Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool Queen to Twin/Nook/Desk Conversion - 27' FB International

Disclaimers: I am not a professional. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.

We have been planning to do a bedroom reno for some time now. But we put it off until after we went full-time because I was nervous about doing the work myself.

So this month we've been #moochdocking with family and getting some assistance and the use of tools. The cushions for our dinette and lounge are getting re-upholstered and the bedroom is getting remodeled.

I did a few searches on 'Queen to Twin conversions' searching for descriptions and mostly photos for ideas. So I thought it might be useful to post a few details of what we have done.

We wanted to redo the rear bedroom for a few reasons. My wife and I both work in web, but my job eats up more of my attention during the day. And I wanted a dedicated workspace that wasn't the dinette. The other part was we felt the queen was to big, and the the FB wasted a lot of potential space, as much as we love this floor plan.

I know what you're thinking, queen to big? We're cuddlers, and started our marriage with a double. And then moved up to a queen. So really, we have never felt the need for more.

Part of my inspiration is owed to this Worksology, and in a way I built off his ideas.

We liked the idea of a desk, the idea of a nook, and using a twin. As for the nook, we have a 3 month old with us. She sleeps in a portable bassinet, which we can place on the nook. It will also serve as a baby changing station.

So we drew up a plan and got to work. The first task would be tackling the sleeping arrangements.

Naturally the first thing we did was disassemble the original bedroom.

Went and purchased wood and started mocking things up and cutting wood.

Part of my idea was to keep the original storage box at the front, and expand on it. I wanted to have two compartments I could also access from inside, that would be hidden and not easily accessible by children. These would be at both ends of the storage. I used one sheet of plywood cut across the front.

The outside storage compartment being as big as it is had to be re-enforced.

Aside* We've installed an AM solar kit and a Samlex Pure Shine Inverter, I wanted to have access to this on the curb side compartment, and as such begin a project to clean up Airstream's wiring. I have a separate thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ng-135945.html for that.

As it turned out, across the back and down the side both equate to a twin size mattress overlapping on the curb side.

We purchased our twin Mattresses from Amazon. They are 6 inch memory foam mattresses. We removed the 1.5 inch memory foam and replaced it with cut sections from our original queen which had 4 inch gel based memory foam.

... to be continued...

Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Nice!

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Smile The standing desk

You'll have to forgive me, I'm slightly worn out and excited and might be missing a number of details about this project. What I do have, are photos. That hopefully explain visually what's taking place.

------

So with the beds completed, the next step was the desk area. I kicked back and forth between standing and sitting. At home, I had a standing desk. And at work, I had one for 1yr and a half. It was great, until my job took my standing desk away from me. Luckily they let me go remote, and here we are today, so I guess it all worked out.

A month working out at the dinette had settled that I wanted a standing desk. Watching a movie, eating, lounging at the dinette was fine. Trying to work at the dinette for 8 hours staring at a screen.........

So standing desk it was. At first I was just going to do a regular rectangular desk. But after a few nights with all the extra space in the back bedroom from the L configuration of the beds, I started to rethink things.

And my mind gravitated towards a corner desk. I ran the ideas past my father in-law to get his input on how to make this happen. And here is what we ended up with:

This is version 1.0 - it needed some cutting, but this would be the basic concept.

After some adjustments where made, it was ready to go. We secured it to the walls with 1/2 inch 3/8 thick aluminum L channel purchased from Home Depot.

Sticking with the idea of all those lovely curves of an Airstream, we gave it rounded corners and went around the light switches and the Ocean Air shades.

And of course, a spot in the rear for computer wires and such.

It'd be great if that's all it took to keep it up there, but that's not enough to support leaning on it. It'd need legs. And I wanted it to be stylish and consistent with the Airstream.

Browsing Home Depot, I came into the closet organization section. And found heavy duty 1 1/2 inch closet rods in brushed nickel. Perfect! And I could use the closet rod mounts to mount to the floor and base. Only one problem

They sell these as packages and I only need one part, so I'd have to buy 4 of them to get the pieces I needed.

Oh well. Done.

And the whole bedroom so far...

So that's it for now. All that is left are finishing details. I still need to finish some wiring, we need trim pieces for the bed and we are still debating how, if at all to build cubbies along the road side lower wall.

We need new bedding too. The "nook" side is getting a custom fitted cover that will be more like upholstery and we're going to modify sheets for the bed side once the wifey decides on colors and things.

And then finally I'd like to build some shelfs for our overhead bin.

... To Be Continued ...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Looking great. So which is your primary couple sleeping area and how big did your bed end up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Nice work.

Love your moochdocking project and photos! It looks wonderful! Great job!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nice.. Noticed your notes tape to the aluminum. Suggest some double side sticky tape to stick a thin steel plate. Then you can use small magnets to hold papers...

Another choice, use similar tape to adhere a thin steel plate to the back of monitor... Extending to both sides of monitor. Repeat magnet use
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
For the corner standing desk, did you consider using a flat plate under the table with a single leg coming off the plate and attaching at the corner on the floor? That would still provide the support and keep the leg out of the way of your feet. It would have to be angled back from the center of the plate to the corner but should still be strong enough to support your laptop and leaning on it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Looking great. So which is your primary couple sleeping area and how big did your bed end up.
We sleep on the curb side section of the bed. It's a standard twin. 40 inches across and the back section is 35 inches (shaved twin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Nice.. Noticed your notes tape to the aluminum. Suggest some double side sticky tape to stick a thin steel plate. Then you can use small magnets to hold papers...

Another choice, use similar tape to adhere a thin steel plate to the back of monitor... Extending to both sides of monitor. Repeat magnet use
Actually that's just the instructions for the solar charge controller. I keep notes digitally, it's cleaner that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
For the corner standing desk, did you consider using a flat plate under the table with a single leg coming off the plate and attaching at the corner on the floor? That would still provide the support and keep the leg out of the way of your feet. It would have to be angled back from the center of the plate to the corner but should still be strong enough to support your laptop and leaning on it.
I did. I was thinking of a pedestal, but there was nothing I could find that I could purchase immediately. Nothing online that would get here within the next 10 days either. We roll out to Ohio on the 20th. A few speciality places could of provided something like that, but it would of meant waiting on a 5-10 business day shipping expectation.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Your very talented. I wish the Hubster and I were handy like you! Congrats on having the vision ��
Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA

Mounted an LG Ultrawide display.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Has there been any increase/decrease in the tongue weight of your trailer?

Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Decrease based on my calculations from cat scale trip before and after.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

We have been living with this modification since June. And I wanted to share some thoughts and details now that we've lived in it more.

Regarding regrets, I have two. First the bed. Wish we had extended it all the way to the bathroom wall. We left a one-foot gap like an actual Airstream twin. But have since started sleeping with our heads at the end of the bed.

I decided I'm getting a board to extend it and perhaps build a shelf like headboard. (You'll just have to image that on your own)

Second regret, I wish I had stained my desk. Painting it white was a mistake. It looks terrible now. Might just paint it black.

Not much has changed outside of the sleeping positions. We purchased two body pillows to help give it more of a day bed feel when not sleeping on it.

The floor space has been a real boon, we also purchased a yellow bean bag chair for Alexandra, that occasionally mom and dad plop down in. And the added floor space really makes the bedroom feel larger than it is. It's also been great having his and her work spaces. Especially for myself, when coding it's nice to be able to focus on work.

Lastly, I did buy some Reflectix and line the wall, which can be seen in the last photo below. This really helped with the chill effect from sleeping against the wall.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Ah, to invent. It is a real pleasure watching you work on inventing a new solution beyond the status quo.