Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Queen to Twin Conversion - 25' FB SE

Hi.

Our 2008 25 FB SE has been our vacation home on many trips now.

My wife has noted that her sleeps are often interrupted by my attempting to grope my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night & the tight configuration of the front BR. On our last trip down the US West Coast while we were sitting enjoying the view, she casually let it slip that she wished that we had bought a twin bed configuration instead of the Queen.

I thought "Sure, why not?" I'll replace the carpet too... starting us on a 400+ hour project after we discovered major leaks in the aft part of the unit etc... Thanks to this forum, my search on 'new flooring' brought me to realize that we could have wet floors underneath the vinyl.

Anyways, with leaks fixed, new floor, new countertops, etc.it was time to tackle the bedroom conversion.

I did a few searches on 'Queen to Twin conversions' & welcomed any pics & descriptions I found for ideas, so thought it might be useful to post a few details of what we have done.

We started with this:

and ended up with this:

After the rest of the trailer was done (leaks fixed, flooring in, cabinets replaced etc.) it was time to tackle the bedroom:

First job; clean up the clutter...

There were a few issues that needed thought.

It didn't make sense to me to have the heating duct opening at the aft side of the bedroom. (I also thought running the Bathroom duct underneath the floor was a poor plan so attempted to rectify that during this conversion.)

I wanted to install an inverter which needed a home somewhere under a bed.

I also wanted us to try and keep as much storage under the beds as possible with access not limited by the doors coming down to the floor etc. Tambour doors made the most sense to me.

The Bedside table...made up of recycled drawers etc.:

I elected to add a second level. AC power & 12V power underneath the upper deck:

To reduce light leaking around the windows & to improve privacy, I built valances around the windows. Plywood covered with scraps from the mattress cover "denim":

Anyways...

We are happy with the new configuration.

We are sleeping better..

I hope this is helpful to anyone else contemplating a similar job.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That is a fantastic job. If I had ability to do that quality of work, I could have solved our major issue in our existing 2013 25FB International Serenity trailer which is the cross bed.

Our solution was to order a 2014 27FB Classic with twin beds which has solid hickory cabinetry.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Beautiful work! Looks great!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Eheffa,

Thanks so much for posting this. We have a 2006 FB, and we've had similar discussions about converting to twin beds. Your pictures and descriptions will be most helpful should we decide to do it eventually. You did incredible work - it looks marvelous! I'm very impressed.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That is a fantastic job. If I had ability to do that quality of work, I could have solved our major issue in our existing 2013 25FB International Serenity trailer which is the cross bed.

Our solution was to order a 2014 27FB Classic with twin beds which has solid hickory cabinetry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Beautiful work! Looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
Eheffa,

Thanks so much for posting this. We have a 2006 FB, and we've had similar discussions about converting to twin beds. Your pictures and descriptions will be most helpful should we decide to do it eventually. You did incredible work - it looks marvelous! I'm very impressed.

Thank you for your kind comments.

-evan
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Beautiful!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Thanks Evan for the inspiration....
I have a 27FB and will someday do the same...Are the mattresses foam?
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We don't have that problem.

Hi, in our rear queen 25'er we don't have that problem; I sleep closest to the hall way so I can get up without disturbing my wife. And she just climbs over me and I'm OK with that. But you did a wonderful job on yours. You were also creative in the fact that you re-used many of the factory queen bed frame parts in your change over. [something that I would have done too] Nice job on relocating the furnace ducts too.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We sold our SOB trailer with a queen like that for that reason. We purchased a 28' Safari '05 rear queen which dos not have that issue.
Beautiful work! I do see the advantages of that configuration.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Thanks Evan for the inspiration....
I have a 27FB and will someday do the same...Are the mattresses foam?
Dennis
Thanks Dennis,

Yes the mattresses are medium density foam and were made up by a local foam shop specializing in marine & RV mattresses.

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Beautiful!
Thank you Greg.

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in our rear queen 25'er we don't have that problem; I sleep closest to the hall way so I can get up without disturbing my wife. And she just climbs over me and I'm OK with that. But you did a wonderful job on yours. You were also creative in the fact that you re-used many of the factory queen bed frame parts in your change over. [something that I would have done too] Nice job on relocating the furnace ducts too.
Thank you Robert.

I prefer to be near the fresh air window so was on the window side. I thought I was remarkably subtle & adept at sneaking to the Bathroom at night but my good wife seemed to not share that high opinion of my cat-burgler skills...

I did try and reuse as much of the original materials from the Queen bedroom as I could. I wanted it to look like it came from the factory as a twin. (To anyone in the know - it's obvious that it didn't but no harm in trying...)

It would have been very difficult to find those nice round radiused plywood corners.

We haven't had a chance to try out the furnace much yet with the new duct configurations. It's been too hot. (I was very surprised to see how much furnace air was being ducted down into the underbelly tanks. I added shutoff valves to keep this happening by default to be opened only when freezing temperatures were in the forecast - but this is stuff for another post maybe.)

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
We sold our SOB trailer with a queen like that for that reason. We purchased a 28' Safari '05 rear queen which dos not have that issue.
Beautiful work! I do see the advantages of that configuration.
Thanks Kosm1o,

I have to say that I didn't even consider the twin option when we were looking to buy our unit but there are a number of advantages of this configuration:

- More space for the two sleepers.

- Less disturbance to each other at night when moving about.

- Two less intimate campers can sleep there without feeling "cramped".

- The entire unit fells a lot bigger inside with more room to walk the length of the floor.

- Easier access to storage.

- More room to stand up & change clothes dress etc.

Disadvantages?

- less cuddly

(Not an insurmountable issue however )

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Evan,
You did a great job! The PO did a similar change to ours. What I really like is the new access to 12V and AC. I have an extension cord running from the outlet near the television (we do not have the BR TV), around the closest twin behind the night table for use of CPAP by furthest twin when 12V is needed. The AC outlet is below the mattress level of that twin which is awkward. How complicated was it to relocate those outlets above the night table?
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
Evan, You did a nice job! What did you use for flooring? We used Alure Ultra and sure loks like what you used. I installed it the length of the trailer not across. I thought the installation would be easier going across but the wife thought it looked better lengthwise. We went the other direction going from twins to queen. The only remaining item I need to address is dealing with a storage door that was under one of the twins from the outside now opens to open floor area.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
Evan,
You did a great job! The PO did a similar change to ours. What I really like is the new access to 12V and AC. I have an extension cord running from the outlet near the television (we do not have the BR TV), around the closest twin behind the night table for use of CPAP by furthest twin when 12V is needed. The AC outlet is below the mattress level of that twin which is awkward. How complicated was it to relocate those outlets above the night table?
I had the front inside Wall/Skin off to install the Window drains so it was relatively easy to run an extra 12V cable to the planned location. I actually left the AC wiring more or less where it was except to pull a little of the excess cable from around the previous exit site to create a loop near to the new location.

Here is what I had in place before I closed it back up:

I did not reroute the AC wiring just pulled enough into the forward area to create the loop.

I tied my new Inverter into this Bedroom circuit in order to have AC from the inverter running the TV or any other AC stuff from the two Bedroom plugs. (One over nightstand & the factory installed outlet near TV) The Inverter can only run this native circuit if I throw an accessory switch at the Panel. Note: The factory has the converter/battery charger tied into the Bedroom circuit. I switched this to the otherwise unused "Microwave circuit" which exits behind the gas stove...)

If you were willing to commit to cutting a hole where you want the new outlets, it is quite likely you could fish out the AC cable from its home there. You could also run a wire from the 12V block up front & keep it hidden.

Worst case scenario though you might have to take off the one front interior panel if they routed the AC wire in a different way.

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
Evan, You did a nice job! What did you use for flooring? We used Alure Ultra and sure loks like what you used. I installed it the length of the trailer not across. I thought the installation would be easier going across but the wife thought it looked better lengthwise. We went the other direction going from twins to queen. The only remaining item I need to address is dealing with a storage door that was under one of the twins from the outside now opens to open floor area.
HA! you guessed right. It is the locking Allure Ultra. It is relatively heavy but since it's all vinyl I thought it would be relatively durable if water were to penetrate the floors again. (I hope never again , but better to have something water friendly.)

I opted for the side to side installation as I thought it would be easier to install with fewer end to end joints. ( I was worried that these could potentially open up if the locking mechanism failed.) So far I have not seen any joints open up so fingers crossed. I also thought that it might look less like a tunnel if the orientation was across rather than lengthwise but I'm not sure that makes any difference.

The installation was really pretty straightforward. I took all the interior cabinetry out to do the installation which made it much simpler.

-evan
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Laguna Beach , California
Wow! You did an amazing job! We're thinking of doing the same to our 25' FB...but also hope to get bunks in there. We are about to address a leak as well, and considering installing new floor as the original is very discolored.

To what extent did you have to remove cabinetry to install the floor? We are already going to have the table, benches and sofa out, so to me it makes sense to replace the floor at the same time. What's your opinion on the job/amount of work involved?
parker10302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Evan,

Fantastic job! I am doing the same thing so this is definitely an inspiration! Two questions: Where did you get the curved piece of wood for the base of the bed or did you lay it up and epoxy yourself. Second; Where did you get the custom fit mattresses that math the airstream curve.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker10302 View Post
Wow! You did an amazing job! We're thinking of doing the same to our 25' FB...but also hope to get bunks in there. We are about to address a leak as well, and considering installing new floor as the original is very discolored.

To what extent did you have to remove cabinetry to install the floor? We are already going to have the table, benches and sofa out, so to me it makes sense to replace the floor at the same time. What's your opinion on the job/amount of work involved?
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I had decided that I wanted to redo the countertops as well as the floor and bedroom beds so I had a little more motivation to remove the interior cabinetry. The bathroom and kitchen cabinets were relatively easy to remove in their respective modules. The plumbing was the most fiddly aspect of the removal IMHO.

Once the cabinetry was out it made the flooring much easier to install.

(After you clean up the incredible mess left behind by the factory people...

As you can imagine, it's a lot easier laying the floor without having to accommodate the curved cabinets and use moldings here:

Because I was also doing the exterior belly band, window drains, bedroom conversion & the cabinet countertops etc. it was a lot of work. my garage looked like this:

But if I were to replace the floor again, I would definitely remove the cabinetry leaving only the Fridge to shower modules and the pantry module in place, removing all the other cabinets. I made sure to not screw down the floor in too many places in order to allow it to float. (Securing cabinets to walls rather than the floor.) So far the whole thing has held together & the neither the floor nor the cabinets seem to be moving inappropriately or separating.

-evan