Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Re-Chrome Faucets

We want to keep our A/S as original as possible. Has anybody had their faucets re-chromed? We have one price so far, turns out to be really expensive.

Thanks - Derek
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Re-Chrome Faucets

Greetings Derek!

Quality chrome plating is definitely expensive -- over $3,500 just for the front and rear bumpers on my Eldorado seven years ago.

When I approached the faucet sets in my '64 Overlander, I went to the local plumbing supply to see what was available. They were able to provide nearly identical faucets for the kitchen sink and bathroom vanity. The faucets were Kohler which increased the cost a bit, but still for the two faucets in 2003 it was less than $400.00. The tub/shower faucet is a bit more difficult to source -- it is available as a reproduction of a 1920s tub-mount faucet -- the added diverter valve really increased the cost -- in 2003 it was $375 -- just purchased one for my 1922 bungalow and it was $460.00 -- and my contractor told me yesterday that a price increase became effective today so the new price would be $650.00.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Try Vintage Trailer Supply. They have a great replacement for the bath faucet for my 65 Overlander. Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
VTS is the first place I look for anything Airstream related. Finding replacement faucets is not a problem, but we are trying to keep all of the original items if we can.

D
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil View Post
VTS is the first place I look for anything Airstream related. Finding replacement faucets is not a problem, but we are trying to keep all of the original items if we can.

D
VTS is not an Airstream dealer.

Their supply of original Airstream parts is very limited, since they, for most part, must buy them from an authorized dealer, and then resell them.

They do have some reproductions of a few parts.

In time, less and less parts are available for older trailers.

It's a matter of having some remanufacturered, or finding substitutes.

Or in some cases, having some of the older parts rebuilt, is a choice, but usually at a substancial cost.

Not to many things can be truly "kept original."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I am pretty sure most people who buy from VTS know they are not an Airstream dealer.

You are correct, it is hard to keep things truly original, that is why the title to this thread is "Re-Chrome Faucets", so we can keep the original faucets looking the best we can. It's not titled "Where do I buy reproduction faucets".

At this point, we are going to keep the originals and just clean them up a little more.

Derek
Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Derek,

I think that the posts about "correct" replacements were meant with the best of intentions. What you are up against is that re-chroming is more expensive than replacement. Chrome shops are saddled with extensive environmental regulations, the same as major manufacturers, but they only do a few items a week vs. thousands. They have to charge enough to pay the bills or go out of business.

I appreciate your desire to keep things original. As Andy said, there will be "a substantial cost."