Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Projects addict

1998 30' Excella 1000
Dunnellon , Florida
Question Queen to twins Oops

After much study, advice and reading lots of threads here, I got up the courage to change the queen in our '98 30' Excella to twins. It has floor to ceiling storage cabinets on each side at the head of the bed with an overhead cabinet between them. See pics.

According to a fellow AS owner who has done interior work, the center cabinet is NOT held up by the side units and is self supported. NOT TRUE We got the street side cabinet out and were working on removing the curb side unit when the center cabinet over the window came crashing down. Actually the aluminum angle brace between the cabinet and the wall above the window held, thankfully, and the unit swung down to about a forty five degree angle before we caught it. My son and I got bruised but no major injuries.

So, now what? Can this unit be fastened to the ceiling? If so how? My plan was to use the upper part of the side units just to fill the gap on each side of the center cabinet, but not for structural support.

I have seen other configurations that have an upper cabinet that spans the full width. Maybe I will need to do that. BTW the 110 volt distribution fuse box is in this cabinet.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome on how to get out of the mess I put myself in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1677.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	183836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1678.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	183837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1679.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	183838  
lgraybiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Just cut the side units down and put a new base on them? I would cut it just above the top of the door, leaving the top of the door frame intact. I think that would look good.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Notch the bed and put your feet towards the rear of the trailer?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Projects addict

1998 30' Excella 1000
Dunnellon , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Notch the bed and put your feet towards the rear of the trailer?

Aaron
I can't notch the beds that much. They are Sleep Number air beds.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Projects addict

1998 30' Excella 1000
Dunnellon , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Just cut the side units down and put a new base on them? I would cut it just above the top of the door, leaving the top of the door frame intact. I think that would look good.
That is what I planned on doing originally, but it won't provide the structural support needed to hold up the center cabinet. The side panel that goes from ceiling to floor beside the center cabinet and next to the bed is what provides the support to hold up the center cabinet. These cabinets only have a front and the side next to the bed. Their is no side next to the wall and they are not fastened to the wall.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Well then I would continue with your original plans and just add some aluminum screw tabs ( like on the overheads) to secure it all. Or, find a salvage part from a twin bed model.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote