Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rear twins to Full or Queen

I have done a bunch of searches and read lots of info on what different folks have done to covert from twins. What I cannot seem to find is a conversion with measurements and possibly photos (I gotta convince the wife!) for converting my rear twins with walk through bath to a full or queen and still look factory.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
look here

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=success+story
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Factory

The full size bed is simply made of two twins placed side by side.(from the factory)

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A regular queen size bed matress is 60" wide by 80" long. A double bed is usually more like 48x75 as I recall. A standard size twin bed is usually something like 36x80 and is exactly half the size of a standard king size bed. Cot size mattresses - which are a little hard to find are 30" wide - which is 1/2 of a queen size bed. I think you will find that many queen size beds in RV's are not actually 80" long but more like 75" for space saving reasons. If you want your bed to be sideways then 80" may be too long to be able to walk around the end.

In my full remodel of our 1973 31' rear bedroom AS I intend to install a queen size bed at the back lengthwise of the trailer. The original bed was sideways. I am having to relocate the water heater and a few other things to get this to happen since they were under the head of the bed in the original install. In my case I have a bit more freedom since I have to entirely rebuild the walls and ect. and can move things a bit to make room if I need to.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ok gents ,thanks for the info., all I gotta do now is convince the wife that I am not ruining the bedroom!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
King Size Bed

Don't worry about a double or Queen fitting......I put a King Size Bed crossways in the back of my 1984 31' Excella. It is wall to wall bed with no walk around but what a pleasure for this 6'4" guy to sleep in! The bed even lifts up on pistons to access the underbed storage.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Mark, Do you have any photos of the kingsize bed installation?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
King size bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Pockets
Mark, Do you have any photos of the kingsize bed installation?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill:
I do not have any photos. This was a rear twin to King Size conversion using a conventional king mattress. The king bed mattress is aligned crosswise to the coach. The mattress dimensions use all the forward to aft length of the bedroom but the side to side dimension leaves adequate clearance of about 3"-4" at each end. Basically I built two side boxes under the bed out of plywood and 2x4's to restore the old twin bed side compartment storage areas accessible from the outside. These were strong enough to hold the metal mattress frame with wooden slats that I bought from IKEA.

The metal bed frame was hinged (on a long side) at the back of the coach so as to swing forward when the bed was lifted from the hallway end to gain access to the underbed storage area. I had to "buy" more space when the mattress was rotated up with lifting so this forward swing helped.

These were not typical hinges but four 8" metal bars, 2 on each side of the right and left, forward to aft, bed frame members, loosely bolted at the top at the bed frame and then at the bottom where it attached to the box structure. The weight of the frame and bed was actually supported by the box structure design with enough of a cutout for the hinges to operate at the back.

The lifting was aided by gas pistons. My first design was "underpowered" and I am adding much stronger pistons mounted to the floor and tilted backward to attach to the bed frame. As the mattress is lifted the pistons rise more toward the vertical as they expand. (In the meantime I am using a simple block and tackle and rope lift at the hallway to aid in the lifting.) The bed and frame weigh about 200 pounds. My new Suspa pistons are 150 psi each and about 35" long when uncompressed. I will attach them at the halfway point on each frame side. My plan is to use one on each side.....but have 2 spares just in case they are also needed.

Here is a website where you can order gas pistons online with a credit card: www.mcmaster.com.

One modification you must make is to reroute the forced air gas heating duct depending on how one finishes the front area under the bed at the hallway entrance to the bedroom.

A result of this bed configuration is a large area for storage under the bed in addition to the original side storage areas with exterior access.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Mark
Old 02-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #10

Thumbs up I would like to view this thread??

Hi, I know I'm new but I consider myself fairly computer literate,
but for some reason I can't view the threads. What am I doing wrong?
We have a 74 Sovereign which someone converted the back twins to a double bed, but we're not too happy with the conversion and are looking for new ideas other than going back to twins.
Also does anyone have or know where to get the original floorplans for
the 74 Sovereign 31'?
metriksagogo is offline   Reply With Quote