Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
rear twin beds to convert

Hi i have a 1994 Excella classic with rear twin beds. My wife and I have not slept in twin beds since married 26 years ago. I want to convert the rear to a queen bedroom. I ideas to deal with the trunks by building a small shallow box for each side. The rear trunk is a no brainer. I will build a base that flips up for storage for the bed. I undecided as what to do for cabinets.

I like the newer style but would prefer to match the orginal oak look or close to it. Should I jut have them made? I emailed the factory and I'm waiting there response. i also wouldn't mined selling the twin beds and cabinets that go with them if anyone needs this set up.

Brian
sfcg2003@aol.com

Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have onlyn slept in a queen/then king. Have been married 36 years. We now sleep in our A/S a full - a little tight, but it fits us well. But then again, when one of us if snoring (usually me) we head to different rooms. LOL
Have a great trip what ever you do.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
that's interesting... we want to convert our queen to twins (bunks, actually)... is it possible the depth of the room is different for the two layouts? (i.e. where the bathroom wall is located)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
It has been discussed several times on these forums so a search should be fruitful. See my own posts here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f141...ses-15499.html
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
My husband and I are doing this right now. The twin platforms are gone, we are replacing the floor today (because of rot), and building a queen platform. I'll take pictures all along the way.
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
that's interesting... we want to convert our queen to twins (bunks, actually)... is it possible the depth of the room is different for the two layouts? (i.e. where the bathroom wall is located)
I have a complete set up here for sale contact me. sfcg2003@aol.com I'm also thinking of useing the twin base to build the new full or queen base and putting both mattress togeather, with the rounded corners it may work great.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
It has been discussed several times on these forums so a search should be fruitful. See my own posts here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f141...ses-15499.html

Bob Thank for your input. Great job on yours looks great and I think you've given me an idea. Do you thin k useing the twins frame and mattress to build a full or queen? I'm measure tomorrow.
Brian sfcg2003@aol.com
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
In our switch from twins to queen pedestal, the wood casework for the twins worked great to make the pedestal. As for the mattress, I'd recommend a good "short queen" in lieu of trying to put two twins together. Comfort is just too important when sleeping.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
There are many threads on this subject in the forums. It is something that I have always wanted to do. However, my thinking has changed a bit over the years that we have had our trailer (9 years). The twins do have their benefits. Yes, the drawback is not sleeping together. The plusses (to me) are:
  • Less disruption of the others sleep due to movement and bathroom trips
  • Easier to stay in bed when the other wants to get up
  • If we travel with relatives (children, etc) we can put them on the twins and we sleep on the jackknife
  • No conversion needed in our trailer
  • Easy access to storage underneath
We will be getting another trailer in about 4-5 years and it will be a single bed, but we can live with it like this for now. Anyway, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
twins to a full

Hi all we did convert the 94 excella to a full size bed instead of a Queen. We have a king at home so it will take some getting used to, but it fits the trailer great. I used one of the twin beds base to make the new Full bed. I place it so the cubby door opens toward the front. I also left a space between the rear and front base and place the extra plastic containers under the bed. This way we can throw shoes in them and just slide em out. I'm in the process of framing in the two trunks. I'll make shallow trunks on the sides about 3 inches deep. This will work for extra cable tv wire, a small water hose, lite electric cords etc. The read trunk will hold all the larger stuff. I will post pics when im done if I can firgure out how to.

Brian
Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Queen to twins

We are switching to twins from the crosswise queen. Not enough space behind to easily make bed or get into bed. Person in back must crawl out over the foot of the bed and we are getting long in the tooth for that.

We are stopping at Jackson Center around July 1 to get a long storage door installed in the curb side of the trailer. I do cabinet work, so we will have a great dresser with 3 big drawers in the center rear. We will not have the storage door across the rear and that allows for the additional drawers.

The queen pedestal has all the material I need to make the twin pedestals and the night table will be inverted, modified, and installed on the curb side.

We are in Austin, Texas. We will have a 5-year-old queen mattress that has never been slept on without a mattress pad. I would love to swap the queen for a pair of late-model twin mattresses anytime after about July 10. I would swap or donate sheets, as well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
In our Overlander, we're committed to replacing the rear bath (gone) with a queen bed. "Crosswise" makes the most sense given the location of the wheel wells. We've decided on a short queen. Yes, it will make the bed difficult to make. Yes, it means one of us will be forced to clamber over the other. Since my wife is the restless one, we'll give her the "easy out."

Our plan is to use half of the under-bed area for storage. The rest of the area is dedicated to electrical and plumbing connections, the breaker box, 12v converter, etc. Rather than a "flip up" opening, I'm looking at sliding panels to save space. The under-bed area will be for longer-term storage like linens rather than things we plan to use every day.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
Have you gutted your bathroom yet? I have a 1977 Overlander with a rear bath that I'm determined to rip out. The configuration just doesn't make sense having a center bed and bunk...let me know how it goes!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Queen to two lazy boys

Have 23FB with sideways queen. Thinking of removing the bed completely and using two smallish lazy boy recliners. Has anyone done this? Is it feasible? Occasionally we both sleep very well in our house lazy boys now but find the queen the Airstream very uncomfortable.