Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hailey , Idaho
Re-skin or strip paint from interior?

Hi All-
This is my first post to air forums - our family just purchased a 1965 Safari (22 foot) and are in the restoration process. I have to admit, however, that I've been an ardent reader of the forums - lots of good info from all of you out there!

So, I thought I would ask this question, in the context of wanting to have the aluminum interior (kind of like the new Airstreams currently on the market have) does it make more sense to try and strip the paint from the interior aluminum - with Removall 220 - or is that going to be a waste of time and we should just reskin with new aluminum?

Thanks in advance for your advice and input!
campbell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
Hi, big question!, I would remove a small piece and see how you get along with different strippers e.t.c, i've seen it can be done although i'm not sure you don'T have the vinyl covering also, i've got the vinyl covering and loads of holes where i don't want them so i decided to re-skin and spend my time doing more exciting stuff like polishing!!
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Replacing with new bare aluminum skin poses some advantages.

1. Time. I just spent a ton of time prepping and painting my interior skins on my 58. I also spent about 300.00 in paint. Now I have clean painted walls with a number of patches and extra holes.

2. Bare aluminum will look better then stripped aluminum unless you put in a lot of hours polishing and or cleaning them.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hailey , Idaho
Thanks for the input - I think we will reskin with new aluminum...now the trick is just getting that paint off the outside (the top was painted white for some reason)! I'm going to try PEELAWAY which was suggested on another thread. We're making progress...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell19
Thanks for the input - I think we will reskin with new aluminum...now the trick is just getting that paint off the outside (the top was painted white for some reason)! I'm going to try PEELAWAY which was suggested on another thread. We're making progress...
It was painted white to cut down on the heat most likely. New airstreams have white roofs for this reason. I have thought about doing this to mine, but it shows on older airstreams so more polishing is in store for me.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I painted my roof on the 77 to reduce the heat load and temperature by 12 degrees, when attending International Rallies with only 3 amp service. You really can not see the white unless you get on a step ladder. It also saved a lot of polishing time. The 63 is sans roof coating of any type.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell19 View Post
Hi All-
This is my first post to air forums - our family just purchased a 1965 Safari (22 foot) and are in the restoration process. I have to admit, however, that I've been an ardent reader of the forums - lots of good info from all of you out there!

So, I thought I would ask this question, in the context of wanting to have the aluminum interior (kind of like the new Airstreams currently on the market have) does it make more sense to try and strip the paint from the interior aluminum - with Removall 220 - or is that going to be a waste of time and we should just reskin with new aluminum?

Thanks in advance for your advice and input!
Welcome to the forums!

I am currently stripping my '65 Globetrotter's interior.
see here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-89528.html

Currently I have been using Kleen Strip Aircraft paint remove ($60/gal), and have about 2 gallons into the job.

At $200 a sheet for 2024T3x.032 4'x12' I opted for "restore".

You could be well over $1000 to redo, plus cutting and drilling....
It's probably a pretty big job in my opinion.

I am going for removing Zolatone while it's still inside the trailer, light polish, then remove. Once my floor is replaced I will then re-install and polish.
I am not going for mirrored finish, but not milled finish... somewhere in between to radiate color throughout.

Let me know how it goes, and welcome

Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
oh god. i have very few regrets in life... stripping the interior of our 62 was one of them. RESKIN. wewere head to toe covered in paint coveralls, trash shoes, gloves, googles, and used the high test paint stripper (the stuff that burns your skin if it gets on you) and it was still 4 weekends of stripping... still isnt 100% how we'd like it. this was a globe trotter btw and we didnt do the bathroom either. plus, you have to think about your fiberglass endcaps...
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I re-skinned the interior of my '63. I was planning on stripping but it soon looked like a huge task, only to end up with a bunch of beatup old skins.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1073025

If I was doing it again, I'd use .032 instead of .025.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I am going through the same issue with my new to me trailer. The walls in it are painted, and I want aluminum. The time it will take to strip that alclad, and then polish it will take a considerable amount of time, effort, and cost in removall 220.

I am going with 6002 mill finish for the interior of the trailer to conserve price...I also don't want to polish my interior.

Consider your time and the cost of stripping and polishing if you go with alclad....it will be considerable.

Steve
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
stripper from wal mart klean strip in the gold can jell works best the pessure wash
anything left buy the spray and that will clean the spots up.
also for polish find some white diamond polish parts store advance works great.
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hailey , Idaho
Hi Vernon!
I really like the aluminum you used for your project - took a look at the photos on your forum post. Where did you source your aluminum and did you treat it once it was up? Thanks for the info!
Eltiena
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I stripped the interior paint from my 55 safari using citrastrip. There were 2 coats of latex over the zolatone. Citrastrip is great for interiors because it is not toxic like most of the others. No toxic smell. Also it does not burn your skin. My method:

1. Brush Citrastrip gel on a 3' by 3' area and let it work.

2. When you can see the paint absorbed into the citrastrip gel, scrape it off with a plastic putty knife.

3. Rub the area with steel wool and odorless mineral spirits. Wipe off more paint with a paper towel.

4. You can start stripping a new area before you are done with the previous area.

5. Repeat as necessary.

My trailer took 3 passes to get it down to bare aluminum. Wear gloves & saftey glasses.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Citristrip

Citristip works good, but I like something stronger first, but that's just preference.

I found citripstrip with those plastic dish lufa's/scrubber pads, the one's you get for a buck, that are all plastic so it won't scratch the aluminum, work good after the citristrip has dried.

I'm debating using citristrip around the window jams, give it 2 to 3 coats and then try a pressure washer to get it out of the tiny cracks.

I don't have a floor (one that's going to be used again anyways), so I figured what the heck, I'll try the pressure washer.

Sometimes its just time and elbow grease that get it done, all methods lead to the same result....
A sweet coach!

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 06-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Hey guys, I use citristrip to remove paint from a car. I'll let you in on a secret that I discovered years ago:

1: apply the jell to the area to be stripped, working the jell in one direction...apply liberally
2: after you have an area covered with the jell cover the jell with sheet plastic; use a razor knife to open up a garbage bag for the sheet plastic....cheap.
3: walk away! overnight is best.....the plastic will keep the jell from evaporating while it converts the paint to slime.
4: peel the plastic sheet away....if you did it correctly the paint will more than likely adhere to the plastic
5: use a plastic putty knife to remove the residual.

I just used this method to remove 4 layers of paint from the hood of my "57 T-Bird
2ndflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I think 65' was the last year for Zolatone applied to the aluminum walls and both interior end caps are fiberglass. I'm I correct on this? Most of the center panels are interupted by cabinets and closets so there is not the much area anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the bare aluminum look (unless it is a original 13 panel year) and even then it really changes the way the interior feels as in more modern. Unless all other woodwork and hardware remains of the period. (see Island Girl thread)

If this is the look you want, go for it, but removing the original metal to replace with new material is just as much work as stripping the paint. And alot more expensive. OK, much more work too. And as I said, the area is relatively small.

We repainted our walls and stripped the window frames which really helped brighten up the otherwise monotone look of all painted surfaces.

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1974 25' Tradewind
1973 31' Sovereign
Charlottesville , Virginia
OK, new question - I am planning on using wallpaper (no audible groans please, I have my reasons!) for the interior of the GT. A skim coat of drywall mud and then apply? Or strip off the paint down to the Zolatone? All input is appreciated! Thx!
ASIcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Don't Bother

Safari62, Your correct, the '65 has fiberlgass endcaps and has Zolatone interior. Stripping will add a different feel, personal preference.

I agree, I would not re-skin. I have about 45-50 hours into stripper my interior, and removing all my panels, but it cost about $100.
I am replacing my floor, so getting dirty wasn't an issue, plus my appliances had already been removed.

My panels did end up pretty good though, but if they were beat up I would replace.
Maybe just doing a couple would add the same feel, but be less work for someone.

Anywho, I used Kleen Strip Aircraft stripper for 2 layers, scraping with plastic bondo style scrapers.
Then I used Citristrip with Scrubbers, and then final step was dipping the scrubber into Mineral spirits and scrubbing off. A final wipe down with Spirits left it pretty good, and has a milled look.

I just pulled all panels last week, and even though I haven't re-installed yet, I think I would still keep what I could.

The biggest thing I think is if someone is doing a full re-do (as I am).
I think if someone is just looking to do some sprucing up, then by all means strip. Panel replacement would be some work for sure. I didn't really care, I was so concerned with getting the old insulation out.

ASIcons: What year/size are you installing wallpaper?
I wouldn't bother personally.

TIMK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	166219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 040.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	166220  

Name:	Picture 070.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	166221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 066.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	166222  

Name:	Picture 072.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	166223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 075.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	166224  

Name:	Picture 079.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	166225  

TAC CA-77
Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Strip it, if it has been painted over the Zolatone, but only the paint over the Zolatone. Their is no reason to remove the Zolatone, it's a great undercoat, very durable. Just clean with TSP and lightly sand before repainting. If you want bare aluminum, then you have no choice but to strip, and in that case, I would do just that, you do not want to re-skin. I made the mistake of taking it down to the aluminum to paint it again with Zolatone. Member's Photos - Photo Gallery
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Hailey , Idaho
So we made the mistake of getting some help with stripping out the bathroom and the highschool kid who helped us pulled out the fiberglass end cap too - it's long gone now - probably in a land fill somewhere
Anyway...we can either try to find a replacement - we have calls into Inland and Vintage Trailer or I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried to replace with aluminum skin and if so, how do you do it without "ribbing" there to attach to?