Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Rear Endcap Upper Cabinet Falling Down

I'm doing a bunch of other floor/frame/skin/rib damage rework that are far bigger issues to tackle. However, I do want to address this problem on my 1991 34' Limited. The cabinet is falling away from the ceiling (see picture below). It wasn't like this a few years ago, and I want suggestions as to how to correct this problem. I've done a search on this issue several times and I've not seen exactly the same problem or at least how to fix this in a good manner. Please help!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I'm doing a bunch of other floor/frame/skin/rib damage rework that are far bigger issues to tackle. However, I do want to address this problem on my 1991 34' Limited. The cabinet is falling away from the ceiling (see picture below). It wasn't like this a few years ago, and I want suggestions as to how to correct this problem. I've done a search on this issue several times and I've not seen exactly the same problem or at least how to fix this in a good manner. Please help!

The headliner was originally underneath the vinyl-clad sheet metal.

That made it impossible to drop as your photo shows.

About all you can do, is move the headliner so that it is underneath those panels, so that the rivets will hold it in place.

Andy

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Andy,
Thanks for your response!

Are you saying that I should move the headliner sheet metal aft about half an inch farther aft so that the extrusion that receives the forward edge of the end cap headliner will go into and be held by the extrusion? I don't see how I could do that as the vinyl-clad sheet metal headliner is very long and I'd have to remove a lot of rivets and probably then have a gap farther forward.

There's a large expanse of unsupported weight on this end cap headliner/upper cabinet fascia and it has sagged down over the past twenty-plus years.

Steve
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
My '73 had a cheater strip of vinyl covered liner sheet around 1-3/4~" wide covering the gap between the liners proper and the rear end-cap as added insurance. The add-in strip ran the whole length of the plastic/aluminum seam. I must comment that it did not appear very neat when I took it down, and I have not reinstalled the interior yet.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Like Andy said it should go underneath the Aluminum skins and be riveted to that. There maybe attach points lower down that are giving way and have caused the seam to separate. I would look below the end cap area and see if the rivets are intact there. There may also be some rivets/screws inside the cabinets that are holding things up. I suspect that something very heavy was kept in those cabinets or your trailer was built on a monday or friday.

Perry
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
It could be that however the trailer's tail end causing the rear damage shown here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1172246 caused the cabinet to break loose and pull and tear the rear cap headliner. The trailer had evidently been thumped on its rear pretty soundly at some time in the past.

No matter what happened in the past, I just want to investigate and repair this as best as I can.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So the plastic has separated from the sheet metal? In other words it split? Well if that is the case you could make a real wide transition piece and rivet on both sides of that. There must be a lower attach point that has failed as well transfering some of the stress to that top seam.

Perry
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Perrry,
I'll look at it some more tomorrow and try to diagnose what is going on a little more. Something is not being adequately supported and it's gotten worse.

Steve
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Since you already have stuff apart back there you might want to consider taking it off the wall and see what is what.

Perry
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I've looked closer at the rear end cap headliner and some pictures that were taken before I removed the interior skin on the road side radiused area. The headliner was saging down about 1/4" but no where near as much as it is now. I can push up on the end cap headliner and most of the gap disappears again and the leading edge of the end cap will tuck back into the recessed area on the aft edge of the headliner. I see now that I can shore this up quite a lot. Much of the gap is due to the fact that the road side of the end cap has not been supported from below for about nine months now.