quit laughing, I will figure out something to do with that light that will be way cool!

WBCCI 3805