Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Queen to Twin conversion - 25' FB FC

After traveling in our new AS several times, we realized that we did not enjoy the "east-west" queen bed in the 25' FB layout. Difficult access to the front side of the bed, limited storage, and general lack of utility had us looking at the possiblility of converting to twins. We first looked at buying "factory" furniture for the conversion, but the pricing quickly redirected us to doing this ourselves.

Several people asked me to post photos of our conversion from Queen bed to Twins in our 2015 25' Forward Bedroom Flying Cloud. First, I need to give credit to Evan (username eheffa) for posting his conversion, which inspired me to take this on. His conversion can be seen at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...se-107732.html

I did not take photos of the bedroom prior to starting work (looked a lot like Evan's), but here are photos of the underbed area as I had started disassembly. Note the Converter-AC/DC Power distribution panel in the right foreground. After this photo was taken I shortened all the cabling (disconnected from panel, cut out ~ 24", reconnected the wiring) in order to cleanly relocate the panel to the side of the new twin bed.

Here fabrication of the new twin base has started, reusing as much of the queen base as I could. Also see the cut-down bedroom closet - I cut off the lower drawer section and re-hung the upper hanging section.

Here you see the plywood platform for the twin, contoured to fit the AS and the base. I made a duplicate template from kraft paper to send to the mattress factory (I used Texas Mattress Makers in Houston, TX - highly recommend them). Second photo shows test fit of bedside cabinet. Note the dryer vent tube used to relocate the furnace outlet previously located in the wall at the foot of the new drivers side twin. Also note the wood support strips screwed to the AS wall to support the outside edge of the mattress platform.

This shows the re-routed furnace duct and vent along with the reused drawer slides from the original bedroom closet. Second photo shows the flexible wire channel I used to route the AC and USB cables from the original location into the side of the new bedside table. This is intended to hide/organize computer cabling for a desk/workstation. I used it because it is flexible enough to contour to the curved wall of the AS. It is normally hidden under bedding.

Near final - new mattresses in place. Two big drawers in the bedside table versus two tiny ones in the original closet. Three large under-bed storage areas accessible from the inside, plus I added exterior underbed access on the driver side of the AS (ran out of photo uploads for that project!)

Check out that long central hallway! Makes it feel like we added 50% to the size of the AS.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg
Views:	2802
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	278619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Views:	2661
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	278620  

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	2704
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	278621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	2734
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	278622  

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg
Views:	2652
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	278623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	2903
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	278624  

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	2608
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	278625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Views:	2691
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	278626  

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg
Views:	2672
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	278627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	2649
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	278628  

Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You made this conversion look easy. How did you match the finish with the night stand drawers.

When you run the LP furnace how much airflow do you get out of the new furnance run to the nightstand. I've just had my Classic 25fb converted to twins and had the furnace run to the far end of the street twin next to the nightstand and when the furnace is running there is too little airflow coming out. I ordered three new vent covers that also have an adjustable baffle. I plan to baffle the hallway vent to push more warm air up to the bedroom vent.

Kelvin
Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Nice work! Thanks for sharing. I am interested to see how you did the exterior storage as well. To me that seems like a huge task. Thanks again
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You made this conversion look easy. How did you match the finish with the night stand drawers.

When you run the LP furnace how much airflow do you get out of the new furnance run to the nightstand. I've just had my Classic 25fb converted to twins and had the furnace run to the far end of the street twin next to the nightstand and when the furnace is running there is too little airflow coming out. I ordered three new vent covers that also have an adjustable baffle. I plan to baffle the hallway vent to push more warm air up to the bedroom vent.

Kelvin
The conversion was not that difficult, assuming you have basic woodworking skills and a few tools. It took a while, mainly because I was figuring everything out as I went, and doing the work on weekends and evenings after the day job.

I bought the exact laminate Airstream used in our decor to cover any new woodwork. Airstream customer service was able to give me the manufacturer and pattern. I then ordered online from Lowes for delivery at a store near me.

We have not noticed any lack of airflow from the relocated vent. Seems to be adequate. Do you have any idea how they routed the ductwork and what size they used?
Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Nice work! Thanks for sharing. I am interested to see how you did the exterior storage as well. To me that seems like a huge task. Thanks again
It was not as huge as I thought it would be. Have to admit it took a long time to work up the nerve to start cutting holes in our brand new Airstream. Main thing was to get the right parts and tools, and carefully layout before cutting. I will make a separate post showing the install.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Wow! It looks awesome! Nice job.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Storage Compartment Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I just put up a post on installing the storage compartment door. Intimidating, but not as huge as I thought it would be. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f480...ml#post1903420
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
You did an excellent job!! Our 2009 25' FC had the conversion to twins as well and we love it. While looking at your pictures I noticed your wall light next to the wardrobe closet and I remembered something funny our 3 year old grandson said this summer. Judah had been sitting on my bed and noticed the lamp so he came to me and said: "Grandma, why do you have a shower over your bed!?!" The kid doesn't miss a thing!
youngros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
I have posted previously about the convertible set up I have in my 25 AS. Our 2005 came with twins and we wanted a queen. I am in the yacht business and many of our charter boats have a set up where you can have twins or a king in a stateroom. So now I can have both. We set the table in the middle down on the floor, have two pieces of plywood under each bunk we can pull out and turn sideways, push the mattresses together, take a large kayak strap wrap around both mattresses, give a slight tug and we have a king size bed with a small shelf outside each bunk for bed side tables. Works great and takes about ten minutes to set up. Many times we keep the twins for short trips or put together for long ones. Great set up that we love and answers the on going debate, twins or queen, [king].
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
We have not noticed any lack of airflow from the relocated vent. Seems to be adequate. Do you have any idea how they routed the ductwork and what size they used?
On my install the 4" ducting takes a right angle up turn as it exits the shower wall then runs up just on top of the street frame similar to yours but mine drops down to exit.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366/2008-classic-25fb-remodel-reveal-160855.html#post1891915

I've always thought the air from the shower wall vent even before the conversion was quite a bit weaker than the hall vent below the hall wardrobe. After the conversion the hall vents seems a little stronger from memory. I think the furnace has a dedicated exit for the dinette then another dedicated exit that shares heated air for the hall, bathroom, bedroom and holding tanks. The bath heating vent has always been weak.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Beautiful work. I have a few questions: What are the dimensions of the new beds? Are they the same dimensions as Airstream's? Do your feet hit the wall? I've wondered how my 6'2" husband would fit in the 25FB twin bed.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
Beautiful work. I have a few questions: What are the dimensions of the new beds? Are they the same dimensions as Airstream's? Do your feet hit the wall? I've wondered how my 6'2" husband would fit in the 25FB twin bed.
I don't remember the exact dimensions and I won't be able to measure for a couple of weeks. From memory, the beds are longer than the queen that came with the unit. In any case, i'm 6'2" and it works fine for me.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The twin beds should be 78" long and 34" wide. That is what I chose for my twin conversion.

Kelvin
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Where did you get your mattresses?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Bilbo,
Great job! Do you have any pictures of the top of your nightstand? I did a similar conversion last year and am trying to figure out where to route the power and if I want a small shelf...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Where did you get your mattresses?
We had them made at Houston Mattress Makers. You can buy from AS, but these were much less expensive, and I think a more comfortable mattress than the queen that came from our AS.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Night stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Bilbo,
Great job! Do you have any pictures of the top of your nightstand? I did a similar conversion last year and am trying to figure out where to route the power and if I want a small shelf...
Thanks! The best picture I have it the photo of the bedroom in the original post. If you click to see the photo at original size, then zoom in you can see the plugs and small shelf.

Have to be careful that the overall height of the bed stand does not interfere with the curtains.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
We had them made at Houston Mattress Makers. You can buy from AS, but these were much less expensive, and I think a more comfortable mattress than the queen that came from our AS.
We're going to go visit the showroom on Saturday, do you remember what style or model mattress you got? i like the design you got. did you get inter-spring or foam?

Mike
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket53 View Post
We're going to go visit the showroom on Saturday, do you remember what style or model mattress you got? i like the design you got. did you get inter-spring or foam?

Mike
I don't remember a specific design. They are foam mattresses, latex.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
A great job. We love out twins.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote